Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
This information is expert advice on where to look and how to save on Alamo rental rates.
  • Some coupon codes are stackable with a Contract ID.
  • AutoSlash is one website for getting quotes on rentals and tracking price drops.
  • Government Employees can use the code "GOVBIZ" for a discount
  • Memberships in certain organizations can receive reduced rates:
    • CostCo
    • BJ's
    • AARP
    • LATAM
Print Wikipost

Alamo Discount Codes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Only if the deal allows for free cancellation. If you have to pay $50 to cancel the prepaid reservation, then it means you are leaving money on the table if prices drop (which they often do as the pickup date approaches). Even worse, if your plans change you're out the entire amount you paid. Wouldn't you pay a few dollars more to protect yourself?

See Post #1180 . The OP plans to book a pay-at-counter rate. For the five-day rental, Budget is offering a pay-at-counter rate of $189, tax included, for a full size, using the AARP discount code and the $15-off-of-S125 coupon.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:14 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by guv1976
See Post #1180 . The OP plans to book a pay-at-counter rate. For the five-day rental, Budget is offering a pay-at-counter rate of $189, tax included, for a full size, using the AARP discount code and the $15-off-of-S125 coupon.
Sorry, my bad. I thought you were referring to a prepay rate.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:10 pm

I actually wound up booking through autoslash at Alamo. Got it for $180 Elantra or similar, pay at counter, free cancellation. Budget was higher. I'll still watch and hope for something cheaper but I doubt it. One time in Vegas I got a car for $39 INCLUDING all taxes and fees for 4 days!! I was shocked!! But those days are long gone!

Thanks everyone for your input. It is appreciated!
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by oklamom
I actually wound up booking through autoslash at Alamo. Got it for $180 Elantra or similar, pay at counter, free cancellation. Budget was higher. I'll still watch and hope for something cheaper but I doubt it. One time in Vegas I got a car for $39 INCLUDING all taxes and fees for 4 days!! I was shocked!! But those days are long gone!

Be sure to track your reservation with us so you get notified of lower rates.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:58 am

Red face

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Be sure to track your reservation with us so you get notified of lower rates.
Thanks! I actually did that, got an email showing lower rate, however, it was for the smaller companies..advantage and payless and I'm not willing to go with those companies. I'd rather pay a little more for a company I'm familiar with and I get travel miles for.

Also, I don't see where you can put in your loyalty number or frequent travel number. Am I missing it? Because when I called the company...once they put in my frequent flyer number it raised the rate because of the surcharge. Be nice to already have that quoted in.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great that you found a decent rate. Be aware, though, that for the $189 that Budget charges, you would not only get a full-size car (which you might not want or need), but also certain AARP insurance benefits, like primary 25/50/10 third-party liability insurance, and a limit of $5,000 liability for loss or damage to the rental car itself.

But if you don't need any of those things, it sounds like you did very well.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Great that you found a decent rate. Be aware, though, that for the $189 that Budget charges, you would not only get a full-size car (which you might not want or need), but also certain AARP insurance benefits, like primary 25/50/10 third-party liability insurance, and a limit of $5,000 liability for loss or damage to the rental car itself.

But if you don't need any of those things, it sounds like you did very well.
Thank you for the info. Im already stretching at $180. In fact, once I added my FF number it went up to $190 for the FF surcharge. UGH!!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:54 pm

Thanks! I actually did that, got an email showing lower rate, however, it was for the smaller companies..advantage and payless and I'm not willing to go with those companies. I'd rather pay a little more for a company I'm familiar with and I get travel miles for.
Hopefully one of the major companies will drop eventually.

Also, I don't see where you can put in your loyalty number or frequent travel number. Am I missing it?
Loyalty numbers can be added on the Priceline checkout page if you end up booking with us. More info here. It's tough to compute that stuff ahead of time. For example, with Hertz, you could elect to earn Herz Gold Rewards points where there would be no surcharge, or you could earn frequent flyer point where there would be a surcharge. It depends on the company, the situation and your preferences.
oklamom likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the info. Im already stretching at $180. In fact, once I added my FF number it went up to $190 for the FF surcharge. UGH!!
Don't add your frequent-flyer number to a car rental unless you are getting a sufficient number of miles for the additional fee you are being charged. Some car-rental companies do not impose a surcharge if you credit the rental to a foreign -- as opposed to a domestic -- FFP.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:16 am

Does anyone know of a Coupon Code for Alamo which I can stack with a Contract ID (either GOVRNR or Costco) @ ATL?

ATL, 9-13 May 2019, 7am-1pm, Pickup or SUV (Current booking $164)

I've tried several Coupon Codes but seem to be getting a location specific error: "We’re sorry, but this Coupon is no longer available at this location."

(Quick shout-out to Auto Slash....thanks for saving me $ over the years!)

Thx
Old May 15, 2019, 8:21 am

It looks like any upgrade coupon from Alamo cannot be used for the Caribbean, specifically for the Dominican Republic....
I get coupon emails all the times from being an insider but it never works for the DR, Also tried the Costco upgrade coupon and nope.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I am picking up a car on Alamo for $25 a day all taxes included.

Category was midsize SUV, I will let you know what I end up with. MIA location
Willing to go from SUV to car, if the car is nice. Hope it works fine.

Also got Mercedes Benz E Class, 5 days. Taxes included on Sixt $170.

I think I can compete with AutoSlash :P
Old May 20, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by mvtm
I am picking up a car on Alamo for $25 a day all taxes included.

Category was midsize SUV, I will let you know what I end up with. MIA location
Willing to go from SUV to car, if the car is nice. Hope it works fine.

Also got Mercedes Benz E Class, 5 days. Taxes included on Sixt $170.

I think I can compete with AutoSlash :P
Easy enough to find out... Just enter your reservations for tracking at autoslash.com/track and you'll see if we can beat your rate.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Found a code that behaves rather strangely so YMMV even more than usual on this one.

Without the code, my best option for a 3-day rental this weekend at ORD was $137 all in for an Alamo full-size plus 600 Southwest points. (Yes, full-size was less that mid or standard and equal in price to econ and compact.) Costco code.

With the code, it drops my rate to $106 all in for a midsize SUV, no option to purchase 600 WN points for $5-6, and the full-size car went up to a somewhat higher rate. (Like $150 all in.) There's actually an alert on the confirmation page that I cannot add an airline number because this contract doesn't allow it.

Since I don't particularly care what kind of car I get as long as it's bigger than a midsize, and since the points aren't worth anywhere near $31, this works for me. It's advertised as a $25 off code and it's netting me about $26 off, albeit in a different car type.

Code is AD8698SDF. I stacked with the Costco contract ID. When I remove the Costco ID, I have the option of a $116 rate that includes the Southwest points. Since that's basically breakeven on the value of 600 points, I'm booking this one without buying any points.

Anyone else ever seen the Costco contract ID tinker with your ability to purchase airline miles/points with your rental?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:46 pm

I'd just wish I could get a coupon for the Dominican Republic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.