Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

The cashless toll road trap: FL and others

The cashless toll road trap: FL and others

Old Oct 4, 18, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by ottothecow View Post
The Illinois ipass system (compatible with ezpass wherever I have taken it) actually has quite a nice system for adding rental cars. Works way better than you'd expect a government website to work! Even has a nice mobile UI for when your passenger is frantically adding the license plate on the interstate.
Nice! I currently carry a NJ EZPass and a FL Sunpass which covers just about all of my east coast driving. I haven't had any issues with the Sunpass, but per their terms of service the EZPass is explicitly not allowed to be used in rental cars; indeed I can almost never register my rentals in their system if the car in question is plated in a state covered by EZPass. I have been able to use it successfully, but should the transponder not be read for some reason I'm going to get hit with some hefty fees. Bonus feature - no recourse because Im breaking the TOS.

Logging into their system is a pain as well, as their site explicitly blocks connections originating outside of the continental United States. (I'm in the US Virgin Islands) Only way I can check balances is to turn off wifi on my phone and connect over the cellular network.

I can get to the IPass site without having to jump through any hoops.

Going to get an IPass transponder once I spend down my EZPass balance.
Old Oct 5, 18, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
NY E-ZPass seem nt to have that restriction...
Old Jun 13, 19, 9:40 pm

What is that $5 sticker tag you referred to in this post? Where can you buy it and can it be used as an EZPass alternative? thx
Old Jun 14, 19, 8:02 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by supermoto1 View Post
What is that $5 sticker tag you referred to in this post? Where can you buy it and can it be used as an EZPass alternative? thx
It's called sunpass, you can buy it in supermarkets.
Old Jun 16, 19, 8:51 pm

Looks like there is now a rearview mirror hangtag transponder: https://www.frommers.com/tips/car-bu...cashless-roads

Not returning the paper tag incurs a $10 charge. This of course assumes a simple roundtrip. Lots of FL visitors return cars elsewhere, so to be effective, there would need to be collection bins at every airport and neighborhood rental office in the state. And considering that the FL driveout special one-way rates are currently in effect, there should be a provision to mail back the tag.
m907 and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jun 27, 19, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Vote with your wallet. REFUSE to visit Florida.
i support this
Old Jun 28, 19, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM+, A3 GLD
Originally Posted by waterskifly View Post
i support this
I hope you guys realize it’s not the state of Florida (or any other state) but the car rental companies are the ones taking advantage. All states are moving towards cashless systems because it’s more effective and convenient for operators and customers alike. If anything Florida is trying to make it easier for visitors with the recent temporary tag program.

The car rental companies could choose to simply pass the toll charges to the customers, even could choose to a a small “convenience fee” of a few cents per transaction and still make a lot of money, but alas they chose to charge ABSURD fees and customers 1) go thru the hassle of getting their own transponder or 2) fall for it and complain.
Xyzzy, strickerj and m907 like this.
Old Jun 30, 19, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
Looks like there is now a rearview mirror hangtag transponder: https://www.frommers.com/tips/car-bu...cashless-roads
Here's the direct link to the program: https://www.visitortollpass.com/

I used it on a trip to Orlando in June. Worked great. When you leave the rental car garage, their system automatically associates your plate with the tag. Web site shows your toll charges and you get the reduced transponder rates. Hopefully they will expand the program to more airports.

-David
m907 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 19, 5:35 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
Here's the direct link to the program: https://www.visitortollpass.com/

I used it on a trip to Orlando in June. Worked great. When you leave the rental car garage, their system automatically associates your plate with the tag. Web site shows your toll charges and you get the reduced transponder rates. Hopefully they will expand the program to more airports.

-David
I thought it's a permanent programme - unfortunately it only lasts until August 31

Search this Thread
Search Engine: