Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Finding a Catholic Mass anywhere in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2006, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum

For those Catholics who want to do their very best to observe the Third Commandment (known as the Fourth Commandment to Protestants) while travelling by attending Mass on Sundays (or Saturday evenings) and Holy Days, who want to be nourished by the Body of Christ and the Word of God on a weekday, or who need to find a priest to receive the sacrament of confession, this website is a good one to keep in mind.

https://secure.masstimes.org/np/clie...e.jsp?pageId=6

I often prefer going to confession to a priest I'll never see again!

If you discover a Mass location that is not on the list or needs to be updated, such as at a small airport chapel or national park mountaintop, I'm sure they'll appreciate a correction.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Oct 7, 2023 at 11:05 pm
Old Mar 3, 2006, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Perusing the site a bit, it looks like their primary input is from parishes. Some participate, some don't. But it's a start. The two biggest churches on Saipan are included, with the correct Mass times.

It's not clear that updates can be submitted for unverified entry by private travellers, perhaps for good reason. In that case, one should ask the pastor to include the information.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 9:46 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Another tip, ask your hotel concierge to find out. Sometimes local parishes will leave leaflets with information with them.

Heck, if you are attending a big conference that goes on a sunday as well, a lot of times the convention will have a list of churches preprinted with mass times, directions/distance, and contact information
Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Though far from complete coverage of the entire world, I have found that Rough Guides provide pretty accurate coverage of religious services in English, and for multiple demoninations too. I am a Catholic and have used them to find Catholic masses in Moscow, Paris, London (not too hard, I'll admit), Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The Mass Times website for the United States, in my experience, is excellent and I have used it to find masses in extremely obscure corners of the US and in the big cities.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:45 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium
For Spanish speakers www.misas.org is quite good and correct
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:01 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Casimir - where is the Rough Guide site?

I trid here - http://www.roughguides.com/default.html but had no luck.

TIA
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Husky Jim,

Sorry -- my post was ambiguous. I was referring to the actual, hard copy Rough Guides, which are travel guides. These are found at most bookstores and often at airport bookstores too. They do have a website, but obviously do not give all the information in their guides away for free.

If I were you, I'd go to my local Border's and check out the guide for the destination to see what they have re: religious services. Good luck, Casimir
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:47 am

Well, as a Filipino, all I have to do to find a church is to ask one of my countrymen when I run into them

However, the OP's tool was pretty useful, as I was a little worried about not being able to find a church in BKK. There's only one, but that usually makes things easier Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
I haven't checked the site yet but I really wish I saw this one before I left for Japan. Similar to what Solblanc said, if I need to find a Filipino community abroad, I just have to find the church.

BTW Solblanc, it's me Skyblade. Great to see you in FT!
Old Oct 7, 2023, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Perhaps those aware of Catholic Masses held at airport chapels could mention them here, and we could put them into a wikipost for this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.