Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

WARNING: Virgin refusing to credit miles for Alamo rental

Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT

I rented an Alamo car back in March of this year, crediting miles to my Virgin Atlantic account. After waiting ~90 days, I contacted Alamo, who claimed that request was sent to Virgin, ball was in their court. Waited ~30 days, contacted Virgin, received the following, ~30 days later:

Thank you for writing to us regarding the credit of miles to your Flying Club account.
Having checked with Alamo, it is with regret that we are unable to credit miles for your car rental on 19 March 2015 on this occasion, as it was booked through Alamo Insiders direct booking channel and not via the Flying club website, which does not qualify for Flying Club miles.

How is this possible? There is a pulldown on the Alamo site for VS, receipts show my VS account number.

What next?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have never flown VS, collect Elevate miles from car rental and hotel stays, redeem for Hilton Hhonors points.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:16 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by diver858
I rented an Alamo car back in March of this year, crediting miles to my Virgin Atlantic account. After waiting ~90 days, I contacted Alamo, who claimed that request was sent to Virgin, ball was in their court. Waited ~30 days, contacted Virgin, received the following, ~30 days later:

Thank you for writing to us regarding the credit of miles to your Flying Club account.
Having checked with Alamo, it is with regret that we are unable to credit miles for your car rental on 19 March 2015 on this occasion, as it was booked through Alamo Insiders direct booking channel and not via the Flying club website, which does not qualify for Flying Club miles.

How is this possible? There is a pulldown on the Alamo site for VS, receipts show my VS account number.

What next?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have never flown VS, collect Elevate miles from car rental and hotel stays, redeem for Hilton Hhonors points.
First off, I would re-file for the credit using the form here. If you get denied again, I would point out to them that nothing in the terms and conditions on this page says you need to be logged into the VS Flying Club website. In fact, to the contrary, the site with the virgin-atlantic.com domain name is actually pointing you to an Alamo.com site to book, so their assertion does not hold any water.

Furthermore, this site says specifically:

Terms and Conditions
To qualify for Flying Club miles, reservations must be pre booked through either: Alamo's dedicated Virgin Atlantic website, or direct with Virgin Holidays or with Virgin Atlantic. No flight is required to earn Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles. Your Flying Club membership number must be provided at the time of rental. Flying Club miles can be earned for rentals at any Alamo location. For more information please contact Alamo.

Now it depends on how you interpret the part about where you need to book. Is it enough to book at Alamo.com or do you have to book at "Alamo's dedicated Virgin Atlantic website". I probably would cite that in my argument, but it does bring up an interesting question.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Terms and Conditions
To qualify for Flying Club miles, reservations must be pre booked through either: Alamo's dedicated Virgin Atlantic website, or direct with Virgin Holidays or with Virgin Atlantic.
This sounds pretty clear to me, you need to go via the Flying Club website. That said, they really shouldn't make VA miles an option if you book via a route where you can't earn them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.