Experiences with Silvercar

Old Feb 8, 20, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the "Free Day in February" offer* I just got targeted, or did everyone get it?

Of course it really isn't a "free" day. With a minimum 2-day rental required, it's 50% off a 2-day, 33% off a 3-day, 25% off a 4-day, etc.

*Must make a reservation by the 2/29.
Old Feb 9, 20, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Picked up a Q5 at BOS on Friday. I texted when I got on the bus and again upon reaching the rental car center but did not get a response. I called the location and told the driver was on the way, I ended up waiting about five minutes for the driver to arrive. The vehicle was nice and had about 13,000 miles on it however it was low on oil and a warning light saying to add at least one quart (though it did say I could keep driving) was on during my whole drive. Returning went well and a really nice agent drove us back to the terminal. I was traveling with my dad and his wife who hadn't rented from them before and were very impressed with the whole service though I was a little annoyed at the minor hiccups.
Old Feb 16, 20, 7:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Picked up a 2018 A4 at Phoenix in mid February. Silvercar agent said there was a glitch in their system and said my car was shown as having 45k miles on it, and that it was really 25k miles. I kind of don't believe that as the car looked a bit worn and the tires showed quite a bit of wear. As I had never driven an Audi before, I was really shocked how similar it was to my mother's 2016 (or 2018) VW Passat -- everything from dashboard to overall feel. I guess my expectations were a bit high, especially considering the price I paid even with the off first time promo code and the AMEX $100 off offer. The included car seat had stains and wife wasn't too happy about that. I don't think I'll be renting Silvercar again as I usually get good lower mileage and new cars with my Avis status for a much cheaper rate (though, I have to pay extra for a car seat). Not to sound overly critical, I am just not a gearhead and can't tell the difference between modern cars anymore as there is a ton of good stuff coming out from the standard car manufacturers these days.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:02 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
Picked up a 2018 A4 at Phoenix in mid February. Silvercar agent said there was a glitch in their system and said my car was shown as having 45k miles on it, and that it was really 25k miles. I kind of don't believe that as the car looked a bit worn and the tires showed quite a bit of wear. As I had never driven an Audi before, I was really shocked how similar it was to my mother's 2016 (or 2018) VW Passat -- everything from dashboard to overall feel. I guess my expectations were a bit high, especially considering the price I paid even with the off first time promo code and the AMEX $100 off offer. The included car seat had stains and wife wasn't too happy about that. I don't think I'll be renting Silvercar again as I usually get good lower mileage and new cars with my Avis status for a much cheaper rate (though, I have to pay extra for a car seat). Not to sound overly critical, I am just not a gearhead and can't tell the difference between modern cars anymore as there is a ton of good stuff coming out from the standard car manufacturers these days.
Note that you can also get a free child seat when renting with Hertz, Dollar, or Thrifty when booking the with the AAA discount code.
Old Feb 16, 20, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Note that you can also get a free child seat when renting with Hertz, Dollar, or Thrifty when booking the with the AAA discount code.
Yes, actually, I am an AAA member and have taken advantage of the Hertz free car seat benefit, but the one by me has terrible customer service and they won't even get me a car seat (they say only airport locations offer it). I haven't tried Dollar or Thrifty...seems a bit too "low budget" ?
Old Feb 17, 20, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
VW owns Audi and the A4 is the Audi equivalent of the Passat.

Of all the German luxury brands, Audi is the least impressive, in my opinion. Cheap interior materials, uninspiring drive, lackluster infotainment, etc.
Old Feb 18, 20, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by m907 View Post

Of all the German luxury brands, Audi is the least impressive, in my opinion. Cheap interior materials, uninspiring drive, lackluster infotainment, etc.
The A4 does have a bit of an entry level feel to it. I'm on my second Audi (an 2019 A6, I had a 2018 A5 before) and I would put Audi against BMW and Mercedes in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 11, 20, 1:00 pm

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Doesn't make sense from a business standpoint? They already cover the major bases for rental car classes and having additional models to upkeep will surely increase cost.

On another side, I wonder when they'll roll out the facelifted A4 and A5 into their fleet
Old Mar 16, 20, 11:06 pm

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador

Firstly, I like the BMW 3 Series, but its materials aren't better than the A4. A4 not only has better "interior materials", it uses better windshields, has better lights, equips better rims, etc. Infotainment isn't part of my criteria, so I wouldn't judge that (the less the better).
Old Mar 17, 20, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Finance_underling View Post
Firstly, I like the BMW 3 Series, but its materials aren't better than the A4. A4 not only has better "interior materials", it uses better windshields, has better lights, equips better rims, etc. Infotainment isn't part of my criteria, so I wouldn't judge that (the less the better).
I'm not sure what you mean by better windshields and better rims. Do you mean a larger windshield and more attractive rims? I don't have a dog in the fight because I think all three German luxury brands are pretentious but when I have driven them, Audis seem to have the lowest grade leather and poor infotainment systems and uninteresting driving.
Old Mar 17, 20, 7:24 pm

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
I'm not sure what you mean by better windshields and better rims. Do you mean a larger windshield and more attractive rims? I don't have a dog in the fight because I think all three German luxury brands are pretentious but when I have driven them, Audis seem to have the lowest grade leather and poor infotainment systems and uninteresting driving.
Disclaimer: I haven't driven the new generation BMW 3-Series 2019-present.

The windshield tended to fog up easily, and the glass and exterior aluminum were noticeably lower quality compared to that of Mercedes C-class and Audi A4. Regards to the rims, you were right that I was grading them by aesthetics. The 3 series leather felt cheap compared to the other two, but I'm not a leather expert. When was the last time you drove one?
Old Mar 18, 20, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Finance_underling View Post
Disclaimer: I haven't driven the new generation BMW 3-Series 2019-present.

The windshield tended to fog up easily, and the glass and exterior aluminum were noticeably lower quality compared to that of Mercedes C-class and Audi A4. Regards to the rims, you were right that I was grading them by aesthetics. The 3 series leather felt cheap compared to the other two, but I'm not a leather expert. When was the last time you drove one?
I've driven a BMW 430i, BMW X3, BMW 740i, Audi A5, and Audi Q3 in the last couple years.
Old Mar 20, 20, 12:51 pm

I've driven a BMW 430i, BMW X3, BMW 740i, Audi A5, and Audi Q3 in the last couple years.
The recent BMW 4-series is a step up in quality from the pre-2019 3-series I had driven. I drove a 4-series recently. It does not have the quality issues which I discussed earlier. If that is the case, then the new 3-series may have likely followed suit because I believe they share the same platform (the only difference being vehicle type -- sedan vs coupe).

I still think BMW needs more stylish rims and headlights, however.
Old Apr 23, 20, 4:49 am

I've never rented from Silvercar, but over the last 6 weeks when running an AutoSlash quote, their rates are coming in sky high.
Old Apr 26, 20, 7:30 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
How much is "sky high"? And where are you renting? I just did four price checks for this week, May 4-6, and M-W the 2nd week of June and July, and in all cases Silvercar (A4) was cheaper than National (midsize).
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread