best one-way car rental discount codes

Reply

Old Apr 16, 15, 6:42 am
  #151  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,253
Originally Posted by marcin.m View Post
I will be picking up my car in Washington Dulles Airport.
I am Emerald Club member - I used to rent a card from JFK to SFO two years ago with National already.
I will doouble check other codes I have found around, but I don't think any will beat Ohio or Oregon discount.
Marcin
As an Emerald Club member renting at a airport, I think your odds of "pulling this off" are quite good. But I'd still have a back-up plan, given that everything seems to go wrong with travel if you lose your transport.
iahphx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 15, 7:40 am
  #152  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 13
one more question:
I have found a site with many NA coupons ID's on SlickDeals
I tried all of them and in m particular case I found those ones below working(they did drop the price to 590-740 USD for rental from IAD to LAX 06/24-07/16 for standard ord mid-size).

Last edited by marcin.m; Jun 12, 16 at 3:38 am
marcin.m is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 15, 9:10 am
  #153  
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus]; SPG Lifetime Plat (and now MR Plat); HY whatever-ist..
Posts: 11,866
marcin.m, of the codes you listed, the ones least dangerous to use are the ones for which you meet the qualifications.

FlyerTalk Ruies disallow supporting, encouraging or promoting fraud on travel programs. See FT Rule 15. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Ocn Vw 1K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 15, 11:52 am
  #154  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,253
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K View Post
marcin.m, of the codes you listed, the ones least dangerous to use are the ones for which you meet the qualifications.

FlyerTalk Ruies disallow supporting, encouraging or promoting fraud on travel programs. See FT Rule 15. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Yeah, this is kind of the rub on one-way car rentals. If you play strictly by the rules, most one-way USA (but not foreign) car rentals are uneconomical and you don't do them. This is a lose-lose for both the customer (worse vacation) and the car rental agency (no revenue). Certain car rental codes DO make such trips plausible. Presumably, the agency doesn't lose money on the deal or they wouldn't have offered the contract rate in the first place. Indeed, for many, many years, the rental agencies generally looked the other way on rate codes -- much like some hotel chains currently don't put any real restrictions on supposedly-limited "friends and family" rates.

Lately, though, the rental agencies have made half-hearted (and sometimes greater) efforts to police usage of their codes. At the same time, they don't offer a viable alternative. Like some one-way rentals with a code go for $35/day, while a publicly available rate can be $200/day. It's a sucky situation for everyone, and I personally can't support a holier-than-thou approach which is both unrealistic and lose-lose for everyone.

BTW, those of us who are USA frequent travelers sometimes have an alternative to use our car rental program points (where one-way rates are much more affordable and logical -- you pay a premium but not a crazy one). Many travelers, though, do not have this alternative.

Last edited by iahphx; Apr 16, 15 at 11:57 am
iahphx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 15, 1:06 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 13
I travel few times a year between C2, Asia, USA or South America. Have some FF points to spend, checked all of them with QR, BA, M&M, SU and none of them can't be spend on OW rentals . RT- YES , but one ways no - so that is why I am looking for all alternatives there are - specially that the dollar exchange rate is in last couple of months so high comparing to the last year(as I am doing US cross country trips each year).
M.
marcin.m is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 15, 2:17 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
With the ohio leisure code, you will not get rental credits. I learned this the hard way after 4 rentals... It basically cost me a free rental day. Since work reimburses my rental expenses, I'd rather get the other day. Any guidance on codes that still allow the rental credit?

Thanks!
padstack1978 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 15, 1:10 pm
  #157  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,253
Originally Posted by padstack1978 View Post
With the ohio leisure code, you will not get rental credits. I learned this the hard way after 4 rentals... It basically cost me a free rental day. Since work reimburses my rental expenses, I'd rather get the other day. Any guidance on codes that still allow the rental credit?

Thanks!
Really? It's rather hard to "audit" your Emerald reservations -- I find the National website quite baffling when it comes to tracking your award credits -- but I always seem to get the credits when I use the Ohio rate.

Regardless, if you're paying your own money, it probably wouldn't matter much anyway.

EDIT: The new Emerald Aisle website makes it easier to track your award credits. I looked at it and padstack seems to be correct: the last time I rented using the Ohio rate, I did not get the credit. That's interesting because last fall, I did get "One Two Free" promo credit for such a rental.

I guess this could matter at the margins but, realistically, a credit is worth about $10 and these codes almost always save you much, much more than that.

Last edited by iahphx; Apr 22, 15 at 6:33 pm
iahphx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 15, 8:34 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 1,635
I have not used my Emerald Aisle number for reservations, since if using an Ohio or Oregon code it seemed suspect. At small regional airports, I don't recall there being a "walk right out and get in the car" Emerald aisle, and believe you have to check with the counter anyway.

Any feedback on whether use of Emerald Club at a small airport would make any difference as it relates to not getting questioned?

Last edited by xooz; May 11, 15 at 8:39 pm
xooz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 15, 1:25 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Really? It's rather hard to "audit" your Emerald reservations -- I find the National website quite baffling when it comes to tracking your award credits -- but I always seem to get the credits when I use the Ohio rate.

Regardless, if you're paying your own money, it probably wouldn't matter much anyway.

EDIT: The new Emerald Aisle website makes it easier to track your award credits. I looked at it and padstack seems to be correct: the last time I rented using the Ohio rate, I did not get the credit. That's interesting because last fall, I did get "One Two Free" promo credit for such a rental.

I guess this could matter at the margins but, realistically, a credit is worth about $10 and these codes almost always save you much, much more than that.
I agree the savings are worth it when it's your own money. I mostly travel for work though and at least attempt to be a "company guy" and help the budget. I just have to go back to the Honeywell code...
padstack1978 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 15, 6:09 am
  #160  
336
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 726
Any non-US residents who have experience with these codes?

We re a group of 27 year olds looking to rent a 2000 miles one-way out of SEA.

Oregon State Uni code works well, and seems to match our travel profile...
336 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 15, 3:27 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 26
Is the Visa Canada National code for employees or anybody with a visa card?
L6Luckin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 15, 2:39 am
  #162  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: YYJ
Posts: 2,664
Originally Posted by L6Luckin View Post
Is the Visa Canada National code for employees or anybody with a visa card?
It could be for holders of VISA cards issued by National Bank. But that's just a guess.
sokolov is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 15, 3:22 pm
  #163  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Paradise
Posts: 798
Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
It could be for holders of VISA cards issued by National Bank. But that's just a guess.
Well my card is issued by Royal Bank. I have used the US Visa codes before and it seems once you have a Visa, that's all that matters.

So my Visa issued by a Canadian bank seems more than legit to me.
Yellowjj is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 15, 11:35 pm
  #164  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Posts: 9,616
Moving this to our Rental Car Discussion forum. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
JY1024 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 15, 6:56 pm
  #165  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Detroit
Programs: NWA, AC., SWA, AA.,UA, HH
Posts: 162
Trying to rent a one way car 4 people 4 large bags Zurich Airport to Passau Germany in July
Any suggestions??
Thanks
Jigger is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread