Experiences with Silvercar

Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

An assistant manager shared that introductions of both the Q5 and A5 have exceeded expectations. He's very interested to see what happens to A5 rentals in cold weather locations starting in October.

He also mentioned that since Audi has taken over, the fleet is turning over more regularly. Two-year-old cars with 30K+ miles should now be a rarity.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
. Two-year-old cars with 30K+ miles should now be a rarity.
A pity. I kind of preferred the B8 over the B9, and they gave me whopping discounts. I was delighted and only did National when I had to. Now it's a closer thing.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
A pity. I kind of preferred the B8 over the B9, and they gave me whopping discounts. I was delighted and only did National when I had to. Now it's a closer thing.
Having owned an B8, and now a B9, I don't know why you'd choose the former.

The B9 is more advanced in every conceivable fashion. It's also faster and gets better gas mileage...And the B&O blows the old B&O out of the water (IMO).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by tuolumne
I don't know why you'd choose the former..
Personal preference. I like broccoli too.

To get back on topic, I have noticed dynamic pricing has gotten very dynamic lately. It can change over the course of a day.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I have noticed dynamic pricing has gotten very dynamic lately. It can change over the course of a day.
Yes, and more often the price goes up. My experience is that it's best to book as early as you can.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:45 am

I am looking at a late fall rental, and was hoping that the A5 might be less expensive then because it would be an unpopular time of year. As it happens, Silvercar beat me to it. It's not available at all that time of year.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Trying it for the first time late October for travel to IAD. Their Q5 is cheaper than comparable SUVs, when you consider non-family member drivers on the agreement. Looking forward to testing this out...
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Looks they've been bought out by Audi completely.

Silvercar is now Silvercar by Audi.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:21 pm

Any recent experiences with the fleet/service in Denver? Never used Silvercar, but considering them.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Productivity
Any recent experiences with the fleet/service in Denver?
I got a low mileage 2018 A4. The location is a long shuttle ride from the terminal. And make sure you are standing at the exact pickup stop (at the end). My van driver was very particular.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:42 pm

Third time renting, this time at Dallas.

Weekend rental - pickup late Friday night, drop off Sunday evening. Silvercar actually texted me as I did not put in flight information and my scheduled pickup was within 2 hours of their closing time - forgot to click "local renter" as I was taking an Uber to the location. The app makes it very easy to check current mileage of a car before choosing it. Since I was a previous renter, I thought I could simply scan my car and go as there has been no change to my CC or DL info. However, after picking my car (11k miles) and starting my reservation, my car didn't unlock.

Called Silvercar support after a few minutes of trying to unlock my car - turns out the sole person working was on a run to the airport to pick up someone else. After they arrived and scanned the car, they were able to start my reservation without issue. No problems returning the car.

Extremely enjoyable experience again - logged 600 miles in 2 days. I typically use the VINFINITE discount, but had a free rental day code this time which was icing on the cake.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by tearex
The app makes it very easy to check current mileage of a car before choosing it.
How?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by tearex
Third time renting, this time at Dallas.

Weekend rental - pickup late Friday night, drop off Sunday evening. Silvercar actually texted me as I did not put in flight information and my scheduled pickup was within 2 hours of their closing time - forgot to click "local renter" as I was taking an Uber to the location. The app makes it very easy to check current mileage of a car before choosing it. Since I was a previous renter, I thought I could simply scan my car and go as there has been no change to my CC or DL info. However, after picking my car (11k miles) and starting my reservation, my car didn't unlock.

Called Silvercar support after a few minutes of trying to unlock my car - turns out the sole person working was on a run to the airport to pick up someone else. After they arrived and scanned the car, they were able to start my reservation without issue. No problems returning the car.

Extremely enjoyable experience again - logged 600 miles in 2 days. I typically use the VINFINITE discount, but had a free rental day code this time which was icing on the cake.
You have to wait a couple of minutes for it to unlock I have found.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Redwood839
Looks they've been bought out by Audi completely.

Silvercar is now Silvercar by Audi.
Any ideas how much Audi paid? I rmbr Audi bought some of SilverCar I guess all of it now.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by dayone
How?
Open up the app to select your car. Scan the QR code on the window and it will show the plate number and current mileage. It won't actually select the car until you confirm.

Originally Posted by Cloudship
You have to wait a couple of minutes for it to unlock I have found.
Maybe I was impatient. Might have just been under 10 minutes between me starting the reservation and the personnel showing up.

Last edited by tearex; Sep 27, 2018 at 8:27 am Reason: multiquote

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.