Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Upgrade Alamo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Question about Upgrade Alamo

Hi I have booked a rental with Alamo at JFK Airport for April 23-26th for a Full-size car for 102.00 including all taxes and fees using the costco contract id and coupon code, but the Issue is I made the booking back in February and now I need a Bigger Vehicle one that has more trunk space. So I need to upgrade. Should I cancel my booking and start looking again for a bigger vehicle and pay more or should I keep my booking and see what the cost is to upgrade at the counter would be. If it is better to upgrade at the counter what would I expect to pay to get into a car or suv with larger trunk. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:26 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

The general rule of thumb is to book/pay for the smallest vehicle you can suffice with. If you cannot get by with a full-size, then it's highly recommended you book what you really need. It would be disappointing to get there and find they only have small/medium sedans and your lone full-size. Thursdays can be hit or miss (depends on the time of pickup).
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
The general rule of thumb is to book/pay for the smallest vehicle you can suffice with. If you cannot get by with a full-size, then it's highly recommended you book what you really need. It would be disappointing to get there and find they only have small/medium sedans and your lone full-size. Thursdays can be hit or miss (depends on the time of pickup).
Ahh ok I never had to change a booking but we now have to pick up a relative who is also coming for this weekend trip so we got extra people in the car and extra luggage. Like I menshioned 5 people is max we need. We just need more luggage space. we can get buy with the full size as we can go to the hotel drop everything off and make a second trip to the airport when their flight comes to get them but if we could fit it all at once then we don't need to make the extra trip. We are picking up the car at Thursday early morning.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

What I am trying to find out is what would I expect to pay for the 4 Day rental to upgrade it to a Premium or a SUV at the counter ? I am looking for a Impala sized vehicle something with a Large trunk. I need to seat 5 in the car.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Well the Full-Size Car we booked would be Ok If we are stuck with it but what I am trying to find out is if its possible to upgrade at the counter to a Premium car like a Impala ? And If we can What Would We Expect To Pay for that Upgrade ?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
I've never rented Alamo at JFK before, but I've rented several Alamo cars recently, also through Costco.

What I have found with Alamo is that they point you to an area and say "pick any car in this row". I've found enough variability in the Full Size rows, including Dodge Chargers, Chevy Impalas, and the new larger Ford Fusion.

Alamo has nice cars, and even nicer people to greet you when you go get your car. It might help to be an Insider, which is their frequent renter program.

As I understand the Costco Free Upgrade program to work, the Free Upgrade is an upgrade over and above the car class that you booked. For example, I've booked Intermediate, and I was directed to the Full Size row. This has happened consistently for me. If you actually booked Full Size, then you might be directed to a class above Full Size as your upgrade. I don't know what that class is called, but hopefully, it will have 5 seat belts and fit your luggage.

You might try contacting Costco or Alamo for clarification on the Upgrade on top of the class you booked.

Also, if you are an Insider, you can "Check In" online on the day prior to car pickup, and bypass the counter. This removes the counter person from the equation between you and the car you actually want. Then, when you go to the garage where the cars are, and look at the row the friendly greeter has pointed you toward based on either your reservation or your auto upgraded reservation, you can inspect the cars that are there.

Don't be surprised at what kind of cars you might find. I booked a compact car with Alamo, and found a sports car in the same row. I looked at the greeter and pointed to the car and asked "Is this ok?" She said sure, and off I went, clearing the gate check without issue.

In case you don't find a car that is suitable in your row, THEN look around the garage to see if any other cars are in sight that you might like.

I once booked a Full Size, and got to the row along at the same time some other renter did. I stopped for Alamo's free bottle of water, and the other renter climbed into the last Dodge Charger remaining, which I had my eye on. I said "aw shucks, that guy got my car" to the greeter, and we looked around the garage, and way in the back lay another one. She called a lot attendant to bring it over to me.

Like I said, Alamo greeters are trained to be very customer service friendly. More so than any other rental car agency I've encountered, and I rent cars every week, toggling between all the major rental car companies based on lowest price findable online for the particular location.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyertall
I've never rented Alamo at JFK before, but I've rented several Alamo cars recently, also through Costco.

What I have found with Alamo is that they point you to an area and say "pick any car in this row". I've found enough variability in the Full Size rows, including Dodge Chargers, Chevy Impalas, and the new larger Ford Fusion.

Alamo has nice cars, and even nicer people to greet you when you go get your car. It might help to be an Insider, which is their frequent renter program.

As I understand the Costco Free Upgrade program to work, the Free Upgrade is an upgrade over and above the car class that you booked. For example, I've booked Intermediate, and I was directed to the Full Size row. This has happened consistently for me. If you actually booked Full Size, then you might be directed to a class above Full Size as your upgrade. I don't know what that class is called, but hopefully, it will have 5 seat belts and fit your luggage.

You might try contacting Costco or Alamo for clarification on the Upgrade on top of the class you booked.

Also, if you are an Insider, you can "Check In" online on the day prior to car pickup, and bypass the counter. This removes the counter person from the equation between you and the car you actually want. Then, when you go to the garage where the cars are, and look at the row the friendly greeter has pointed you toward based on either your reservation or your auto upgraded reservation, you can inspect the cars that are there.

Don't be surprised at what kind of cars you might find. I booked a compact car with Alamo, and found a sports car in the same row. I looked at the greeter and pointed to the car and asked "Is this ok?" She said sure, and off I went, clearing the gate check without issue.

In case you don't find a car that is suitable in your row, THEN look around the garage to see if any other cars are in sight that you might like.

I once booked a Full Size, and got to the row along at the same time some other renter did. I stopped for Alamo's free bottle of water, and the other renter climbed into the last Dodge Charger remaining, which I had my eye on. I said "aw shucks, that guy got my car" to the greeter, and we looked around the garage, and way in the back lay another one. She called a lot attendant to bring it over to me.

Like I said, Alamo greeters are trained to be very customer service friendly. More so than any other rental car agency I've encountered, and I rent cars every week, toggling between all the major rental car companies based on lowest price findable online for the particular location.
Ahh ok well I am a Alamo Insider. I will call costco or alamo to get some clarification on the upgrade coupon. I checked the email I got after booking and it says Full Size. I will check in the day before my trip to skip the counter. I hope I can find a Impala in the full size area as I will be there at 7am so its early in the day so there should be decent selection of cars. I have used Alamo once before and the last time we used it in chicago there was a volvo s60 placed in the full-size area after we loaded our car and got in. I Hope we get a decent car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.