Rental cars with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 25, 18, 5:55 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Xlr
Wiki Link
Please include the year, make, and model--and option trim, if known. Also include car size classification.

Hertz
201? Hyundai Sonata (Full-size)
2016 Hyundai Santa Fe (Standard SUV)
2016 GMC Yukon
2016 Chevrolet Impala LT/LTZ (PCAR/class G)

Avis
2016 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4SE (Full-size)

Budget

National
2017 Ford Fusion SE
2016 Chevrolet Malibu LT
2017 Ford Taurus Limited
2016 Dodge Durango R/T

Alamo

Hertz
2016 Hyundai Santa Fe (Standard SUV)

Avis
Ford Fusion (full-size)
Kia Optima (full-size)

Budget

National

Alamo
2017 Ford Fusion
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 16, 17, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
Bump.

Does no one else actively seek out rental cars with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?
I actually avoid them.

Just kidding. But I usually find myself getting so annoyed with CarPlay that I yank the cord out of the USB jack and stick my own USB charger in and just connect the phone via Bluetooth. The implementation in many cars is supremely slow. It's also annoying that it takes over my phone as soon as I plug it in and start the car, even if I'm stopped and parked (shutting the phone's screen off, etc.). And then if I try to tell Siri to switch back to Waze, I get yelled at that it's horribly unsafe to do non-Apple-CarPlay-approved things (OK, she just tells me "I'm sorry, I can't do that now," but it's practically the same thing).

In the current implementation, I'm just not a CarPlay fan.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 25, 18, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
Not quite the same issue, but why on earth do BMWs need a subscription to use Apple CarPlay? What a scam. Reminds me of the days of paying for Xbox gold so you can access the AT&T Uverse to use it as a Set-top box...
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 15, 19, 1:30 pm

I have been doing this for at least the past year. I am frustrated that car rental companies don't advertise the AA/AC (Android Auto/Apple CarPlay) compatibility of their fleets. I know Chevrolet has AA/AC but it is nearly impossible to select a Chevrolet when renting online.
Old Nov 18, 19, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Noah View Post
I have been doing this for at least the past year. I am frustrated that car rental companies don't advertise the AA/AC (Android Auto/Apple CarPlay) compatibility of their fleets. I know Chevrolet has AA/AC but it is nearly impossible to select a Chevrolet when renting online.
Welcome to FT! Given that most rental car companies carry multiple trim levels of any given vehicle, some of which may or may not have CarPlay, this would be difficult. But I've also been frustrated with how little attention rental car companies give to their fleet guides.
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:36 am

Programs: Enterprise Plus
Android Auto equipped cars i have used last year.

From ERAC:
  • 2019 Cadillac XTS
  • 2019 Nissan Altima
  • 2019 Charger GT
  • 2019 Ford Edge Titanium

From Budget/Avis:
  • 2019 Mustang GT
  • 2019 Kia Optima FE
  • 2019 Chrysler 300

From Hertz:
  • 2019 GMC Terrain LT

Camrys tend to be CarPlay only, so I actually switched a couple of times when given a Camry.
Some of the econo-boxes i rented didn't have Android Auto, but i generally book a fullsize, and ensure i get one with Android Auto.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: