Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silvercar

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
The do have some 2017's in the fleet, as the 2015/2016 models get retired (age or mile caps they self-impose). The 2017's honestly have a less aggressive front end so they are easy to pick out over the older models. Not too many differences inside, but the Navigation in the instrument cluster is very much improved over the older design.
Thanks! Will keep an eye out for them.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by gooselee
Thanks! Will keep an eye out for them.
You don't choose the '17, it chooses you.

PM for referral code.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Finance_underling
PM for referral code.
Already participated in the conga.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone had trouble getting referral credits? I booked my rental using a referral code, and someone else claims to have used my code via the conga.

Have not received any communication/update/etc. from Silvercar about either rental, and certainly no gift card. Before I call them, am I supposed to be doing something else?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Update: SFO completed full rollout of '17.

DM me for 1st-time referral code if you need one!

Update 2: I was told that the next shipment of new model year cars is expected for all branches soon. But at this point, I am wondering if they should wait for the '18 to turnover the fleet.

Last edited by Finance_underling; Jul 9, 2017 at 9:03 pm
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Just tried them at ORD.

Got a 2016, with 41000 (!) miles on it. To be fair, if I didn't see the odometer, I'd have no idea that there were that many miles on it. The rate was very, very good. Less than National with our corporate discount.

I didn't get a detailed lesson on how to use the various features, but I own an A3 etron (and told the concierge that), so I was already familiar with MMI and the fact that the dial is backwards.

They say "We will pick you up curbside and get you in your car and on the road faster than any other car rental company on-site because we have no counter, no lines, no up-sells or carbon contracts to sign. The car is ready to go when you get here, so you only need to scan and go! We’ve timed it all. We know!" That's not exactly true. It's a few minute walk to the bus/shuttle center (and the signage is not the best) and then it was 15 minutes before the car was there, and then we drove to the facility. I don't think this was onerous, but there was no way this was faster than National.

Next time, I am avoiding the Nav for the return. It's nice that it is preprogrammed, but its route is terrifying. And expensive. And not very fast.

Was it a great experience? Absolutely. Was it everything that was promised? Almost. Would I rent from them again? If the price was right - my company won't use them, so it's when I am on my own dime.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:00 am

Silvercar

Update: SFO completed full rollout of '17.

DM me for 1st-time referral code if you need one!

Update 2: I was told that the next shipment of new model year cars is expected for all branches soon. But at this point, I am wondering if they should wait for the '18 to turnover the fleet.
Good morning,

Does this code mean you get a 17' or is it a discount code? I'll be using them for the first time at LAX today and was just curious.

Thank you for your help!

Matthew
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Smokey_llama
Good morning,

Does this code mean you get a 17' or is it a discount code? I'll be using them for the first time at LAX today and was just curious.

Thank you for your help!

Matthew
It's a cash coupon for first-time users.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Car rental companies usually refresh their fleets towards the end of a model year, not the beginning. That's when cars are cheaper and more available.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Car rental companies usually refresh their fleets towards the end of a model year, not the beginning. That's when cars are cheaper and more available.
Right, but Audi owns Silvercar.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:58 am

You don't choose the '17, it chooses you.
This is dependent on location, in EWR, you can walk to any car that is in the front row facing towards the exit. Just scan the QR code in the app and go. You can choose any of the cars, and with the difference in front end design, pretty easy to pick out the '16 and '17 models.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:11 pm

My pro tip that often works: Pick the highest license plate number. It's usually the newest car and has the best chance of having the fewest miles.

Example: Choose ABC 234 instead of ABC 123.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:26 pm

I have a Silvercar weekend rate with a noon Friday pickup. Will my rate change if I pickup 30 minutes early? A hour early?

I will returning at 9:00 am on Monday so an early pickup won't extend my rental.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by dayone
I have a Silvercar weekend rate with a noon Friday pickup. Will my rate change if I pickup 30 minutes early? A hour early?

I will returning at 9:00 am on Monday so an early pickup won't extend my rental.
Silvercar streamlines their rates to be the same regardless of peak/off-peak season and time of day. Weekday and weekend rate aside, what you pay for now will not be different 1 month from now or 1 hour from now (in a rental day).
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:33 pm

Silvercar streamlines their rates to be the same regardless of peak/off-peak season and time of day. Weekday and weekend rate aside, what you pay for now will not be different 1 month from now or 1 hour from now (in a rental day).
Thanks. I'll pick up an hour early, which will make my day a bit easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.