Experiences with Silvercar

Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Finally got a 2017 this weekend. Enjoyed the car but...

Does anyone know if the navigation map in the instrument cluster has an option to show turn by turn direction/lanes during navigation instead of that stupid map? You know, the thing that competitors and google maps have been doing for several years? I went through all the menus and couldnt seem to find anything.... The map isn less useful when Im trying to figure out which lane I need to be in for a freeway interchange
Not sure about iPhone, but with an Android device such as a Samsung Galaxy phone, you can use an app called ANDROID AUTO and it will takeover the nav console in your car and show Google Maps. I used this last week in Kansas City and it was AWESOME. According to the Android Auto website, it looks like Audis are supported. Link: https://www.android.com/auto/
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally got a 2017 this weekend. Enjoyed the car but...

Does anyone know if the navigation map in the instrument cluster has an option to show turn by turn direction/lanes during navigation instead of that stupid map? You know, the thing that competitors and google maps have been doing for several years? I went through all the menus and couldn’t seem to find anything.... The map isn less useful when I’m trying to figure out which lane I need to be in for a freeway interchange
In MMI you can turn voice turn-by-turn on and off and choose either Audi maps or Google maps for the display type. You can also have the instrument cluster screen mirror the main screen or show basic navigation with additional information.

I too finally got a 2017 last week, with only 250 miles. A huge upgrade over the previous, high mileage models I have had before.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doss1
Not sure about iPhone, but with an Android device such as a Samsung Galaxy phone, you can use an app called ANDROID AUTO and it will takeover the nav console in your car and show Google Maps.
The 2017 Audi MMI system has a built-in Google maps option for navigation.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:45 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I love Silvercar but I don't think it's the best value for rentals that involve less than ~3 hours or driving per day. But to each their own, of course.

The main purpose we rented this time was to be able to go to the Coldplay concert down in Santa Clara without having to pay the outrageous surge rates on Uber/Lyft to get back to the city afterwards. I am a fan of their app, and really enjoy their "no BS" approach to things.

We didn't honestly need an A4 for that purpose, and going with Avis would have been a better option since we have Avis Preferred. Far cheaper and minimal BS with their select-and-go service. I'll likely still use Silvercar for longer trips though.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xlr
I love Silvercar but I don't think it's the best value for rentals that involve less than ~3 hours or driving per day. But to each their own, of course.

The main purpose we rented this time was to be able to go to the Coldplay concert down in Santa Clara without having to pay the outrageous surge rates on Uber/Lyft to get back to the city afterwards. I am a fan of their app, and really enjoy their "no BS" approach to things.

We didn't honestly need an A4 for that purpose, and going with Avis would have been a better option since we have Avis Preferred. Far cheaper and minimal BS with their select-and-go service. I'll likely still use Silvercar for longer trips though.
Just my opinion but I don't think that "needing" an A4 is a critical component of their business model.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:34 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by anrkitec
Just my opinion but I don't think that "needing" an A4 is a critical component of their business model.
Hahahaha yes, fair enough.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:46 pm

Two one-day rentals recently at LAX. First time round, had an older car which had 30k+ miles on it, which prompted a 30% "high mileage car" discount. Second time round, got the 2017 A4 which was really quite nice.

Overall thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Staff service was great, and the whole thing worked quite flawlessly.

I think the pricing premium is warranted for the overall experience which they offer.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:48 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Interesting experience with tolls: I was just told that by a rep that if tolls arent posted within 4 business days (which is my case), they wont charge me. Is that correct that Silvercar just eats the tolls? Would like to avoid an angry collection letter in a few months over $20
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting experience with tolls: I was just told that by a rep that if tolls aren’t posted within 4 business days (which is my case), they won’t charge me. Is that correct that Silvercar just eats the tolls? Would like to avoid an angry collection letter in a few months over $20
One really nice thing about Silvercar is that unlike every other rental outfit they only charge you for the tolls you use and they only charge you the exact amount of the tolls - no mark-ups, no "daily fee", no service charges, no transponder charges, etc.

On my most recent rental a few weeks ago at MCO, their new 2017 cars didn't have EZ Pass/SunPass transponders yet so they said "just blow through all the toll booths you want, we'll pay them, no charge. Sure enough, a month later and no additional charges.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:04 am
Aman Contributor Badge

One really nice thing about Silvercar is that unlike every other rental outfit they only charge you for the tolls you use and they only charge you the exact amount of the tolls - no mark-ups, no "daily fee", no service charges, no transponder charges, etc.

On my most recent rental a few weeks ago at MCO, their new 2017 cars didn't have EZ Pass/SunPass transponders yet so they said "just blow through all the toll booths you want, we'll pay them, no charge. Sure enough, a month later and no additional charges.
While I certainly appreciate the no service fees for using EZ-pass, I also expect to pay for the tolls I used. It is a bit bizarre from a business stand-point that they dont bother billing you for older tolls! (something to do with admin costs not making it worth it)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I certainly appreciate the no service fees for using EZ-pass, I also expect to pay for the tolls I used. It is a bit bizarre from a business stand-point that they dont bother billing you for older tolls! (something to do with admin costs not making it worth it)
In this case it was a temporary situation because they didn't have EZPass/SunPass transponders for Orlando yet.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:36 pm

I rented with Silvercar in Las Vegas this past weekend. Since I recently purchased a CPO S4, Audi sent me a coupon for 2 free days with 2 paid days.

Upon arriving in Las Vegas, the app didn't allow me to request pickup. Not to worry, though, as they send a text message the morning of your arrival. I texted that I was ready to be picked up and received an immediate response. I met the driver in the Uber area of the rental car center. They brought the car to me; I didn't have to drive back to the facility (which is only about 2 minutes away). I had a 2017 model with 1100 miles. The car was great. Coming from my '16 at home to the '17 made me realize how many improvements the '17 models have.

When you drop the car off, you hit "home" on the navigation and are directed to the facility. Check in was a breeze and the attendant drove me back to the rental car center.

I would definitely rent with Silvercar again. Beats the Altima I would likely have received at National.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:39 am

Many fleet cars, even outside of Silvercar, do not have a SunPass transponder; they instead use a process called PlatePass which captures the plate and transfers the toll back to the company registered for the fleet.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
Many fleet cars, even outside of Silvercar, do not have a SunPass transponder; they instead use a process called PlatePass which captures the plate and transfers the toll back to the company registered for the fleet.
Sure, but the MCO SilverCar guy specifically said, "We don't yet have our SunPass transponders. We will be getting them soon. Until then..."
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:38 am

That's partially because regular fleets have nationwide one-ways, unlike Silvercar. The first time I heard of PlatePass, we had a fully-loaded Hyundai Accent with VA plates from Avis in MLB. There was what looked like an oil change sticker on the front upper left corner of the windshield, but instead it explained PlatePass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.