best one-way car rental discount codes

Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Caught and asked for ID for the Ohio code today. Fortunately I'm eligible for the WI code and said oops, wrong Big 10 code!
How did you get "caught" using the Ohio rate? The leisure rate seems to be good for faculty, staff, students and their immediate families affiliated with a host of Ohio colleges. How on earth would someone at a car rental counter be able to prove you didn't qualify?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by iahphx
How did you get "caught" using the Ohio rate? The leisure rate seems to be good for faculty, staff, students and their immediate families affiliated with a host of Ohio colleges. How on earth would someone at a car rental counter be able to prove you didn't qualify?
Good question, but there was no convincing her I was eligible. Stay away from Milwaukee airport.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:43 pm

Rt 66 Adventure

We are planning a one way trip on Rt 66 from Chicago to LA...car rentals are coming up $3K for a 13 day trip and that's BEFORE all the imposed taxes and fees which add up to $4K. I've read the threads here and used the Ohio code and the price dropped to $450 unlimited miles before taxes and $750 after taxes. A significant savings....my question is: They provided an estimated price of $750 would they tack on a drop charge or other charges that aren't outlined in the reservation? Has anyone who has used this code every experienced tacked on fees outside of what is quoted in the estimated cost? I really want to go on this trip but don't want to get to Chicago and get crushed with surprise fees or worse yet get to Cali and get the surprise. Looks like most one ways in this thread are small distances.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:58 am

Hi all. How's it going. Just booked for a SFO-Houston Hobby trip and saved a couple hundred bucks using XZ38140, but nervous about the check in. I have a question, what is the demographic of this page. I'm a late 20's white male and I'm wondering if anyone here is in a similiar demographic. I think the code is for retirement, and am wondering if it is possible that I'll get hassled. I guess if I do I can always say I have a car and driver subscription. thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Immediate families too? Where did you read that? Source please...
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Immediate families too? Where did you read that? Source please...
Google it -- it certainly says spouses are OK. I don't think you'll be asked to produce a marriage certificate.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:21 am

Has anyone ever done a one-way rental through europe?

I'm looking to rent a car and drive from Italy to Poland.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by shuom
Has anyone ever done a one-way rental through europe?

I'm looking to rent a car and drive from Italy to Poland.
If you can even find someone who will rent this to you, it will be very expensive. The drop fee will be huge, essentially because some employee of the rental company will have to fly from Italy to Poland and drive the car back.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
If you can even find someone who will rent this to you, it will be very expensive. The drop fee will be huge, essentially because some employee of the rental company will have to fly from Italy to Poland and drive the car back.
Yeah, this is one area where the EU basically doesn't function -- renting cars one way between European countries is extremely expensive. A few months ago, I did price some routes in western Europe and they were all possible, but none of them made any economic sense. If anyone could find a code that made it reasonable, it would be pretty fantastic.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:39 am

For Europe if more than 21 days, I recommend a buy-back leasing program from Renault, Citroen or Peugeot. Locations are around Europe with focus on France.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:40 pm

Google it -- it certainly says spouses are OK. I don't think you'll be asked to produce a marriage certificate.
The actual contract from the university page says eligible renters are faculty and staff, and that spouses may be additional drivers (no fee). This is different than the checkout page, from national, which only says "additional driver included" and says nothing about valid identification.

National has no one-way drop fee (a huge advantage over other companies), though the daily rate is allowed to increase on some university codes for one way rentals. Enterprise has low rates, but a hefty drop fee, and mileage.

I would like to know if the universities provide a subsidy to keep this contract rate, or if it is a part of the conference's perks for providing 'free' advertising to the Enterprise and National family. I have never considered using National before for my car rental needs because their locations are not as prevalent in my area than Enterprise. However, in order to avoid the Enterprise $350 drop fee, I may go out of my way to try National, if allowed.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:14 pm

So if a spouse isn't required to produce a marriage certificate , will the person renting using an alumni discount code be required to produce proof that they are an alum?

Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yeah, this is one area where the EU basically doesn't function -- renting cars one way between European countries is extremely expensive. A few months ago, I did price some routes in western Europe and they were all possible, but none of them made any economic sense. If anyone could find a code that made it reasonable, it would be pretty fantastic.
I did okay with a Sixt 1-week van rental one-way NCE-MUC. Something like 480 euros all in...I'd have to go back and look to see what the exact rate was. I considered this "okay" - certainly not in any way cheap, but reasonable. For 5 people and the weird mix of small and medium-sized towns we were visiting to visit family and friends, it was the best option.

But yeah, I priced a few other citypairs and they were off-the-charts expensive. Anything involving Italy...even to places close nearby like Slovenia, France, and Germany...was crazy-high.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:50 pm

has anyone had recent experience with the state of ohio National code: XZ38140?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I used it a few months ago, PHX - BUR for a week, no problems & it saved me about $600.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.