Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
AutoSlash automatically searches thousands of coupon codes to find the best one that slashes your rental car rate!
How to use AutoSlash:
  1. Request a quote at https://www.autoslash.com/quote. You'll get an email usually within 10-15 minutes with the best rates (it takes a few minutes to scan through thousands of coupons!). The email will have a link to view your quote results. The quote will include the best rates (after discounts and coupons) from each major rental company that AutoSlash was able to find. Choose which one you want to book and you can then complete your reservation.
  2. If you've already booked a rental elsewhere (or after you book one through step #1 above), register your reservation at https://www.autoslash.com/track. AutoSlash will periodically check your reservation for lower rates and will email you if and when a lower rate is available.

AutoSlash searches and books two different types of rates:
  • "Pay Later" — retail pay-at-counter rates, just like the ones you can book directly at the rental car companies' websites, but with coupons applied to slash the rate
  • "Pay Now" — specially-negotiated "Slash Deals" prepaid rates that can often be a significant discount from retail rates
"Pay Later" rates are booked through affiliate travel sites. Currently, the main affiliate is Priceline, but additional partners may be added in the future. The quote from AutoSlash includes direct pre-discounted deep links to these affiliate sites so you can quickly and easily find and book the rate.
"Pay Now" Slash Deals rates are booked directly with AutoSlash.

FlyerTalk Advanced Questions (FAQs):

Is there a fee to use AutoSlash?
No, AutoSlash doesn't charge for its services.

How does AutoSlash stay in business, then?
AutoSlash gets a little bit of affiliate revenue from the booking links in the quotes.

What big evil corporation is behind AutoSlash?
None. AutoSlash is a bootstrapped start-up birthed by FlyerTalkers (and even still employing mostly FlyerTalk members) with an initial goal of automating what many FlyerTalk members were already doing (manually testing dozens or hundreds of coupon and discount codes for each rental) and now aiming to be the best and cheapest place on the Internet to book rental cars. There are no plans to shut down or sell out, but if someone wants to match or beat this offer...

Why do I have to provide my email address?
It takes a few minutes to scan through all of the different coupon and discount codes, so a real-time search system isn't really possible. An email alert will be sent when your quote is ready, usually within about 10-15 minutes.

Why haven't I still haven't gotten my quote after 15 minutes?
During periods of heavy demand, the system may get a little backed up. Quotes are generally processed in order of pick-up date (rates for rentals several months out usually don't fluctuate very often), though there's a bit of logic in the system to try to make sure that people don't wait too long (more than an hour or so) for a quote, even when AutoSlash is featured on national news money-saving segments. Also, if you request a quote that doesn't return any results (like trying to pick up off-airport at 3am or searching for a convertible in Duluth in January—yes, those are real requests), your request goes into a queue for manual review, where a support agent will review things to see if your quote can be adjusted to find a result. That should be processed within a few hours at most (but often much faster). Also, try checking your junk or spam folder. Some ISPs tend to be aggressive about bouncing AutoSlash quote emails; feel free to reach out to AutoSlash support to check on your quote email status if you can't find it.

How can I get support from AutoSlash?
[email protected] is the best way to get in touch. A support agent is usually online Monday-Friday 8am to midnight Eastern time and Saturday/Sunday 10am to 8pm Eastern time. During that time, you'll usually get a reply within five to 30 minutes or so and pretty much never more than an hour or two. Most agents are long-time FlyerTalk members, meaning your response generally comes from the perspective of a frequent traveler (if not an outright travel hacker), not some clueless offshore call-center script-reader. Since it's a small team, not to mention they're FlyerTalkers and often traveling themselves (and working from on-board wifi), phone support isn't currently provided. Messaging (privately) on Facebook works, too, with similar response time to email (it goes to the same support agents). Public Facebook wall posts and tweeting @autoslash on Twitter as well as posting in this thread aren't as fast (the support team doesn't monitor those, so they're not the best channels for individual support). (Original post)

Why should I use AutoSlash instead of just going directly to Priceline?
If you search on Priceline.com's homepage for a rental car rate, you'll just get the same rack rates that you'll find on the rental car companies' own sites (plus a mix of nonrefundable prepaid Express Deals rates). The pay-at-counter rates AutoSlash finds are different (and usually significantly lower) than the rates you'd find looking directly on Priceline due to the coupons and discounts AutoSlash applies.

Why are rates on AutoSlash the same or higher than what I've already found elsewhere?
Could be a couple of reasons. If any time has elapsed since you found the lower rate elsewhere, rates simply may have gone up. Compare rates within a few minutes of each other to make sure both results are fresh. A lower rate you found last week really means nothing if you compare it to a rate you found today. Also, make sure you're searching for the exact same itinerary--even adjusting the pick-up or drop-off time by one minute could affect rates, sometimes drastically, especially with all of the rate management games the rental companies engage in these days. Make sure, too, you're searching the exact same location--a small difference in location can be easily overlooked when searching for off-airport rentals. The easiest solution is to book what you found elsewhere and then submit it for price tracking—that way, it's assured to be an apples-to-apples comparison. If you found or booked the lower rate elsewhere within the last hour and AutoSlash can't beat it, there's probably something wrong somewhere. Reach out to [email protected] for assistance and you're virtually assured to come out with an even lower rate.

Are reservations I book through Priceline refundable?
The Pay Later rates AutoSlash finds are not prepaid and generally don't even require providing a credit card (a few exceptions apply depending on company and location—no-show fees are starting to make some appearances). Be sure to look for rates marked "Pay Later," "Pay At Counter," "Free Cancellation," or similar, or just avoid booking anything that asks you to enter a credit card number, to avoid accidentally booking one of Priceline's prepaid and nonrefundable Express Deals. If you match the rate AutoSlash quotes exactly (i.e. AutoSlash quotes a rate with Alamo of $142.62, and you find a rate with Alamo on Priceline of $142.62), then it should be fully cancelable without a penalty.

Why do I have to prepay now? Why did you change?
Nothing's changed—only a new, extra option! AutoSlash still searches the same pay-at-counter rates it always has, and they're still in your quote (marked as "Pay Later" and bookable via major online travel agencies). In addition, AutoSlash now also offers the option to directly book highly-discounted prepaid rates, which are often lower (they're marked in your quote as "Pay Now" or "Slash Deals"). But prepaying for your rental doesn't mean you're trading flexibility—prepaid Slash Deals rates can be canceled for a full refund up to 48 hours before the scheduled pick-up time.

Are prepaid Slash Deals rates booked directly through AutoSlash refundable?
Slash Deals reservations can be canceled up to 48 hours before pick-up (in the local time zone of the rental office) for a full refund without a penalty. Within 48 hours of pick-up, cancellations are subject to a cancellation fee equal to 1 day's charges. After the pick-up time, reservations are nonrefundable.

I booked a prepaid Slash Deal. What if my flight is canceled or the rental agency won't rent me a car?
The cancellation fees are set by contract between the car rental companies and the booking vendor AutoSlash uses. AutoSlash has a limited ability to request exceptions to the cancellation policy but can't guarantee refunds. AutoSlash recommends you always carry a good travel insurance policy to help minimize issues with prepaid travel arrangements. (Original post)

Can I add my loyalty program to a prepaid Slash Deals reservation?
Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do this (though it's understandably important to most people on FlyerTalk!). However, due to the way National's program works, you can still receive your Emerald Club benefits on prepaid bookings--just book and then use National as normal, including skipping the counter and choosing a car from the Emerald Aisle or Executive Selection as applicable, and the agent at the exit gate will associate the rental to your Emerald Club account using your driver's license number. While not guaranteed, rental credits (including One-Two Free hits) should post normally. To date, no one's posted any experiences attempting this with other rental companies (please post if you try this!).

Are prepaid Slash Deals safe to book? Can I trust AutoSlash?
The booking vendor behind prepaid Slash Deals rates, Connexions Loyalty, is one of the largest vendors in this sector. They power the booking portals for many major financial institutions' rewards portals, including Citi ThankYou Points and (until recently) Chase Ultimate Rewards, both products used by tens of thousands of FlyerTalk members (so hardly a fly-by-night operator). Connexions has robust contracts with the rental car companies for rates and inventory. At no point does AutoSlash ever have access to your credit card information; the travel.autoslash.com subdomain for booking Slash Deals rates is actually hosted by Connexions.

What happened to the grid?
The previous booking platform AutoSlash used was discontinued (it was a division of Travelocity that got bought by Orbitz and eventually folded into Expedia and then sunsetted). AirportRentalCars.com, a subsidiary of Priceline, does have a grid that actually works reasonably well, but their support for coupons and discounts is broken at the moment--hopefully they'll get it fixed at some point. Most other sites out there we've found with grids have half-baked or zero support for coupons and discounts, making them a non-starter.

Known Issues and Workarounds:

Off-airport rate not found: Occasionally, a rate AutoSlash finds in an off-airport quote request won't show up when you click on the Priceline link. This is usually due to Priceline's default search not including the location AutoSlash found. (Priceline dynamically adjusts their search radius based on a number of factors, and they also always search from the geographic center of the city, regardless of ) The current best workaround is to take the Priceline URL and append &radius=25 to the end, which will force Priceline to show all locations within 25 miles of the city center (this can be hundreds of results). You can use the filters on the left sidebar to help narrow down the results and make it easier to find the rate you're looking for. (Original post)

Customizing tracking results: AutoSlash support agents can adjust the reservation parameters (date/time/location/car size/membership affiliations/etc.) as well as filter out specific rental car companies and disable searching for prepaid rates. Reach out to [email protected] or reply to your tracking confirmation or offer email for help with this.

Feature Requests:
  • User profiles -- it's coming--slowly, yes, but it's finally on the development timeline
  • Mobile-friendly design -- in progress
  • App -- not much benefit to one until user profiles are rolled out. Let's get mobile-friendly design perfected first.
  • Retain membership/affiliation choices in a cookie -- RESOLVED
Print Wikipost

Autoslash (General Discussion)

Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:51 am

Thanks very much for your help
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:50 pm

LAS to the San Francisco area is always cheap...

but this one is for the record books... Booked a one way from LAS to downtown San Francisco (750 Bush location) via Alamo, through AutoSlash and then (ugh) Priceline... with a $10 discount coupon, the total on my drop-off was $6.00

Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'm wondering, not that AutoSlash isn't doing the automatic rebooking, why do we still need to give our confirmation number and exact price when we submit a tracking request?

It seems like it would be simpler for you and more useful for us to just submit the request as a minimum car class and target price (along with location, dates and times).

For instance, I may book a midsize that is the same price as a compact, but for tracking purposes, I'd be interested in a compact if cheaper. Or maybe I have a rental that includes bonus miles, so I might have a total price of $200 but only want to rebook if the cost were below $175.
tatterdema likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:39 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by swag
I'm wondering, not that AutoSlash isn't doing the automatic rebooking, why do we still need to give our confirmation number and exact price when we submit a tracking request?

It seems like it would be simpler for you and more useful for us to just submit the request as a minimum car class and target price (along with location, dates and times).

For instance, I may book a midsize that is the same price as a compact, but for tracking purposes, I'd be interested in a compact if cheaper. Or maybe I have a rental that includes bonus miles, so I might have a total price of $200 but only want to rebook if the cost were below $175.
You make some very good points. At some point, we may do something like this. The quick answer is that many of our customers are not that savvy. They get confused about what they booked and then end up entering in the wrong information which leads to confusion, frustration and inevitably manual work on our end. It's simpler to just have folks enter in their actual booking details and let us pull it directly from the rental company to ensure accuracy.

Lastly, we need the price because in some cases, the rental company doesn't show the price booked. This often happens with prepaid rentals, but it can be a problem with certain companies on pay-at-the-counter rentals as well.

