Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best one-way car rental discount codes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Are there any special codes for US-Canada one-way rentals?

Also when using the Big 10/Ohio State id's won't the agents realize that something is amiss when they see the non-OH drivers license?

Lastly, as a suggestion, I think it might be good if the OP could mention which the type of the code. For example the avis codes are mostly the AWD. I tried all the national codes by putting them in the discount code, until I saw the post in page 2 of someone who put it in the contract ID.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Are there any special codes for US-Canada one-way rentals?

Also when using the Big 10/Ohio State id's won't the agents realize that something is amiss when they see the non-OH drivers license?

Lastly, as a suggestion, I think it might be good if the OP could mention which the type of the code. For example the avis codes are mostly the AWD. I tried all the national codes by putting them in the discount code, until I saw the post in page 2 of someone who put it in the contract ID.
Wow -- I didn't even know you COULD rent a car one-way from the USA to Canada? I see you can. At least with National, it looks like it's more expensive to go from Canada TO the US. This is a shame, because it eliminates another potential trick: fly TO Canada (very low airline taxes), and rent a car cross the border and fly home from the USA (to avoid the high aviation taxes in that direction). It would probably only make sense for a family.

I wouldn't worry about having an Ohio license for the Ohio State deal. Colleges have faculty/staff/students from all over. I can't imagine anyone behind a rental counter would even think of that. Be ready with a "Go Buckeyes" I suppose.

I guess I could include a primer on where to put the code. But if you're reading this thread, wouldn't you probably already know this?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
I wouldn't worry about having an Ohio license for the Ohio State deal. Colleges have faculty/staff/students from all over. I can't imagine anyone behind a rental counter would even think of that. Be ready with a "Go Buckeyes" I suppose.
I try to avoid to using codes I am not eligible for, but the regular rate on my DTW-YYZ rental is $400+ and the big ten brings it down to $100ish.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I try to avoid to using codes I am not eligible for, but the regular rate on my DTW-YYZ rental is $400+ and the big ten brings it down to $100ish.
It can obviously be an ethical dilemma. Sadly, when it comes to one-way rentals, if you don't use the code you often don't do the rental because it makes no economic sense. And then the rental company makes zero money. Presumably, the car rental companies have priced these code deals at a level that's still profitable to them. In that case, it's kind of a win-win for you to use a "questionable" code. This might explain why, in almost all instances, little is done to "police" these discounts.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Wow -- I didn't even know you COULD rent a car one-way from the USA to Canada? I see you can. At least with National, it looks like it's more expensive to go from Canada TO the US. This is a shame, because it eliminates another potential trick: fly TO Canada (very low airline taxes), and rent a car cross the border and fly home from the USA (to avoid the high aviation taxes in that direction). It would probably only make sense for a family.
My usual trick when doing this is to split it into two rentals, and swap at the first location south of the border in the US. The last time I did this at BLI, the rental agent didn't even make me switch cars for the second rental contract - she didn't have to clean an incoming vehicle, and I didn't have to move all my junk. Everybody won.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It can obviously be an ethical dilemma. Sadly, when it comes to one-way rentals, if you don't use the code you often don't do the rental because it makes no economic sense. And then the rental company makes zero money. Presumably, the car rental companies have priced these code deals at a level that's still profitable to them. In that case, it's kind of a win-win for you to use a "questionable" code. This might explain why, in almost all instances, little is done to "police" these discounts.
Just playing devil's advocate, in this case, why don't they just make the rentals a little more cheaper? I'm thinking they wanted to get a lot of business from one company and so made a special deal. Those who are not eligible would pay full price.

And I saw a incident in the National forum of what could happen if they do police it.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Majikow
Awesome thread. Thanks all who contributed.

I just tried getting a one-way rental from AUS to SAT for 2 days and it was like $300-400. Ridiculous. I used the Priceline code on Avis.com and got it to $69. I am a little afraid that they may give me grief when I get there about the drop fee of $200, so just in case I might make a reservation with National jst in case (used the Car&Driver code with the $10 Ent book coupon code and got it to $119).

Has anyone ever had an issue with Avis and using the Priceline code?

I was also able to get a total of $99 with no drop fee through Avis with the BJ's wholesale (which I am a member of) discount code (A415900).
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Decabea --

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're uncertain whether there would be an additional drop charge with Avis using the Priceline code. This CAN be a problem with Avis's one way rates: they sometimes have drop charges AND mileage fees. So you want to look carefully at the quote. That said, if there's no drop fee listed, it is highly unlikely they will charge you one.

That said, why don't you try the National "Big Ten" code? I usually have an AUS-SAT one way rental at least once a year and, you are correct, the published rates are absolutely mind-boggling. I have found the "Big Ten" rate to be extremely reasonable in that market, however. Last time, I think I paid something in the $30s.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:45 am

I just booked a one-way rental from Hertz for 5 days from LGA-FLL next week at $11.99 a day! Cheaper than renting and returning at the same location at either LGA or FLL. Didn't have to enter any codes. I tried to see if there would be a separate drop fee by changing it to the other direction, and the base rate went up to $200 a day. So there is no drop fee. Hertz really wants the cars to migrate south for the winter.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nd2010
I just booked a one-way rental from Hertz for 5 days from LGA-FLL next week at $11.99 a day! Cheaper than renting and returning at the same location at either LGA or FLL. Didn't have to enter any codes. I tried to see if there would be a separate drop fee by changing it to the other direction, and the base rate went up to $200 a day. So there is no drop fee. Hertz really wants the cars to migrate south for the winter.
Yeah, that's the pretty standard "Florida drive-in" rate for this time of year, reversed in spring. Obviously, a fantastic one-way deal if your travel plans are taking you that way. Really only good for moving lots of people and/or stuff or taking an Eastern seaboard jaunt, though -- since you're looking at a loooong drive and about $150 in gas.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by BP0817
Thank you for posting these one way codes. The Big 10 rate was the best deal. I don't have an ID card so I hope it works! Thanks again!
Wow, this code is really great. It took a one day rental from $195 to $30. That's just crazy.

I understand that it's possible to be asked for ID. My question is whether that could happen both at pick up and drop off. In other words, if I pick up the car without any questions about the code, am I all set, or do I still need to worry at the other end of the trip? Also, if they do ask for ID and I don't have it, could I just cancel the whole thing and walk away? I assume there are no penalties for doing that, but I just wanted to verify. Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lmagnott
Wow, this code is really great. It took a one day rental from $195 to $30. That's just crazy.

I understand that it's possible to be asked for ID. My question is whether that could happen both at pick up and drop off. In other words, if I pick up the car without any questions about the code, am I all set, or do I still need to worry at the other end of the trip? Also, if they do ask for ID and I don't have it, could I just cancel the whole thing and walk away? I assume there are no penalties for doing that, but I just wanted to verify. Thanks.
You will be fine. I'd go for the leisure rate so it has no insurance.

Most returns are done by a guy holding a device in the airport parking lot. I can't imagine you'd be bothered there. It's also hard for me to imagine you'd be bothered at the counter.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
The spread on the Ohio State/Big 10 code is incredible. I need a 12 day rental between ATL and LIT over Christmas/New Year's. The National price with my normal discount code is $2200; the Ohio State code makes it $594. So tempting, but not going to chance it. Just makes me think there has to be another code that I might qualify for out there with a similar effect?

As of now I am breaking my rental into 3 different reservations with Avis (ATL pickup with local ATL station return; local ATL station - local LIT station; and local LIT-LIT return) for about $850 total. But still searching because I would really like to avoid the hassle of the two local station swaps. And would prefer National so I can pick out a car from the Executive aisle for this long road trip.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Folks could use some advice and I have search this but not found my answer.

Need a passenger van for 6 ppl + luggage to go from Krakow, PL to Split Croatia.

Tried Sixt and Auto Europe (along with all the U.S. majors Avis, Hertz ect..) but either #1 don't have the size or #2 do not offer 1 way rentals into Croatia.

Any other website suggestions?

Thanks for your help...
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dbuckho
The spread on the Ohio State/Big 10 code is incredible. I need a 12 day rental between ATL and LIT over Christmas/New Year's. The National price with my normal discount code is $2200; the Ohio State code makes it $594. So tempting, but not going to chance it. Just makes me think there has to be another code that I might qualify for out there with a similar effect?

As of now I am breaking my rental into 3 different reservations with Avis (ATL pickup with local ATL station return; local ATL station - local LIT station; and local LIT-LIT return) for about $850 total. But still searching because I would really like to avoid the hassle of the two local station swaps. And would prefer National so I can pick out a car from the Executive aisle for this long road trip.
It's not much of a "chance" to book the National rate. Just do it. The odds that you'll have a problem -- especially if you pick up from the Emerald Aisle -- are trivial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.