Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Car rental coupons and credit card insurance coverage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car rental coupons and credit card insurance coverage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The problem is that rental cars have become like pizza: does anybody EVER book one without coupons anymore? The car rental industry has set it up this way: they quote a high base rate and then expect you to fiddle with an alphabet soup of CDP/PC/RQ/promo/discount/etc. codes to get to the "real" rate. Or *your* real rate, depending on your knowledge and/or willingness to play the game.

The one time I *don't* use anything at all in the coupon field is when I use my corporate rate. But then insurance is not a question, as the corp rate specifically includes it as part of our contract.

So, if credit cards are backing out of the business of offering a legitimate rental car insurance benefit, they should just clearly state that. Or just allow us to easily sign individual rentals up for a $25 add-on. Be transparent and honest, one way or the other. If a card wants to take this benefit away, I'll decide whether it's important enough to warrant dropping the card.

Of course, we don't really have an example where a credit card is balking at coverage because the renter used the ubiquitous "20% off", "double miles", or "3rd day free" codes. We think some cards may put full free-voucher or award rentals in another category. But yeah, I don't want to be the guinea pig...

I know. I just asked banks to be transparent and honest. You probably all want a hit of whatever I'm smoking, don't you?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
Citibank Aadvantage MasterCard provides free coverage if coupons are used to pay for part of the rental. A quote from their benefits booklet:

To be eligible for coverage under this benefit, your Citi card and/or AAdvantage® miles must be used to pay for the rental car. If a rental car company promotion/discount of any kind is initially applied toward payment of the rental, any remaining portion of the rental must be paid for with your Citi card and/or AAdvantage® miles.
For reference, here is a link to the complete travel protection benefits booklet: https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/...F_0816(1).ashx

Last edited by lexi; Mar 30, 2017 at 7:26 am Reason: Added link to CitiAAdvantage® travel protection benefits booklet.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
As someone who doesn't rent a car so often, I don't understand why you would not use your regular car insurance to cover? Most people's car insurance would cover a rental with the same coverages as your own car. If you get into an accident, you would still pay the same deductibles as if your own car was involved in the accident. It would be the same as if I borrowed someone's car and got into an accident.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by teddybear99
As someone who doesn't rent a car so often, I don't understand why you would not use your regular car insurance to cover?
A lot of us don't own cars and thus have no "regular" car insurance.

Seth
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Also (although I don't fully understand all the considerations here) we might have an old car and dropped the collision coverage, so our responsibility for damage to a current-year rental car would be different.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99
As someone who doesn't rent a car so often, I don't understand why you would not use your regular car insurance to cover? Most people's car insurance would cover a rental with the same coverages as your own car. If you get into an accident, you would still pay the same deductibles as if your own car was involved in the accident. It would be the same as if I borrowed someone's car and got into an accident.
My regular car insurance doesn't cover rentals outside the US. The coverage provided by my credit card does.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:24 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Please follow the thread as it moves to the Car Rental forum.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lexi
My regular car insurance doesn't cover rentals outside the US. The coverage provided by my credit card does.
Double-check that before you rent: most credit cards have a list of excluded countries. And the lists aren't always identical or predictable across all of your cards.

As you read the list, it'll mostly be places where you think "no Westerner in their right mind would rent a car there to begin with." But then you'll see something like Ireland or Italy and think "WTH?" The Ireland one surprised me...I forget which card it was, but I couldn't use it as insurance for an Irish car rental.

Ireland is a downright pleasant place to drive, for what it's worth.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Double-check that before you rent: most credit cards have a list of excluded countries. And the lists aren't always identical or predictable across all of your cards.

As you read the list, it'll mostly be places where you think "no Westerner in their right mind would rent a car there to begin with." But then you'll see something like Ireland or Italy and think "WTH?" The Ireland one surprised me...I forget which card it was, but I couldn't use it as insurance for an Irish car rental.

Ireland is a downright pleasant place to drive, for what it's worth.
Luckily the terms and conditions on my credit card have no exclusions for the countries where coverage is provided. It is worldwide coverage - period.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by lexi
Luckily the terms and conditions on my credit card have no exclusions for the countries where coverage is provided. It is worldwide coverage - period.
Just curious: what card is that? I'm interested.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:07 pm

See post #17 .
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:10 pm

Lufthansa Miles & More World Business Credit Card (by DKB) is such a card. Insurance is provided worldwide (no exceptions) by AXA.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:03 pm

Cool. I was sure that Citi used to have a list of excluded countries, but I just logged in to my Citi card and found the same language as in Lexi's post 17. I went digging for a few minutes looking for exclusions and could not find any geographic restrictions. Just the usual "don't go offroading", "don't use the car as an Uber", and "bring it back before 31 days".

So this one appears to be a winner. My version is a Thank You card, and it expresses permits TYP bookings as covered by the insurance. (Not that I've ever redeemed TYP on a car before...) A real worldwide benefit. Makes me want to rent a car and spend the day motoring about Cairo or Lima. (Not really. )
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
Does anyone have more recent insight on this? I plan on using a free weekend day coupon from National, sponsored by Visa, using my Saphire Reserve Card. I suppose in this instance, I could argue that the entire cost was paid by Visa. Hopefully I don't end up being the test case though.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...over-cert.html

You may want to take a look at this thread from the National forum. Slightly different situation since in this case the coupon was issued by Discover, but still Chase seems to argue that free day coupons count as a payment method.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by SixAlpha
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...over-cert.html

You may want to take a look at this thread from the National forum. Slightly different situation since in this case the coupon was issued by Discover, but still Chase seems to argue that free day coupons count as a payment method.
That one I understand: $40 essentially went on the Discover card (of which the user really only paid $20), the rest on Chase. Whether it's fair or not is kind of another topic, but this is somewhat different than just using the rental agency's own CDP/PC codes to alter the total cost of the rental, and then paying that total cost with one credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.