If you'd like us to update the price and/or vehicle type for a tracked rental, feel free to send us an email (or just reply to any email you received from us) and we'll be happy to adjust is as per your needs.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I was very happy to get a Hertz car. I went directly to the aisle and picked a car in my category. When I checked my account, no points. Do you think I should check my account again, or is that the way it is?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I was very happy to get a Hertz car. I went directly to the aisle and picked a car in my category. When I checked my account, no points. Do you think I should check my account again, or is that the way it is?
I had a Hertz rental last month (Priceline via Autoslash) and the points posted properly to my Hertz account.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Booking through AutoSlash shouldn't have affected points earning. Did you receive an eReceipt via email? It should show on there your points earning for the rental. Feel free to forward the receipt email to us if you like and we can review.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
The Hertz points posted after I posted this. ^
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:42 pm

Hi, just send a PM, I have a Alamo booking $394+ through Costco, I received a alert for $393.62 from Autoslash today for Dollar from Priceline , but I just checked the Costco Website and find out rate is $391.10, so is it a system bug I don't received a alert for Costco Travel or it's just a commission purpose only priceline involved?

also I have a dollar booking $205.08, I register for tracking 10 mins ago, but just got a Email alert for $229.49 rate?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:08 am

Additional Driver

I have found Autoslash to be useful, but I have a suggestion for a helpful feature enhancement.

I typically need to have a second driver on my car. I usually use the Costco corporate rates because they include a second driver.

When I search on Autoslash, I have no way to control for this and can't the auto-rebooking feature because the new rate might not provide a free additional driver.

I think it could be helpful to limit the ability to provide lower rates/rebook to rates using particular corporate code and/or rates with specific features (like no additional driver fees).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ObieGrad
I have found Autoslash to be useful, but I have a suggestion for a helpful feature enhancement.

I typically need to have a second driver on my car. I usually use the Costco corporate rates because they include a second driver.

When I search on Autoslash, I have no way to control for this and can't the auto-rebooking feature because the new rate might not provide a free additional driver.

I think it could be helpful to limit the ability to provide lower rates/rebook to rates using particular corporate code and/or rates with specific features (like no additional driver fees).
I would second additional driver provisions as something that could be provided under "Advanced Options" or something.

I realize it might not always be clear whether a promotional code includes a second driver, but there are some (like Costco) that always include it. If I need a second driver, I am happy to forgo some potential discounts in exchange for a code that gives a lesser discount but saves the additional driver fee. Might also be nice to calculate the additional driver fee since in some instances, it might be cheaper to just pay it. Had a one-way rental a few months back where AutoSlash knocked hundreds off the price--at $12/day, the extra driver fee would have only been $36, so in that situation it would be better to just pay the fee than use the Costco code and end up with a rental costing $300 more.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:47 am

Great news (for those who discovered this issue):

Priceline now properly passes frequent renter numbers for the Enterprise Holdings brands.

That means that if you put your National Emerald Club number in your reservation on Priceline, National will honor your Emerald Club benefits (including skipping the counter, choosing a car directly from the Aisle, receiving any free upgrades you're entitled to, etc.). Same goes for Enterprise Plus and Alamo Insiders.

(Obviously, quite a few of our customers noticed this was broken, and we were quite surprised to find that something like this could escape the notice of the largest travel agency on earth, but we worked hard to get it noticed by the right development teams at Priceline and are relieved that the fix was put into production on Friday.)

Originally Posted by ottothecow
I would second additional driver provisions as something that could be provided under "Advanced Options" or something.

