Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Costco for car rentals - seems to be cheapest always!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco for car rentals - seems to be cheapest always!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
So this has happened twice. About a month ago, reserved a 3-day one way rental for tomorrow on Costco Travel (Alamo) for $225. Checked the rates last night for the hell of it and, dang, $53 for same. Booked and canceled previous. So worth checking 24-48 hours before rental.
This happens all the time. I generally find it useful to check at 30, 21 and 3 days mark. Rates are tied to anticipated demand, but often adjust when initial estimate is off. This is why I never ever use prepaid rates.

Just checked a 3-day rental for 31 Aug that I made 2 months ago. Rate dropped from $171 (Hertz) to $93 (Alamo via Costco) for an SUV. Significant savings but not a big Alamo fan so hopefully others will match soon.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by leland
Apologies to resurrect this thread, but was going to use costco for the free extra driver. Without being married that's a big savings. Would love workarounds to get that benefit w/o using costco.

Join USAA. They usually also include a free extra driver, particularly a spouse. Although their company choices are limited, they frequently come in less than Costco, which I use much of the time.

But, I shop all around, have a bunch of codes, and usually find one magic combo that all of a sudden brings the rate way down. Then I check again, right up to the rental date, as many times when there are a lot of vehicles around, prices can drop precipitously.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Costco hasn't been the lowest for me recently. That distinction went to Autoslash.
cblaisd and dgreen12 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
This happens all the time. I generally find it useful to check at 30, 21 and 3 days mark. Rates are tied to anticipated demand, but often adjust when initial estimate is off. This is why I never ever use prepaid rates.

Just checked a 3-day rental for 31 Aug that I made 2 months ago. Rate dropped from $171 (Hertz) to $93 (Alamo via Costco) for an SUV. Significant savings but not a big Alamo fan so hopefully others will match soon.

I use a pre paid rate back in July when I went to Pittsburgh on a one way. I started looking at rates like 2 months prior and decided to so a pre paid rate around 15 days left which ended up being the cheapest. Yeah maybe I was lucky but in the end I would set yourself a set price for a car class you want and if it reaches for it and your willing to accept the fact it could be lower it's no loss if you do a pre paid. I did check the rates later for mine and it went up around $200 in total price.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I used to have Costo membership sometime back and had set up a Costco travel account. The travel account is still valid and I was able to make a car rental booking without a problem. Is it really possible to make a reservation without a valid Costco membership?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I used to have Costo membership sometime back and had set up a Costco travel account. The travel account is still valid and I was able to make a car rental booking without a problem. Is it really possible to make a reservation without a valid Costco membership?
You can still rent a car however they might ask your Costco membership card when picking up the vehicle.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Costco hasn't been the lowest for me recently. That distinction went to Autoslash.
gotrentalcars.com just showed week in Spain incl.taxes 20% lower than Autoslash. Any idea who in heck gotrentalcars.com is?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:44 pm

Anyone know how to search for the Costco cash deals? As in, just booked a rental at $45 which includes a $30 Costco cash card.
Popped up randomly. I don't know if this is just a particular promo or not.

It was only for Budget, nor for the others.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Anyone know how to search for the Costco cash deals? As in, just booked a rental at $45 which includes a $30 Costco cash card.
Popped up randomly. I don't know if this is just a particular promo or not.

It was only for Budget, nor for the others.
Well I have never received my cash cards. Both were for $20. I am located in Canada so not sure maybe that's the reason.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
If i make multiple reservations, will I be penalized for not picking up at one of the companies? I just have a feeling they won't have the SUV I need so I would rather have backup.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:07 pm

I usually book way far out and then recheck almost daily. Canceling and rebooking as necessary. Most always end up with a super good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.