Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Upgrade strategy help - Book cheapest or book G

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Is it a better strategy to book the cheapest car any class and be willing to pay more $/day to upgrade? Or is it better to book a G (Premium) for example, but be willing to pay less to upgrade?

I rented a car last year from the location for ~2 days $100 total booked as G and they upgraded to an Infiniti for an agreed $20/day (that ended up being $0/day because they said the system wouldn't let them add $ to the rate code I used )

Details:
- no status at any rental company
- 2 week rental for vacation with 1 other family member, rent from CLT, planning a Budget rental
- Not sure which car I want, the Infiniti was good last time. Suggestions on particular cars to ask for? Planning to drive along the whole Blue Ridge Pkwy and then a few days in DC. The AWD is useful, not sure otherwise which vehicle I'd most prefer.
- I can book a compact/standard for ~$400-$450 or G for $650. This price difference works out to about $10/day+fees. So I'd probably be willing to offer them ~$15/day max with the G reservation or ~$25/day with the cheaper car.

Additional question: Does the longer rental term (14 days) in general make an upgrade offer more or less likely?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.