I realize it might not always be clear whether a promotional code includes a second driver, but there are some (like Costco) that always include it. If I need a second driver, I am happy to forgo some potential discounts in exchange for a code that gives a lesser discount but saves the additional driver fee. Might also be nice to calculate the additional driver fee since in some instances, it might be cheaper to just pay it. Had a one-way rental a few months back where AutoSlash knocked hundreds off the price--at $12/day, the extra driver fee would have only been $36, so in that situation it would be better to just pay the fee than use the Costco code and end up with a rental costing $300 more.
Being able to differentiate rates that charge additional driver fees versus ones that don't is something we've talked about doing and are currently thinking about the best way it could be integrated into the interface. We have most of the data to be able to intelligently identify that information based on the type of driver (chiefly spouse or non-spouse), company (e.g. Avis waives the fee for spouses, while Dollar does not), discount code (i.e. AAA, Costco, etc.), and location (e.g. California law prohibits all additional driver fees). Having a toggle where you can select "no additional driver," "spouse additional driver," or "non-spouse additional driver" and then identifying in the search results which options would avoid an additional driver fee is something we can probably do at some point when we have the development resources to. (A related enhancement would be to allow you to limit the search to discount codes that waive the additional driver fee, like AAA and Costco, and either hide or separately show results that don't waive the fee, so you can make an educated decision.)

However, actually calculating the total rate including the additional driver fee is likely not going to be something easily accomplished. There's no centralized database anywhere of additional driver fees (or underage fees or insurance prices or anything), and there's no process in place for the rental companies to provide that information (unlike the airlines, which have started to include things like checked baggage prices in their GDS and XML direct connect messages to the major online travel agencies). In some cases, the information is available on the rental companies' websites or in plain-text reservation terms and conditions published in the GDSes, but in other cases, it's not shown at all. (Prices can also vary at franchised locations and even contradict what is shown at the corporate level.) In many cases, a phone call or even a visit to the rental counter would be required to get the exact pricing information--and just when you think you have the data set assembled, you have to go collect it again in case a location changed its price somewhere along the way. So between attempting to scrape and parse that information from plain-text snippets in various places and manually obtaining it (i.e. hours and hours on the phone), it's clear that the resources it would take to maintain an even partially accurate database of that information is simply more than we have.

Plus, additional driver fees are subject to tax, and so we'd need a tax rate table for every individual location (because every company in every city has a different tax structure and calculates taxes differently). Rental car taxes can often exceed 30%, and so when you're looking at something like 15 days of a $15/day additional driver fee, the taxes alone can add another $70 or more to the cost of an additional driver.

We can probably get somewhere in the ballpark with an educated guess based on typical additional driver policies and assumptions about tax rates, but at best I think we might be able to add a note with a range to the effect of "plus additional driver fee of $110-140" or something. To be frank, though, there are a lot bigger fish to fry right now, but it's something I'd personally love to do and do hope we can add something like that in at some point.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Great news (for those who discovered this issue):Priceline now properly passes frequent renter numbers for the Enterprise Holdings brands.
That means that if you put your National Emerald Club number in your reservation on Priceline, National will honor your Emerald Club benefits
Good to know, one of the reasons on my last rental I didn't use AUtoslash, since National came up lowest and the previous rental at National it was 45 minute wait just to get to the counter let alone the processing at the counter we chose a slightly higher rental we made directly and of course got burned anyway (another thread).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Good to know, one of the reasons on my last rental I didn't use AUtoslash, since National came up lowest and the previous rental at National it was 45 minute wait just to get to the counter let alone the processing at the counter we chose a slightly higher rental we made directly and of course got burned anyway (another thread).
I rarely use National but frequently use Alamo, and ironically, I hadn't even noticed there was a problem. Alamo's program is a bit less convenient, even as an Insider you have to go through check-in and skip-the-counter online before arrival, and those features are available to all. So I just entered my reservation number when it wasn't in my account, clicked check-in, logged in then to populate all my saved data, and while you were waiting 45 minutes for your National, I was already driving away...
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Made a Costco booking this morning, tracked with Autoslash. Within the hour had $18 saving but I found $37 from going down from Standard to Midsize (I'm and Insider and pick from the lot at this location so not a big deal)..

The Priceline link had space for my Alamo ID so that was good.. Now, with the new system will it auto rebook if a lower price evolves later on Alamo?

Thanks and Safe Travels

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.