Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silvercar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Still blows my mind that WAS airports don't have them yet.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Daramrod

Ok so now I’m confused. Recently had a 2018 model out of SFO. It had the analogue dash with navigation screen in between and definitely did not have any S-line badges. It was a 2018 model as the registration card confirmed/indicated.
Squares are rectangles, rectangles aren't necessarily squares.

S-line at DAL they said were 2018, not sure if all 2018s are S-line however
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by steve33
Squares are rectangles, rectangles aren't necessarily squares. S-line at DAL they said were 2018, not sure if all 2018s are S-line however
In your prior post, you said:
1. "the 2018s are S-Lines"
and
2. "Non-S-Lines are 2017 or earlier."

This would mean that all 18s are S-lines, and all S-lines are 18s.

Sounds like what you meant to say was:

1. The S-lines are 2018
2. 2017 and before are all non-S-lines

This would mean that all S-lines are 18s, but not all 18s are necessarily S-lines.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:39 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Yup. They'd prefer that you let them fill it up, mainly for the premium gas issue, but they also make a little money on the service fee (how much, if any, depends on the particular location, and hence how much staff time is required to fill the car).
Do Silvercar renters seriously not use premium gas when filling up themselves?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Xlr
I know I do, but that's from owning another turbocharged VAG car. Considering the vast majority of regular car rentals only require 87 octane, I can see a significant number of renters not bothering with premium just from not realizing or being told that the A4's different (at least I don't remember the Silvercar employees ever telling me I needed premium at the time of pickup, anyway).
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Xlr
The Audi 2.0T does not require Premium; it will run without any issues on 87 octane. Sure, 91 will provide the best performance, but honestly, it's a waste for most normal driving. Even the factory advisement is 87 octane with a caveat that for maximum performance use 91.

From a Silvercar corporate or Silvercar customer perspective, the benefit of putting in 91 octane versus the cost, just isn't there. Sure, if the car wouldn't run properly (i.e. stutter, misfire, etc.) on 87, that would be a different story, but that won't happen on an A4 2.0T.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Xlr
Absolutely, particularly when they're refilling prior to the return, so they won't capture whatever benefits using premium would bring.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Xlr
Of course we won't refill using premium gas. The previous person probably didn't fill up premium anyways and the SilverCars are not "fast cars". You won't know/feel the difference of using 87 vs 93.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Of course we won't refill using premium gas. The previous person probably didn't fill up premium anyways and the SilverCars are not "fast cars". You won't know/feel the difference of using 87 vs 93.
Cars which require 91/93 will not be energy-efficient with 87. If you don't perceive any performance differences, you will definitely notice the higher number of trips to the gas station.

I think it's a good practice to fill up lux rentals like Silvercar with premium to help the next person (I definitely notice when the rental/loaner is not).

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Feb 22, 2018 at 5:34 am
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Finance_underling
Cars which require 91/93 will not be energy-efficient with 87. If you don't perceive any performance differences, you will definitely notice the higher number of trips to the gas station.
That's it thought, the Audi 2.0T does not require 91/93; lowest recommendation is 87 with alternative being higher octane for better performance (reality of how noticeable this will be is debatable).

I think it's a good practice to fill up lux rentals like Silvercar with premium to help the next person (I definitely notice when the rental/loaner is not).
Reality, unless the car actually requires premium (91/93), for a rental, its pointless to put it in. Not all Luxury cars require premium, Cadillac and Lincoln definitely don't, the 2.0T in the Cadillac runs perfectly fine on 87; and the 3.6L recommends 87, 91/93 is not required.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:27 am

True but engines nowadays are made knowing what type of gas was injected and will adjust to accommodate 87 vs 93. Unfortunately the car is much slower than my daily driver so to me, it makes no diff.

A few times I did SilverCar i chose to let them fill it up at there premium prices. The real question is whether silvercar actually puts 93 after we paid them for 93.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National EC E, Sixt Gold,
Is Silvercar the best option at LAX? Have a week long rental with them starting 3/3 (40% off 5+ day rentals using code WEEKLY for now) but wondering about Sixt/Hertz options there...
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by henrygrins
Is Silvercar the best option at LAX? Have a week long rental with them starting 3/3 (40% off 5+ day rentals using code WEEKLY for now) but wondering about Sixt/Hertz options there...
Yes but you might consider Uber/Lyft between the garage and the terminal.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National EC E, Sixt Gold,
Good call. Yeah after hearing the horror stories about the shared shuttle, that's what I was considering anyway. Too bad they got rid of curbside pick-up/concierges, really wanted to experience that...
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
That's it thought, the Audi 2.0T does not require 91/93; lowest recommendation is 87 with alternative being higher octane for better performance (reality of how noticeable this will be is debatable).

Reality, unless the car actually requires premium (91/93), for a rental, its pointless to put it in. Not all Luxury cars require premium, Cadillac and Lincoln definitely don't, the 2.0T in the Cadillac runs perfectly fine on 87; and the 3.6L recommends 87, 91/93 is not required.
Nice, sounds like you read the manual. But as I already stated, lux cars like Audi's are more efficient with premium gas. In regards to performance, the difference is subtle, but noticeable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.