Wiki Posts
Search

$10.98/day upgrade to ANY car

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
$10.98/day upgrade to ANY car

Don't know if deals like this have been posted, just wanted to share my experience this past weekend.

I always book via Hotwire (2-3x month rentals), unless a quick compare with Hertz shows the same or any better specials - otherwise I have no car hire loyalty except my wallet.

This past weekend involved a trip to MSP. Arrival Friday morning, depart Sunday - so only two days. I booked a "Manager's Special" via Hotwire at $7.99/day.
I've seen the offer before, maybe booked it once and got nothing better than what they said it might be, but this time it showed to be the lowest price of any car - which is what I always get.
Yes, this means getting a smaller than Smart car, but it's usually me +1 maybe with 2-3 bags. Cheap, simple, easy on gas is all fine with me.

But on Friday, when I got to the counter at MSP Alamo, somebody was at the counter so I decided I had time to put up with all the crap that the kiosk was going to throw at me...

Then I got near the end and it asked for optional upgrade, which is usually up to a standard car (or less) for 2-3 time my originally scheduled reservation.
So I start scanning the list:
- Economy: $10.98/day upgrade
- standard: $10.98/day upgrade
- basic suv: $10.98/day upgrade
- minivan: $10.98/day upgrade
- premium suv: $10.98/day upgrade
- suburban: $10.98/day upgrade
- premium: $10.98/day upgrade
- pickup: $10.98/day upgrade
- people mover van: $10.98/day upgrade

EVERYTHING was $10.98/day upgrade.

So I picked up a new Cadillac CTS for only $19/day (7.99+10.98)
Assistant in the lot didn't know what Premium category was, had to go ask. Then had nothing in that class at Alamo, so we walked over to National (I think) who is their parent company and got it...right next to the Maserati (which was not part of Alamo's category listing )
Caddy, was only a 3.6L, so nothing like the -V, but still a nice ride for a great price.

I don't know if this is a common 'feature', but willing to try again sometime soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.