best one-way car rental discount codes

Old Oct 25, 12, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One-way rentals in Florida are usually much cheaper than elsewhere in the USA (sometimes the same price as "regular" rentals), but I encountered high prices on recent rentals from TPA to MCO and between MIA and FLL. For some reason, in Florida, the AMEX "friends and family" rate seems to produce the best rate of the National codes -- about $25 for a midsize on the Emerald Aisle (which is likely to be better than a midsize).

If you rent for 2 days including a Saturday night, you can attach Coupon ND8435DJD for another $10 off -- making it a pretty good deal for a weekend rental. There are probably other coupons that are better, especially for longer rentals.
Old Nov 19, 12, 2:40 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
One-way rentals in Florida are usually much cheaper than elsewhere in the USA (sometimes the same price as "regular" rentals), but I encountered high prices on recent rentals from TPA to MCO and between MIA and FLL. For some reason, in Florida, the AMEX "friends and family" rate seems to produce the best rate of the National codes -- about $25 for a midsize on the Emerald Aisle (which is likely to be better than a midsize).

If you rent for 2 days including a Saturday night, you can attach Coupon ND8435DJD for another $10 off -- making it a pretty good deal for a weekend rental. There are probably other coupons that are better, especially for longer rentals.
What would you suggest for a code for MIA to MCO, Dec. 13 - Jan. 1, 2013, in a full size SUV or a luxury SUV? I have been seeing that i am better of renting for a month than under 3 weeks.... Is it OK to drop it off early?
Old Nov 19, 12, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueline7 View Post
What would you suggest for a code for MIA to MCO, Dec. 13 - Jan. 1, 2013, in a full size SUV or a luxury SUV? I have been seeing that i am better of renting for a month than under 3 weeks.... Is it OK to drop it off early?
Probably not OK to drop off early.

I'd recommend you read through the travelbuzz thread I started on foreigners renting cars in the USA. I bet you'll find something cheaper with this link.

http://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/carhire
Old Nov 19, 12, 6:32 pm

NATIONAL

5000491 (Big 10 rate)
8572158 (Visa -- employees?)
XVC1093 (Car & Driver)
5125601 (AMEX friends & family)
My gosh, I can't believe the differences in rates for one-way rentals using the coupon codes. I've always used the IAPA rate for National, but that doesn't knock a single nickel off the standard one-way rate. The Big 10 and Car & Driver rates are half or less than the standard rates quoted for pick-up on 11/30 at PDX, dropping off at SFO 12/6, that I did as a test for a friend visiting after Thanksgiving.

Thanks for posting these!
Old Nov 19, 12, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AeroWesty View Post
My gosh, I can't believe the differences in rates for one-way rentals using the coupon codes. I've always used the IAPA rate for National, but that doesn't knock a single nickel off the standard one-way rate. The Big 10 and Car & Driver rates are half or less than the standard rates quoted for pick-up on 11/30 at PDX, dropping off at SFO 12/6, that I did as a test for a friend visiting after Thanksgiving.

Thanks for posting these!
Yeah, given the potential savings I'm always surprised this topic doesn't attract more attention.

One last tip: right before your trip, check the "regular" rates again -- especially in leisure destinations. Nine times out of ten those rates will still be ridiculous. But I just has a one-way rental out of LAS where the published rates (less my Emerald Club discount and a coupon) were lower than the "secret" codes.

And that's the one truism on car rentals: no discount strategy works best every time.
Old Nov 19, 12, 9:11 pm

I just has a one-way rental out of LAS where the published rates (less my Emerald Club discount and a coupon) were lower than the "secret" codes.
In the days before the interwebs, when last-minute tickets between SFO and LAX were still cheap, I'd check the travel section of the classifieds. In the summer months, there always seemed to be a car rental agency willing to give you a car for four days, including a free tank of gas, if you would just pick it up at SFO and return it to LAX for them.

You got a free car for the weekend in L.A., a free drive down, and only had to pay local expenses plus buy a cheap one-way flight home. They'd even let you park your car in their rental lot for free over the weekend. Sweet deal. Did that many times with Hertz.

For some reason, people seem to like to start their vacations in L.A., then drop the rental in S.F. or Vegas. They need to get the cars back somehow, and it costs them real dollars to have them trucked back in.
Old Dec 2, 12, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Tried the Hertz code for xmas week and it came back with a pre-paid rate that was half of anything else... went to book, and it told me the code was ineligible. After 30 minutes of trying to recreate, I have been unable to do so. Unfortunately, none of the other codes give me any better rate for this week.
Old Dec 6, 12, 8:23 am

I feel a little dirty using the Big Ten code as an employee of an SEC school, LOL. Oh well it is nearly $100 cheaper than any rate out there! Thanks for this thread.
Old Dec 6, 12, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
I wonder if the B1G code will still be good when, you know, the entire freaking country becomes eligible to use it.

(Sorry, just a little bit irritated at the Maryland and Rutger additions and the multitude of future expansion rumors.)
Old Jan 8, 13, 6:14 pm

Is the National "Car and Driver" a code for Car and Driver readers? I don't want to use the Big 10 even the price difference is astounding (over $1100 without any code, $211 with Big 10 code. Wow). The National "Amex" code didn't provide a discount. The Car and Driver code provide a good discount, though, and I feel okay using it and not having to provide any ID.
Old Jan 11, 13, 3:41 pm

Bump for info on the Car and Driver discount.

I am getting $203 with the Big10 code and $291 witht he car and driver one.

Both are much better than the $640 from Avis (with Costco code).

The is for a one way from RDU to SJC, 5 day rental, all quotes are with unlimited miles.
Old Jan 12, 13, 7:52 pm

[QUOTE=iahphx;16372960]NATIONAL

5000491 (Big 10 rate)
/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. Just saved me $400 on a minivan we need for a one way trip.
Old Jan 21, 13, 11:29 am

Hotwire for One-ways

Has anyone tried Hotwire for one-way rentals? Hotwire always worries me a bit. Not sure if they hide mileage costs or one-way specific fees, but their price for a one way from Mesa, AZ to Albuquerque came back at $180. My Hertz price was $488.
Old Feb 13, 13, 6:19 am
scr

Programs: BAEC
Just want to give this thread a big thumbs up. The potential savings on a NYC-WAS rental seem quite impressive.

Also, should I have any trouble using the National's big 10 code? I read somewhere that it's applicable to friends and family..?
Old Feb 21, 13, 8:47 am

My question is if you use any code that will rent your car under a contract you are not eligible for and you get into an accident, isn't it likely that your CC and Auto Insurer would refuse to pay the claim?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: