Experiences with Silvercar

Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Another data point for Rental experience in Ft Lauderdale:

Reserved an A4 for 8 days. The rate with all taxes and fees was $375. Comparable to a midsize Avis once all the airport fees are tacked on.

Directed to a parking zone outside of the Rental Car facility (I walked there from the terminal, it was easy). I used the app to advise I was there.

In less than 5 minutes I was picked up in the vehicle. We went to the off site rental location. Actually a convenient location right next to US1 just north of the airport.

The car was in very nice shape. The guy that picked me up told me that they were starting to get other colors in, and that its not just going to be silver cars anymore. I thought that was interesting.

Drop off was just as easy. Took minutes.

I must have gone on a couple toll roads, because I got another charge for $7 a few weeks later. I was prepared for that, and reminded how much the big guys like to rip me off for going through E Tolls.

All in all another great experience. I like being treated fairly.
TWA884 and levilevi like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
The car was in very nice shape. The guy that picked me up told me that they were starting to get other colors in, and that its not just going to be silver cars anymore. I thought that was interesting.
Silverish Car?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by CMK10
Silverish Car?
Black and grey. Were supposed to start appearing in fleets in the Fall. I don't know if it's just SUVs or also A4s.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:21 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Just drove a Q5 in a dark grey color from FLL.... Car started with 10miles on it and I added another 150 odd
Great experience for that type of ride
but the in car Wifi never worked and as a canadian I was counting on it to keep my cell mobile charges down
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Prices are dynamic. Sometimes it's a great deal. Sometimes it is not.
Yeah, but the spread is ridiculous.

Went to make a reservation for three days over Thanksgiving. I was expecting to pay a premium, but $165/day for a car that two days before and two days after rents for $65/day is just silly. And the fact that they still had cars three days before Thanksgiving tells me that scarcity isn't the reason for the premium.

So, Hertz Gold+ it is.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Just drove a Q5 in a dark grey color from FLL.... Car started with 10miles on it and I added another 150 odd
Great experience for that type of ride
but the in car Wifi never worked and as a canadian I was counting on it to keep my cell mobile charges down
The car wifi to me is hit or miss... i've got ATT on my cell and noticed that the signal indicator on the car was often "no signal" or 3g (not enough to support nav) (not LTE) often in areas when my phone was full strength LTE. BUt when it works, its nice... I recognize you were from out of the country, so ... more pressing need for you!
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by levilevi
The car wifi to me is hit or miss... i've got ATT on my cell and noticed that the signal indicator on the car was often "no signal" or 3g (not enough to support nav) (not LTE) often in areas when my phone was full strength LTE. BUt when it works, its nice... I recognize you were from out of the country, so ... more pressing need for you!
I thought they used T-Mobile for the car Wi-Fi before? Unless that changed at some point, of course.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:46 pm

Have any locations started receiving "new" A4s, either 2019 or 2020? Some of the 2018s are getting pretty long in the tooth.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Silvercar has a Black Friday promo. Rentals between December 1 and December 29 are 35% off and earn an extra 500 points with promo code SILVERSALE19.

I just booked one at BOS for next week which is $48 all in vs. $60 at Hertz.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:41 pm

Picked up in BOS yesterday. The app instructs you to text once you're on the Rental Car Shuttle. By the time I arrived at the facility my car was waiting on the lower level (one down from where the bus drops you) of the rental car facility. I was able to scan my car there and go instead of having to go back to their facility which is a major plus. The car had one defect (broken cigarette lighter power source) but was otherwise great. Dropping off is a little tough as Waze took me to the wrong location. Their building is also next to a large law firm and can be a little hard to find. Still, mostly a very good experience as usual.
levilevi likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:53 pm

I was told that the A4s will be replaced with A6s starting in the next month or two.

Now about adding the e-tron…
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
Now about adding the e-tron…
Kidding or not, I would see that as being hugely problematic. FWIW, I test drove the e-tron last month: nice, but over-priced. Whoever could afford it would be better served with a Model X. Audi have tried to compete with the Jaguar electric.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: Skymiles; SPG; AAdvantage
Credit Card?

Booked a reservation a few months ago for end of this month, but I forgot which card I used. Will the one I present at the time of rental need to match? And if so how do I figure out which card it was. It will be my first time renting from Silvercar. Cheers
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
Just email them, they answer fast.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
About to rent an a4 in Phoenix and told they are 2018 models. For the price, doesn’t seem worth it seeing that these high mileage cars sell used for 18-20k .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.