Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
AutoSlash automatically searches thousands of coupon codes to find the best one that slashes your rental car rate!
How to use AutoSlash:
  1. Request a quote at https://www.autoslash.com/quote. You'll get an email usually within 10-15 minutes with the best rates (it takes a few minutes to scan through thousands of coupons!). The email will have a link to view your quote results. The quote will include the best rates (after discounts and coupons) from each major rental company that AutoSlash was able to find. Choose which one you want to book and you can then complete your reservation.
  2. If you've already booked a rental elsewhere (or after you book one through step #1 above), register your reservation at https://www.autoslash.com/track. AutoSlash will periodically check your reservation for lower rates and will email you if and when a lower rate is available.

AutoSlash searches and books two different types of rates:
  • "Pay Later" — retail pay-at-counter rates, just like the ones you can book directly at the rental car companies' websites, but with coupons applied to slash the rate
  • "Pay Now" — specially-negotiated "Slash Deals" prepaid rates that can often be a significant discount from retail rates
"Pay Later" rates are booked through affiliate travel sites. Currently, the main affiliate is Priceline, but additional partners may be added in the future. The quote from AutoSlash includes direct pre-discounted deep links to these affiliate sites so you can quickly and easily find and book the rate.
"Pay Now" Slash Deals rates are booked directly with AutoSlash.

FlyerTalk Advanced Questions (FAQs):

Is there a fee to use AutoSlash?
No, AutoSlash doesn't charge for its services.

How does AutoSlash stay in business, then?
AutoSlash gets a little bit of affiliate revenue from the booking links in the quotes.

What big evil corporation is behind AutoSlash?
None. AutoSlash is a bootstrapped start-up birthed by FlyerTalkers (and even still employing mostly FlyerTalk members) with an initial goal of automating what many FlyerTalk members were already doing (manually testing dozens or hundreds of coupon and discount codes for each rental) and now aiming to be the best and cheapest place on the Internet to book rental cars. There are no plans to shut down or sell out, but if someone wants to match or beat this offer...

Why do I have to provide my email address?
It takes a few minutes to scan through all of the different coupon and discount codes, so a real-time search system isn't really possible. An email alert will be sent when your quote is ready, usually within about 10-15 minutes.

Why haven't I still haven't gotten my quote after 15 minutes?
During periods of heavy demand, the system may get a little backed up. Quotes are generally processed in order of pick-up date (rates for rentals several months out usually don't fluctuate very often), though there's a bit of logic in the system to try to make sure that people don't wait too long (more than an hour or so) for a quote, even when AutoSlash is featured on national news money-saving segments. Also, if you request a quote that doesn't return any results (like trying to pick up off-airport at 3am or searching for a convertible in Duluth in January—yes, those are real requests), your request goes into a queue for manual review, where a support agent will review things to see if your quote can be adjusted to find a result. That should be processed within a few hours at most (but often much faster). Also, try checking your junk or spam folder. Some ISPs tend to be aggressive about bouncing AutoSlash quote emails; feel free to reach out to AutoSlash support to check on your quote email status if you can't find it.

How can I get support from AutoSlash?
[email protected] is the best way to get in touch. A support agent is usually online Monday-Friday 8am to midnight Eastern time and Saturday/Sunday 10am to 8pm Eastern time. During that time, you'll usually get a reply within five to 30 minutes or so and pretty much never more than an hour or two. Most agents are long-time FlyerTalk members, meaning your response generally comes from the perspective of a frequent traveler (if not an outright travel hacker), not some clueless offshore call-center script-reader. Since it's a small team, not to mention they're FlyerTalkers and often traveling themselves (and working from on-board wifi), phone support isn't currently provided. Messaging (privately) on Facebook works, too, with similar response time to email (it goes to the same support agents). Public Facebook wall posts and tweeting @autoslash on Twitter as well as posting in this thread aren't as fast (the support team doesn't monitor those, so they're not the best channels for individual support). (Original post)

Why should I use AutoSlash instead of just going directly to Priceline?
If you search on Priceline.com's homepage for a rental car rate, you'll just get the same rack rates that you'll find on the rental car companies' own sites (plus a mix of nonrefundable prepaid Express Deals rates). The pay-at-counter rates AutoSlash finds are different (and usually significantly lower) than the rates you'd find looking directly on Priceline due to the coupons and discounts AutoSlash applies.

Why are rates on AutoSlash the same or higher than what I've already found elsewhere?
Could be a couple of reasons. If any time has elapsed since you found the lower rate elsewhere, rates simply may have gone up. Compare rates within a few minutes of each other to make sure both results are fresh. A lower rate you found last week really means nothing if you compare it to a rate you found today. Also, make sure you're searching for the exact same itinerary--even adjusting the pick-up or drop-off time by one minute could affect rates, sometimes drastically, especially with all of the rate management games the rental companies engage in these days. Make sure, too, you're searching the exact same location--a small difference in location can be easily overlooked when searching for off-airport rentals. The easiest solution is to book what you found elsewhere and then submit it for price tracking—that way, it's assured to be an apples-to-apples comparison. If you found or booked the lower rate elsewhere within the last hour and AutoSlash can't beat it, there's probably something wrong somewhere. Reach out to [email protected] for assistance and you're virtually assured to come out with an even lower rate.

Are reservations I book through Priceline refundable?
The Pay Later rates AutoSlash finds are not prepaid and generally don't even require providing a credit card (a few exceptions apply depending on company and location—no-show fees are starting to make some appearances). Be sure to look for rates marked "Pay Later," "Pay At Counter," "Free Cancellation," or similar, or just avoid booking anything that asks you to enter a credit card number, to avoid accidentally booking one of Priceline's prepaid and nonrefundable Express Deals. If you match the rate AutoSlash quotes exactly (i.e. AutoSlash quotes a rate with Alamo of $142.62, and you find a rate with Alamo on Priceline of $142.62), then it should be fully cancelable without a penalty.

Why do I have to prepay now? Why did you change?
Nothing's changed—only a new, extra option! AutoSlash still searches the same pay-at-counter rates it always has, and they're still in your quote (marked as "Pay Later" and bookable via major online travel agencies). In addition, AutoSlash now also offers the option to directly book highly-discounted prepaid rates, which are often lower (they're marked in your quote as "Pay Now" or "Slash Deals"). But prepaying for your rental doesn't mean you're trading flexibility—prepaid Slash Deals rates can be canceled for a full refund up to 48 hours before the scheduled pick-up time.

Are prepaid Slash Deals rates booked directly through AutoSlash refundable?
Slash Deals reservations can be canceled up to 48 hours before pick-up (in the local time zone of the rental office) for a full refund without a penalty. Within 48 hours of pick-up, cancellations are subject to a cancellation fee equal to 1 day's charges. After the pick-up time, reservations are nonrefundable.

I booked a prepaid Slash Deal. What if my flight is canceled or the rental agency won't rent me a car?
The cancellation fees are set by contract between the car rental companies and the booking vendor AutoSlash uses. AutoSlash has a limited ability to request exceptions to the cancellation policy but can't guarantee refunds. AutoSlash recommends you always carry a good travel insurance policy to help minimize issues with prepaid travel arrangements. (Original post)

Can I add my loyalty program to a prepaid Slash Deals reservation?
Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do this (though it's understandably important to most people on FlyerTalk!). However, due to the way National's program works, you can still receive your Emerald Club benefits on prepaid bookings--just book and then use National as normal, including skipping the counter and choosing a car from the Emerald Aisle or Executive Selection as applicable, and the agent at the exit gate will associate the rental to your Emerald Club account using your driver's license number. While not guaranteed, rental credits (including One-Two Free hits) should post normally. To date, no one's posted any experiences attempting this with other rental companies (please post if you try this!).

Are prepaid Slash Deals safe to book? Can I trust AutoSlash?
The booking vendor behind prepaid Slash Deals rates, Connexions Loyalty, is one of the largest vendors in this sector. They power the booking portals for many major financial institutions' rewards portals, including Citi ThankYou Points and (until recently) Chase Ultimate Rewards, both products used by tens of thousands of FlyerTalk members (so hardly a fly-by-night operator). Connexions has robust contracts with the rental car companies for rates and inventory. At no point does AutoSlash ever have access to your credit card information; the travel.autoslash.com subdomain for booking Slash Deals rates is actually hosted by Connexions.

What happened to the grid?
The previous booking platform AutoSlash used was discontinued (it was a division of Travelocity that got bought by Orbitz and eventually folded into Expedia and then sunsetted). AirportRentalCars.com, a subsidiary of Priceline, does have a grid that actually works reasonably well, but their support for coupons and discounts is broken at the moment--hopefully they'll get it fixed at some point. Most other sites out there we've found with grids have half-baked or zero support for coupons and discounts, making them a non-starter.

Known Issues and Workarounds:

Off-airport rate not found: Occasionally, a rate AutoSlash finds in an off-airport quote request won't show up when you click on the Priceline link. This is usually due to Priceline's default search not including the location AutoSlash found. (Priceline dynamically adjusts their search radius based on a number of factors, and they also always search from the geographic center of the city, regardless of ) The current best workaround is to take the Priceline URL and append &radius=25 to the end, which will force Priceline to show all locations within 25 miles of the city center (this can be hundreds of results). You can use the filters on the left sidebar to help narrow down the results and make it easier to find the rate you're looking for. (Original post)

Customizing tracking results: AutoSlash support agents can adjust the reservation parameters (date/time/location/car size/membership affiliations/etc.) as well as filter out specific rental car companies and disable searching for prepaid rates. Reach out to [email protected] or reply to your tracking confirmation or offer email for help with this.

Feature Requests:
  • User profiles -- it's coming--slowly, yes, but it's finally on the development timeline
  • Mobile-friendly design -- in progress
  • App -- not much benefit to one until user profiles are rolled out. Let's get mobile-friendly design perfected first.
  • Retain membership/affiliation choices in a cookie -- RESOLVED
Print Wikipost

Autoslash (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:26 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by grifta67
Ooooh, this is very intriguing to me. I moved to California over 5 years ago and just rented a car out here for the first time earlier this year. If I recall, they (Alamo) inferred that there would be a charge to add an additional driver.

Is it that the companies shouldn't even be trying to charge for additional drivers to begin with, or that you have to challenge them and bring up the law when they try to?
You shouldn't have to challenge them. They are all well aware of the law. You can put as many additional drivers on the contract as you want (I believe they still have to be listed), but their computer system should't charge you for any of them.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I recently used Autoslash for a Rental at PHL. I had booked a reservation with Hertz (registered it with Autoslash) and 1 week before received an offer to save $40-$50 dollars with Budget (I passed) 4 Days or so later, I received another email now saving about $125 with Budget (I bit)

Created the reservation (all went well) Joined Fastrack with Budget and was approved in a few days. All went smooth and I saved allot of money and had Fastrack service as well. I was very happy as the savings was off a strong Corporate Rate from Hertz which I am Chairmans Preferred Gold. I was tentative (had two bookings on arrival) and the Budget Bus came first and said why not? If I had any issues I was planning on going to Hertz.. Thanks! Autoslash..
Glad it worked out and we were able to save you a boatload of $$$ Flying Machine! Like you, we lean toward Hertz, but when the savings are that great, Budget is a great alternative. Budget is owned by Avis and they run a pretty tight ship so with FastBreak, you can usually be on your way pretty quickly with an experience that rivals Hertz/Avis/National, often for far less money after discounts are taken into account.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jun 23, 2015 at 12:23 am
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:58 pm

Hi,

I am new here and not sure if I am posting in the correct form. I went on a trip to Vegas, last weekend and booked a rental at Budget. At the time of picking the car, I had go through a lot of paper work (which never happened with enterprise) and paid $20 per day LDW, which was a lot at the end of my 3 day trip. I made the payment via my Chase VISA and have an Allstate insurance. After coming back I read a lot of articles whether to continue paying LDW or not. But I am still unsure as to why. Please advice if that is to be paid.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Always great to get one of these emails:

Thanks for booking with AutoSlash. We review each reservation daily for additional savings. We found a better rate on your upcoming Avis rental in San Jose on 7/10/2015

You were originally booked at $121.51, and the price has now dropped to $64.34. We've automatically re-booked your rental at the lower rate. You've saved $57.17 without even lifting a finger!
^^^
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by spinach.blue
Hi,

I am new here and not sure if I am posting in the correct form. I went on a trip to Vegas, last weekend and booked a rental at Budget. At the time of picking the car, I had go through a lot of paper work (which never happened with enterprise) and paid $20 per day LDW, which was a lot at the end of my 3 day trip. I made the payment via my Chase VISA and have an Allstate insurance. After coming back I read a lot of articles whether to continue paying LDW or not. But I am still unsure as to why. Please advice if that is to be paid.
LDW is always optional (at least in the U.S.). There's a good chance you'd already covered by your credit card and/or personal auto insurance. Take a look at this article which I think you'll find informative.

