Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Automatic Transmission Rentals in Germany

Old Jul 8, 15, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Hi all

Will need a car for a week in the Frankfurt area and I am seeing only Manual Transmission cars available for all classes at orbitz..... even SUVs???

Is this the norm and can I request A/T once I touch down ?

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 15, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by londol392 View Post
Will need a car for a week in the Frankfurt area and I am seeing only Manual Transmission cars available for all classes at orbitz..... even SUVs???

Is this the norm and can I request A/T once I touch down ?
Yes, manual transmissions are dominant in Europe. No, if you book via Orbitz without knowing whether the rental company even has automatic cars at that location, such a request either may not work or may give you sticker shock (because they'll charge you a walk-up price to switch car types at the last minute). So don't book on Orbitz if you need an automatic and it doesn't show you any.

Some rentals car companies definitely have automatic transmission cars at FRA, but Orbitz may not show that. So you may need to search at each rental car company individually (on their own websites, not through a third-party website like Orbitz).

And availability may be limited, so you need to plug in your specific dates to know what's really available.

For example, if you go to www.avis.com, enter Frankfurt, and select 8/16 to 8/23 (you didn't specify your dates so I picked a week over a month away), you see a bunch of car types. You have click See All Detiails(+) to show the Transmission type. Of the cars available that week, only Compact and Full Size (which show up twice on the list of car types) are available in Automatic as well as Manual; all the other car types are Manual only.

At Avis, this may vary of course with your specific dates. And what car types each other rental car company has in automatic for your specific dates might be completely different. (You can only find out for sure by checking each of their sites, plugging in your actual dates.)
Old Jul 11, 15, 5:35 pm

Your best option for a decent automatic in FRA is with Sixt
Old Jul 14, 15, 5:18 am

Surcharge for an automatic car is often quite high, i.e. a compact car with AT might be more expensive than a full size car with MT.

Therefore it won´t work reserving a car with MT via orbitz and hoping to get one with AT.
Old Jul 14, 15, 10:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
If you're using Orbitz, you can click on the "More Search Options" link, and select Automatic transmission.

You definitely have to reserve an automatic if you want one.