FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/religious-travelers-604/)
-   -   Ski accidents and Jehovah's Witnesses (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/religious-travelers/898807-ski-accidents-jehovahs-witnesses.html)

Alsacienne Dec 13, 2008 10:21 am

Ski accidents and Jehovah's Witnesses

A friend of mine on another board has been asking about what would happen as regards the Swiss authorities if a pupil who is a JW had an accident on a school skiing trip that he is proposing, because she would not be able to accept a blood transfusion as part of her treatment.

He wanted an answer to this as regards the enforceability of a 'no blood' treatment before he contacts her parents about the trip, and to who is allowed to have authority over the youngster's religious rights (s/he is under 16) in the case where the doctors/hospitals would insist on giving this person blood as part of actively treating an injury.

Is there anybody on this board who could shed some light on this situation that I could pass on to him? Thanks in advance for your help.

dimramon Jan 16, 2009 11:53 am

If he needs blood, they would give it to him, as far as I know.
I have seen this on more than one occasion in Europe: someone tells the doctor before they're having surgery that they are a JW and can't accept transfusions; the response from the doctor has always been: "If you need it, you will get it" ...

Alsacienne Jan 16, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks dimramon!

gdeluca Jan 16, 2009 4:52 pm

A lot of Jehovah's Witnesses carry medical cards that state no transfusion along with a phone number to call in case of emergency. They would also be able to call the local Kingdom Hall for assistance. I would hope medical authorities would respect this.

laxconnorw Nov 27, 2011 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Alsacienne (Post 10902212)
A friend of mine on another board has been asking about what would happen as regards the Swiss authorities if a pupil who is a JW had an accident on a school skiing trip that he is proposing, because she would not be able to accept a blood transfusion as part of her treatment.

He wanted an answer to this as regards the enforceability of a 'no blood' treatment before he contacts her parents about the trip, and to who is allowed to have authority over the youngster's religious rights (s/he is under 16) in the case where the doctors/hospitals would insist on giving this person blood as part of actively treating an injury.

Is there anybody on this board who could shed some light on this situation that I could pass on to him? Thanks in advance for your help.

As a person raised as a Jehovah's Witness, (and who left the religion at age 18), it is 'almost' hard to believe that the student's parents would allow her to go on a school trip - as Jehovah's Witnesses are not supposed to associate with anyone other than those of their faith - in social activities.

Their only contact with those of the 'world' is supposed to be at work, and school, (no extracurricular activities allowed).

joshwex90 Nov 29, 2011 2:45 am

Originally Posted by laxconnorw (Post 17521802)
As a person raised as a Jehovah's Witness, (and who left the religion at age 18), it is 'almost' hard to believe that the student's parents would allow her to go on a school trip - as Jehovah's Witnesses are not supposed to associate with anyone other than those of their faith - in social activities.

Their only contact with those of the 'world' is supposed to be at work, and school, (no extracurricular activities allowed).

And this is relevant to a thread that's nearly 2 years old :confused: