Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best one-way car rental discount codes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
fyi, used Avis A074800 (Citi Leisure Travel) saved me over half over on one way stay. Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:50 am

Booked a one-way from RDU to MSY using the Ohio code. Dropped the price from over $1200 to $172. The reservation says Level of Service Counter. I am an Emerald member. Should I call them to ask why no Emerald Aisle? Could it be because I had just updated my credit card info in my profile? I'm afraid if I call they will somehow cancel my res, or if I use the counter, they will ask for proof of eligibility. I will also be in a bit of a rush to get somewhere after my flight. Any advice?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
fyi, used Avis A074800 (Citi Leisure Travel) saved me over half over on one way stay. Thanks
Was it unlimited miles?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Was it unlimited miles?

Good question
Old Jan 19, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Was it unlimited miles?
I just tried it out for a booking ATL-TPA, no free miles included, 0.35/mi.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AS MHT
I just tried it out for a booking ATL-TPA, no free miles included, 0.35/mi.
The Ohio State rate?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:04 am

National has a link on their main page

Drive out of Florida - 1 way rentals from $9.95 day starting April 1st
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:24 pm

Hi all, has anyone tried using the Ohio State rental code (XZ38140) and been successful? I am driving to California from North Carolina one-way in a couple of months, and this code saved me *a ton* of money when I was looking up rates. I have read the horror stories if you're caught, and I am very concerned about this. Any help or advice you guys could share would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nctodc
Hi all, has anyone tried using the Ohio State rental code (XZ38140) and been successful? I am driving to California from North Carolina one-way in a couple of months, and this code saved me *a ton* of money when I was looking up rates. I have read the horror stories if you're caught, and I am very concerned about this. Any help or advice you guys could share would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!
Welcome to Flyertalk. This thread is not theoretical so, yes, people have used the Ohio State code and been successful. Like all the time.

If you are a newbie, though, I would have some concerns that something will go wrong. Perhaps in the way you will "present" yourself at the counter. The odds are still quite low, however. That said, once you actually pick up your car, the odds of anything going wrong are very, very small. Have a back-up rate at another agency just in case. BTW, I have never heard any "horror stories" associated with using National codes, except perhaps the rare case where the agent won't give you the vehicle at the reserved rate (quite rare, and not really "horrible").

Oh, and try not to smash up the car. If you don't book a rate that includes insurance, even that wouldn't likely be much of a problem either, though.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Welcome to Flyertalk. This thread is not theoretical so, yes, people have used the Ohio State code and been successful. Like all the time.

If you are a newbie, though, I would have some concerns that something will go wrong. Perhaps in the way you will "present" yourself at the counter. The odds are still quite low, however. That said, once you actually pick up your car, the odds of anything going wrong are very, very small. Have a back-up rate at another agency just in case. BTW, I have never heard any "horror stories" associated with using National codes, except perhaps the rare case where the agent won't give you the vehicle at the reserved rate (quite rare, and not really "horrible").

Oh, and try not to smash up the car. If you don't book a rate that includes insurance, even that wouldn't likely be much of a problem either, though.
Thank you for the welcome, iahphx! I travel quite frequently, and I look forward to participating more on this great board. I really appreciate you easing my worry with your insight and suggestions. What concerned me most was being 'carded' for the rate by a National employee at the time of check-in and if anyone on here had that happen to them when using this code. However, like you said, having a back up plan at another agency is a good idea just in case. Thanks again for your response!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you for the welcome, iahphx! I travel quite frequently, and I look forward to participating more on this great board. I really appreciate you easing my worry with your insight and suggestions. What concerned me most was being 'carded' for the rate by a National employee at the time of check-in and if anyone on here had that happen to them when using this code. However, like you said, having a back up plan at another agency is a good idea just in case. Thanks again for your response!
Let us know how it goes. I'm guessing you'll have a success story to report.

My only concern in your case is that your rental might raise a "red flag" in that it's unusual as a "transcon." Most of my one-way rentals are things like San Fransisco to LA, or San Antonio to Austin: logical run-of-the-mill rentals, but ones that are usually astronomically priced if you don't use one of these codes. I would think a transcon rental MIGHT draw more scrutiny, but I still think it's improbable you'll have trouble. If you don't already have one, I would suggest getting an Emerald Aisle membership before your rental to attract less scrutiny and, probably, less need for interaction with an agent.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I just used the OS rate last month for one week rental from PHX to LAX with no problems, and it save me $600 from the rates I was getting from Costco & carrentalsavers.com, both of which are usually pretty good.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:16 pm

Just used the OS code last month with no problem. Picked a car from the Aisle, routine checkout at the gate, and on my way. Routine return at destination. Just got credit card bill, no surprises.

Come to think of it, there was one problem, unrelated to the code. My flight was cancelled and I rerouted to another city on my route. I had to cancel my original res and rebook a new one (with the OS code, of course). This new res was more expensive as a last minute booking, though still nowhere near the "retail" price.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:57 am

All,

Thanks for the info on the one-way codes. I have now booked a set of one-ways with the Avis codes.

Also, does anyone have codes for Enterprise and Alamo?

Lastly, here is a better code for Budget. I've used it for years: Y937800

Steve
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Caught and asked for ID for the Ohio code today. Fortunately I'm eligible for the WI code and said oops, wrong Big 10 code!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.