Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best one-way car rental discount codes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:12 am

Non USA driver

HI there,
we need some advice here. We are coming to USA from UK for our New York - New Orleans road trip. We've seen a few codes that works so far, but what about eligibility? If we use Avis codes posted in initial post, or Hertz, are we eligible as non USA drivers? How do we find out what we are eligible for and what we are not to avoid surprises and 'being caught'? Where do these codes come from?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IMBrown2
HI there,
we need some advice here. We are coming to USA from UK for our New York - New Orleans road trip. We've seen a few codes that works so far, but what about eligibility? If we use Avis codes posted in initial post, or Hertz, are we eligible as non USA drivers? How do we find out what we are eligible for and what we are not to avoid surprises and 'being caught'? Where do these codes come from?
You are as eligible (or ineligible) as any USA driver. Act like you know what you're doing and you shouldn't have any problems. But have a back-up plan. As a foreigner taking a very long one-way trip, you might be more likely to face increased scrutiny.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:38 am

Ohio code

Hi recently saved about $250 using the Ohio code.. But when I booked it said I have to check in at the counter... I did sign up to be an emerald member, but I also am renting a full size SUV..so not sure if that's why.. I am very worried they are going to ask for proof and that would be kinda embarrassing... I looked on Ohio state's website and they display the code on the website so I am sure many people try to use it- long story not short: has anyone recently used the code?

Last edited by Valoree; Mar 12, 2015 at 9:48 am
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Valoree
Hi recently saved about $250 using the Ohio code.. But when I booked it said I have to check in at the counter... I did sign up to be an emerald member, but I also am renting a full size SUV..so not sure if that's why.. I am very worried they are going to ask for proof and that would be kinda embarrassing... I looked on Ohio state's website and they display the code on the website so I am sure many people try to use it- long story not short: has anyone recently used the code?
As I mentioned in the updated first post, National has taken some steps in the past year to better police their codes (I've often wondered if it's better for them NOT to be overzealous in controlling the codes: I'm sure these codes generate substantial and presumably profitable business that they otherwise would lose). You are certainly more likely to be hassled at a counter than as an Emerald Club member. You are also more likely to be hassled at a small location. You have to decide whether it's worth the risk. If the savings are substantial, I'd go for it and have a back up plan.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
As I mentioned in the updated first post, National has taken some steps in the past year to better police their codes (I've often wondered if it's better for them NOT to be overzealous in controlling the codes: I'm sure these codes generate substantial and presumably profitable business that they otherwise would lose). You are certainly more likely to be hassled at a counter than as an Emerald Club member. You are also more likely to be hassled at a small location. You have to decide whether it's worth the risk. If the savings are substantial, I'd go for it and have a back up plan.
Yeah, guess I need to have a back up plan... I just wasn't sure when you last updated post. I just booked 2 rentals: one to colorado and then the return a month later and by using that code I am saving about $400 so it will be depressing if it doesn't work, but we shall see....Thank you so much for posting these.. Especially if it works
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: AA 2MM, DL 1MM, Marriott PLAT, AVIS CHRMn Club, NATIONAL Exec Elite
Best one way rates

Give these two a try. IAD to LAX $430

T111949 Av
5005809 Na
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:20 am

Hi guys,

It is my first post on FT, but have been reading it for few years already.
I am looking for an advice from your experience, or your opinion.

I am going for a road trip NYC - LAX 26 days in June/July. So I need one way rental on the route.
We are 4 people. I need to pick up a car on June 21st 2015(sunday) and return it to LAX on July 16th 2015.
I am looking for a car size: Standard or Mid-size.

1) The cheapest I have found on those dates(they are not flexiable):
NATIONAL - with code XZ46OSU (ORE OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY) with LDW & SLI for 1507 USD PLUS 250USD(+TAX) ONE WAY FEE in NATIONAL (Am I correct? Please correct me if I am wrong ?)

For me epxensive.
So:
2) I have found on dates June 24th(becouse on that date I will be in DC) to July 16th on the ROUTE : IAD - LAX
NATIONAL - with code XZ46OSU (ORE OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY) with LDW & SLI for 640 USD PLUS 250USD(+TAX) ONE WAY FEE in NATIONAL (Am I correct? Please correct me if I am wrong ?)

So:
That helps a lot becouse now I need to find just a car for 3 days , pick up June 21st from JFK, and drop off June 24th in IAD.
THe cheapest I have found after 1 hr searching was:
AVIS - with code A686200(Priceline code) with LDW & SLI, unlimited milage, one way fee(50 USD) for 250 USD.

So total it gives: 640 USD(National) + 250 USD(National one way fee) + 250 USD(Avis) = 1140 USD

My questions are:
1) Anybody knows if there is any company (Hertz, Alamo, Dollar etc.) which would not charge one way fee between JFK - IAD?Or which one charges the less?
2) Maybe someone could find cheaper price on the route JFK - IAD for those 3 days from 06/21 to 06/24? 250 USD(already with one way fee, LDW,SLI,taxes) is pretty a lot for 3 days.
3) Any recenet life stories from National about checking qualifications to use these codes? I have read all posted already.

Thank you for your help.
Marcin
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marcin.m
Hi guys,

It is my first post on FT, but have been reading it for few years already.
I am looking for an advice from your experience, or your opinion.

I am going for a road trip NYC - LAX 26 days in June/July. So I need one way rental on the route.
We are 4 people. I need to pick up a car on June 21st 2015(sunday) and return it to LAX on July 16th 2015.
I am looking for a car size: Standard or Mid-size.

