Rentals through Turo?

Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Rentals through Turo?

Have any of you tried Turo? It's like airbnb but for cars...

I'd be interested to know of anyone who would rent a car for a low monthly rate that then uses it to uber or lyft?

Jon
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:50 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

I highly doubt that anyone would rent you their car if they knew you were going to use it for Uber/Lyft, not to mention that you need to register your vehicle with the Uber/Lyft, which is going to be a problem when you're not the registered owner of the vehicle.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I will be picking up a Porsche Boxter tomorrow for the first time.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Putnik
I will be picking up a Porsche Boxter tomorrow for the first time.
Very cool.

Turo gives access to sporty cars that otherwise would not be possible with the big box rental companies.

I'm planning to do weekend rentals of sporty wheels when I'm in Hawaii for a 6month job assignment
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Here's how the process went.
I searched for he cars on their web site. I found a 2005 Porsche Boxter, base. The location was in Los Angeles. Reviews for the owner seemed ok. So picked it. The price listed for the car was $99 per day. When I clicked reserve, it added a $9.90 trip fee and then I added a Basic Protection insurance for $14.85. All together it was $123.75.
When setting up an account you have to give your driver license information. Also, on your profile, there is a check box to check that you know how to drive a manual transmission car. Without checking that it will not let you reserve a manual.
After I reserved the car, it told me the exact address of where the car will be, but then I received a message from the owner telling me a different address. I thought that was slightly suspicious bu went with it anyways. The next morning, I picked up the car. The owner showed me all the little scratches and other blemishes and explained how the convertible roof works and off I went.
I took the car along the Angeles Crest Highway and some other canyon and then took into onto Mullholland Highway and ultimately ending up at the PCH near Malibu. What an amazing drive and car. If I lived in California, I would most likely own small convertible car such as a Miata, S2000, Z3/4 or Boxter.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:54 am

Very nice!

I wonder if most credit cards' rental car coverage would cover Turo? You did opt for the extra insurance I see.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Very nice!

I wonder if most credit cards' rental car coverage would cover Turo? You did opt for the extra insurance I see.
Turo says to assume it won't (see below). Now, while they do have a financial interest in selling their own insurance, I'd imagine that, at this early stage, they'd want to make renting through them as popular as possible, so if credit card insurance worked, I assume they'd say that.

https://support.turo.com/hc/en-us/ar...-my-Turo-trip-
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Turo says to assume it won't (see below). Now, while they do have a financial interest in selling their own insurance, I'd imagine that, at this early stage, they'd want to make renting through them as popular as possible, so if credit card insurance worked, I assume they'd say that.

https://support.turo.com/hc/en-us/ar...-my-Turo-trip-
Thanks for the info.

I went ahead and called Chase Sapphire Reserve (my card) and he said Turo is specifically excluded from any rental coverage and the card does NOT cover it!

He said other services like ZipCar, Car 2 Go, Enterprise Car Share, are not absolutely excluded but is on a case by case basis.

So very good to know and so will definitely need the additional coverage through Turo if I want to rent with them.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Thanks for the info.

I went ahead and called Chase Sapphire Reserve (my card) and he said Turo is specifically excluded from any rental coverage and the card does NOT cover it!

He said other services like ZipCar, Car 2 Go, Enterprise Car Share, are not absolutely excluded but is on a case by case basis.

So very good to know and so will definitely need the additional coverage through Turo if I want to rent with them.
Zipcar has it's own CDW coverage and you either have an excess or not. As for Turo you should check whether your own car insurance covers you under Turo. There's an article by Doug DeMuro about using Turo.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Zipcar has it's own CDW coverage and you either have an excess or not. As for Turo you should check whether your own car insurance covers you under Turo. There's an article by Doug DeMuro about using Turo.
Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the famous Doug DeMuro within the auto enthusiast circle so will definitely check that out!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.