As for the paperwork, sign up for the frequent renter program for the company you are renting from. For example, Budget's program is called FastBreak and you can sign up online. When you arrive, all your information will be on-file so you can get on your way quickly.

With Hertz #1 Club, Avis Preferred, and National Emerald Club, once you're signed up, you won't even have to stop at the rental counter. You go right to the car and drive off, showing your driver's license on the way out. More info on that here.

I hope this helps!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
We'd be glad to try it--definitely feel free to email us and we'll see what we can do.

That said, Avis's system is a bit tricky. We haven't been able to nail down exactly what triggers the problem, but in some (though not all) cases, adding a Wizard number will override the AWD we've found and cause the rate to go up.

Avis has actually said that rentals booked with Wizard numbers can only use discount codes saved in the Wizard account. We originally thought that it only happened with Wizard profiles that have saved AWDs and that accounts without any saved AWDs would let all other discount codes go through, but we've recently seen it happen to people who swear up and down their account has never had a default AWD. (In our own tests using our own Wizard profiles, we can't reproduce the problem, which makes troubleshooting somewhat difficult.)

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a workaround, since adding it at the rental counter still causes the rate to go up. That said, the problem is specific to Avis (and to a lesser extent, their sister company, Budget) and doesn't happen with any other agencies.
I am a first time AutoSlash user.
As a data point for FT and for AutoSlash in troubleshooting this issue:

I have an AutoSlash rental (Budget) that wouldn't let me add my (Fastbreak, RapidRez, Wizard) during booking due to an "error with my number not matching the name on file." After booking without the number, I emailed AutoSlash and the agent says that it is on file and that I should be good to go.

I then called Budget to confirm and it is not showing up on the res and adding it would raise my rate.

The rate was a good deal (~$100 less) compared to my Costco rate (also through Budget) but I need to consider that the AutoSlash rate does not include an additional driver, the rate has a limited mileage allowance, and I will now be waiting in the notoriously reported long queue to pick up the car.

Is there any way that the secret sauce AutoSlash used to secure my rate was not compatible with my name or anyone else's for that matter?

Overall I like the concept and service levels. I do wish that I could see a list of all the queries that they are still working on for me based on my email address.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by RogerMurdock
I am a first time AutoSlash user.
As a data point for FT and for AutoSlash in troubleshooting this issue:

I have an AutoSlash rental (Budget) that wouldn't let me add my (Fastbreak, RapidRez, Wizard) during booking due to an "error with my number not matching the name on file." After booking without the number, I emailed AutoSlash and the agent says that it is on file and that I should be good to go.

I then called Budget to confirm and it is not showing up on the res and adding it would raise my rate.

The rate was a good deal (~$100 less) compared to my Costco rate (also through Budget) but I need to consider that the AutoSlash rate does not include an additional driver, the rate has a limited mileage allowance, and I will now be waiting in the notoriously reported long queue to pick up the car.

Is there any way that the secret sauce AutoSlash used to secure my rate was not compatible with my name or anyone else's for that matter?

Overall I like the concept and service levels. I do wish that I could see a list of all the queries that they are still working on for me based on my email address.
No "secret sauce" per se. Our system goes through Sabre which is the dominant system that travel agents use to book with travel suppliers. The hand-off between Sabre and Avis/Budget can sometimes be troublesome when dealing with Budget FastBreak/Avis Preferred numbers. We believe this to be a problem on the Avis-Budget side since it doesn't happen with any of the other rental companies. Unfortunately sometimes when applying your frequent renter number it causes the rate to jump up, and the only option is booking at the higher rate to get the number on there, or leave the number off and have the agent add it at the rental counter. It only happens a small percentage of the time, but we acknowledge that is can be an inconvenience when it does. Unfortunately we don't have a solution for it at this time (or even fully understand why the the rate jumps up with the number applied), but we will continue to try to apply your number anytime we find a lower rate, so it may work eventually. Sorry for any inconvenience.

There is a way to see your pending reservations. Just to go autoslash.com/forgot.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:19 am

Hi,

I tried using your website for a PHX trip from 8/17-8/23 and it only shows Advantage and Fox rental(never heard of either). I don't see any of the other rental companies.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by nas6034
Hi,

I tried using your website for a PHX trip from 8/17-8/23 and it only shows Advantage and Fox rental(never heard of either). I don't see any of the other rental companies.
The best thing to do is to go to our quote page at autoslash.com/quote. Submit your info there and you'll get back discounted rates via email across all companies. Hope this helps!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:08 pm

Had a lot of trouble with a rental. I booked with Autoslash and when I got to the counter (Union Station DC), Budget rep said that the coupon was invalid. I didn't know what coupon Autoslash used, but Budget declined it and I had to rent the car at a much higher price.

Authoslash doesn't have a phone support. They ask you to email them with the word "URGENT" in the subject line. Someone did respond within about 5 mins - said that they would work with Budget later and I should just go ahead with the higher price.

It was definitely a little humiliating as the Budget rep pretended that I was stealing or something.

I am returning the car tomorrow. Will see how the process goes with Autoslash.

Last edited by leonidas; Jul 29, 2015 at 11:20 am
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by leonidas
Had a lot of trouble with a rental. I booked with Autoslash and when I got to the counter (Union Station DC), Budget rep said that the coupon was invalid. I didn't what coupon Autoslash used, but Budget declined it and I had to rent the card at a much higher price.

Authoslash doesn't have a phone support. They ask you to email them with the word "URGENT" in the subject line. Someone did respond within about 5 mins - said that they would work with Budget later and I should just go ahead with the higher price.

It was definitely a little humiliating as the Budget rep pretended that I was stealing or something.

Our sincere apologies for the service you experienced at Budget. That is clearly NOT how we want our customers to be treated. In some rare cases, a coupon may have a blackout date or other restriction that comes up on the counter system even though Budget lets it get booked in the first place. The problem is actually on Budget's side, so the rep was clearly misguided in where they were directing their ire.

Of course as we've stated in the past, out rates are 100% guaranteed. Just send us a copy of your receipt at the conclusion of the rental and we'll get the difference credited to your card or we'll reimburse you ourselves for any overage. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:11 am

Had a lot of trouble with a rental. I booked with Autoslash and when I got to the counter (Union Station DC), Budget rep said that the coupon was invalid. I didn't what coupon Autoslash used, but Budget declined it and I had to rent the card at a much higher price.

I meant to write yesterday but I see you got a response from the guys at Autoslash. I just wanted to reiterate that those guys are the best. I have found nothing sleazy about their operation and they do stand behind everything. They are terrific at treating their customers well. Just wish I can say the same about a lot of other organizations.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Had a lot of trouble with a rental.
In all the years I've been reading this thread, this is the first time (IIRC), that I've read about an issue with AS.

N.B. I love your chocolate. The first time I enjoyed it was in Belgium.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by dhammer53
In all the years I've been reading this thread, this is the first time (IIRC), that I've read about an issue with AS.
I had one issue a year or two ago, but in my case, I got an email from the car company well in advance of the rental that the rate or coupon was no longer valid. Autoslash said they would make up the difference, if they weren't able to find a rate equal to or lower than what they had previously reserved. But my plans ended up changing, so I didn't use the rental and give them a chance to make good on the promise.

But cases like this are thankfully very rare.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:09 pm

So I had Autoslash watch for a lower rental rate and it found one with National! Pretty awesome. So I book the new rate and get a confirmation number. I look at the reservation details on national's website and notice that the rate is using Car and Driver's contract ID.

Now technically, anyone who uses this ID has to be a C&D subscriber, but at no time was this listed on Autoslash's terms and conditions during the booking.

So I'm curious now, is Autoslash making bookings using contract IDs that its users most likely shouldn't use? Are there implications with regard to insurance coverages, whether purchased from the rental car company, through the credit card, or through one's personal insurance?

Not judging, just wanted to add an interesting data point. I've used Autoslash probably half a dozen times now and it's been a great experience every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.