1) The cheapest I have found on those dates(they are not flexiable):
NATIONAL - with code XZ46OSU (ORE OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY) with LDW & SLI for 1507 USD PLUS 250USD(+TAX) ONE WAY FEE in NATIONAL (Am I correct? Please correct me if I am wrong ?)

For me epxensive.
So:
2) I have found on dates June 24th(becouse on that date I will be in DC) to July 16th on the ROUTE : IAD - LAX
NATIONAL - with code XZ46OSU (ORE OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY) with LDW & SLI for 640 USD PLUS 250USD(+TAX) ONE WAY FEE in NATIONAL (Am I correct? Please correct me if I am wrong ?)

So:
That helps a lot becouse now I need to find just a car for 3 days , pick up June 21st from JFK, and drop off June 24th in IAD.
THe cheapest I have found after 1 hr searching was:
AVIS - with code A686200(Priceline code) with LDW & SLI, unlimited milage, one way fee(50 USD) for 250 USD.

So total it gives: 640 USD(National) + 250 USD(National one way fee) + 250 USD(Avis) = 1140 USD

My questions are:
1) Anybody knows if there is any company (Hertz, Alamo, Dollar etc.) which would not charge one way fee between JFK - IAD?Or which one charges the less?
2) Maybe someone could find cheaper price on the route JFK - IAD for those 3 days from 06/21 to 06/24? 250 USD(already with one way fee, LDW,SLI,taxes) is pretty a lot for 3 days.
3) Any recenet life stories from National about checking qualifications to use these codes? I have read all posted already.

Thank you for your help.
Marcin
Did you try the National codes mentioned in the first post of this thread?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:15 am

Hi,
Yes I did try all National codes and all other codes from other car rental companies from the 1st page of this thread.
The best rate I was able to get with XZ46OSU (ORE OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY) from IAD to LAX for 640 USD + 250USD(+tax) National one way fee.

Maybe someone can give a hint where else to look to compare to still drop this price?
But more I want to try to lower the price from JFK to IAD (becouse my route goes from JFK to LAX, but on ONE RENTAL contract from JFK - to LAX prices are higher - as described in my previous post)
So my questions still would be:
3) Any recenet life stories from National about checking qualifications to use these codes? I have read all posted already
Thank you for your comments.
Marcin
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,
Yes I did try all National codes and all other codes from other car rental companies from the 1st page of this thread.
The best rate I was able to get with XZ46OSU (ORE OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY) from IAD to LAX for 640 USD + 250USD(+tax) National one way fee.

Maybe someone can give a hint where else to look to compare to still drop this price?
But more I want to try to lower the price from JFK to IAD (becouse my route goes from JFK to LAX, but on ONE RENTAL contract from JFK - to LAX prices are higher - as described in my previous post)
So my questions still would be:
3) Any recenet life stories from National about checking qualifications to use these codes? I have read all posted already
Thank you for your comments.
Marcin
I've never heard of the Oregon code: did you try the Ohio one?

Honestly, you probably are at risk of getting grief on this rental because, I'm guessing, you're a foreigner, right? And your rental is very, very unusual. In other words, it might seem suspicious to the rental counter agent, and you will probably present yourself as somebody unlikely to be "qualified" for that rate. So I think it would be wise to try to book a rate (or at least have a back-up rate) for an easy-to-qualify rate. Have you priced this from the Europe search engines? Also google National Car KLM rate to see if it works.

If a "suspicious" code does save you lots of money, just have a back up plan. Because I think there's at least a 25% chance you'll "have a problem" on this kind of rental.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:04 pm

Yes i am foreginer. I tried Ohio rate but gives me 860 USD for a route iad to lax(Oregon gives me 640 USD). So this Oregon is better. I got this Oregon code from here i think someone posted it on 2nd or 3rd page od this thread.
Other price without codes i was able to get was around 1350 usd. So this Oregon one saves me 700 USD.
Is there any way to minimalize(avoid?) contact with National Car rental staff during pick up?
I have proces this 640 USD from National Car Rental official US website. I will look up some other codes as a back up plan.
Aldo i will google up lager this National KLM discount.
Anyway i think will go for it becouse savings are significant for me.
Marcin
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Yes i am foreginer. I tried Ohio rate but gives me 860 USD for a route iad to lax(Oregon gives me 640 USD). So this Oregon is better. I got this Oregon code from here i think someone posted it on 2nd or 3rd page od this thread.
Other price without codes i was able to get was around 1350 usd. So this Oregon one saves me 700 USD.
Is there any way to minimalize(avoid?) contact with National Car rental staff during pick up?
I have proces this 640 USD from National Car Rental official US website. I will look up some other codes as a back up plan.
Marcin
What is the name of the Oregon mascot?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:51 pm

Benny Beaver?
BTW: National Car KLM rate doesn't work.
Marcin
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Marcin
I highly recommend picking the car up at an airport location and not a city location -- even though this will likely cost you more and be more inconvenient for you. From my experience, city locations are WAY more likely to question you.

I'm not sure you're eligible, but could you join the Emerald Club? That way, you barely have to speak to anyone (at least if you pick up at an airport).

Honestly, your rental is VERY weird. And being a foreigner will seem weird to the counter staff. Try to find a better solution, or at least a good back up plan. There's nothing worse than having your transport fail. Trust me on this -- I know.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:23 am

I will be picking up my car in Washington Dulles Airport.
I am Emerald Club member - I used to rent a card from JFK to SFO two years ago with National already.
I will doouble check other codes I have found around, but I don't think any will beat Ohio or Oregon discount.
Marcin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.