Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silvercar

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:04 pm

Is Silvercar rental at SEA active? I was trying to see rates for 8/5-8/19 but oddly pick up time between 1PM to 11PM is greyed out. I am arriving at 9PM.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Looking to rent in September. I am a first time renter and it looks like Silvercar has a promo for 30% off until 10/31. Does anyone know if you can use that promo WITh the conga coupon referral bonus? If you can only use one, which should I use? Thank you for any tips for a first time user...I'll be renting in Denver for a trip to Yellowstone.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
@hpark21 Your selection is greyed out due to unavailability
@doss1 yes
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:58 pm

Can someone PM me a referral code? Or is there a separate thread for that.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:55 pm

Didn't really feel this was worthy of a separate post, so I'll ask here..

Has anyone had any experience with Silvercar and using a valet? I would like to book with them in Orlando, but the hotel we're staying at is valet only and there is no where else I can park the car.

I emailed them and they sent me a copy of their rental agreement, but the only thing it states about valet is:

d. fails to remove the keys (excluding valet parking situations) or to close and lock all
doors, or fails to close all windows and the trunk when the vehicle is left unattended
and the vehicle is then stolen or vandalized;
Which sort of implies one could leave it for a valet, though it mentions nothing about it here:

Who May Drive the Vehicle – Authorized Driver.Only you, your spouse or domestic partner, a full time fellow employee incidental to your business duties during the rental period or an additional driver specifically qualified and authorized, at the time of rental, by Silvercar to drive the vehicle may drive the vehicle, but only with your express prior permission ("authorized driver"). You represent that you and any authorized driver are capable and validly licensed drivers. Any authorized driver of the vehicle must be at least 22 years old and must be a capable and qualified driver in possession of validly issued driver's license, which is in good standing under the laws of the issuing jurisdiction. You agree that Silvercar has the right to verify that the driver's license of any authorized driver has been validly issued and is in good standing and that Silvercar may refuse to rent to you, terminate the RA or refuse to allow others to drive the vehicle, if the driver's license of any authorized driver has been or is currently suspended, revoked or otherwise similarly restricted.
I guess maybe I can't use them?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Don't worry about it. If your hotel is valet-only like a RC, the car should be well attended to.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Finance_underling
Don't worry about it. If your hotel is valet-only like a RC, the car should be well attended to.
It is a Ritz-Carlton actually!

Will it still be well attended to if I don't tip because they make you pay $27/day for valet parking?

EDIT: Nevermind, I contacted Silvercar again and they said that 1) valet isn't considered an authorized driver (which I know I can get around if I wanted to be dishonest), but the nail in the coffin was that I have to return the rental car at 4am and they won't be able to accommodate me. Maybe next time!

Last edited by xero9; Aug 15, 2017 at 9:23 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:53 pm

A bit off-topic but $27/day for a RC is a bargain. I do not condone not tipping them, but they'll still maintain their professionalism.

I also left several Silvercars with them, so I really wouldn't sweat it.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:34 am

Planning a 1st try at FLL - anyone with a referral code? Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just did a LAS rental. I texted them when I was on the bus to the rental car facility and an agent was waiting with my car outside the consolidated rental facility. We had a little trouble as he had to verify my new CC then it took a minute or so to clear the car for my rental but I eventually got going. I had a 2016 A4 with 44,000 miles that still drove great.

Returning the car meant driving to their facility on Sunset Road. The facility is a huge garage inside a commercial block that's easy to miss from the road. If you're driving east and hit the airport observation park you've gone too far. The agent returning was really friendly and helpful. I decided to let them fill the gas tank and they charge $3.09 a gallon which is a bit steep. Do note they can only drop you back at the rental car facility, not LAS, so I paid $11 for an Uber back to the terminal.

Good experience as usual. I was told by the return agent they expect to have all 2017 A4s soon.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have used Silvercar 4 times now.

My observations are:

Value: Pretty good value for money. Seems to be about $25/day more than say a Buick Regal from one of the majors.

The Car: Using the new Opel-based Buick Regal as a baseline, which is a pretty damn good car, particularly for a rental, the A4 [in reality a VW Golf/Jetta/Passat with a much nicer interior] isn't a huge step up but is a very solid improvement over the typical GM/Ford/Chrysler rentals and IMO well worth another ~$25/day. I will say though that it seems all of Silvercar's A4s come with Quattro, which is a nice touch.

The one downside to their cars - in my experience - has been that every one I have had has been very high mileage [30,000+] and were all starting to show a good bit of wear and tear, both inside and out.

The App: Flawless, so far. IMO this is what really sets them apart from Hertz, Avis, etc. Perhaps even more so than the cars.

Customer Service: I have yet to have what I would call a significant customer service issue with Silvercar, but I have had a few small issues and questions that were not covered in the app or answered on the website, and every time I tried to reach an actual human being I was on hold until the system eventually hung up on me - every time. To this day I have never spoken to a human being in Silvercar customer service, even though I have tried about a half-dozen times.

As long as you don't have any issues outside of the capabilities of the app or the website you should be fine but if you do need to speak to an actual person, my experience in that one specific area hasn't been very good.

On the plus side, whether picking up or dropping off, I have never had anyone try to up-sell me on anything nor have I been over-billed and have never found any unexpected charges on my account.

Last edited by anrkitec; Jan 22, 2020 at 2:42 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:33 am
Company Representative, AutoLook

I have only heard good things about SilverCar. No wonder Audi bought them; makes actually a lot of sense for Audi.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by doss1
Looking to rent in September. I am a first time renter and it looks like Silvercar has a promo for 30% off until 10/31. Does anyone know if you can use that promo WITh the conga coupon referral bonus? If you can only use one, which should I use? Thank you for any tips for a first time user...I'll be renting in Denver for a trip to Yellowstone.
Yes they stack.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
sold out for the whole month of October in Austin, Texas, it seems.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:50 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Finally got a 2017 this weekend. Enjoyed the car but...

Does anyone know if the navigation map in the instrument cluster has an option to show turn by turn direction/lanes during navigation instead of that stupid map? You know, the thing that competitors and google maps have been doing for several years? I went through all the menus and couldn’t seem to find anything.... The map isn less useful when I’m trying to figure out which lane I need to be in for a freeway interchange

Last edited by Cityflyer10; Oct 3, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.