Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Cruising for the Kosher traveller NOT kosher cruising

Old May 5, 2007, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid

I would like to take my extended family (about 10 people) on an Alaskan cruise
After much research I have come to the following conclusions:
Kosher cruises (Kosherica, Suite Life etc) are outrageously expensive starting at about $1800 pp a week vs $7-800 (or even less on some deals) for regular cruises
I realize that there are great costs entailed to doing a high class Kosher operation at sea but at the bottom line the difference to me is over $10,000

SO
Has anyone any experience with the pre packaged Kosher meals offered by most cruise lines? What are they like? Which line has the best etc?
My family is very easying going as pertains to food and many a family trip has been satisfied by trips to the local supermarket for milk and cheese and one LaBriute meal a day
The question really boils down to , which is more important- the food or the ship's activities and destination?

Ideally it would be great to have both but if I had to make the choice or you had to make the choice which would you do?
Old May 6, 2007, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I would post your question on www.cruisecritic.com under 'Ask a cruise question'. More likely to get an answer than here.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by badatz
I would like to take my extended family (about 10 people) on an Alaskan cruise
After much research I have come to the following conclusions:
Kosher cruises (Kosherica, Suite Life etc) are outrageously expensive starting at about $1800 pp a week vs $7-800 (or even less on some deals) for regular cruises
I realize that there are great costs entailed to doing a high class Kosher operation at sea but at the bottom line the difference to me is over $10,000

SO
Has anyone any experience with the pre packaged Kosher meals offered by most cruise lines? What are they like? Which line has the best etc?
My family is very easying going as pertains to food and many a family trip has been satisfied by trips to the local supermarket for milk and cheese and one LaBriute meal a day
The question really boils down to , which is more important- the food or the ship's activities and destination?

Ideally it would be great to have both but if I had to make the choice or you had to make the choice which would you do?

the best deal if possible would be to book the same Cruise as the Koshers are on but not via them. Thats if the line will still charge their reg price sand Not the infalted ones that Kosherica etc does. Most likely theres adeal in place where the Liner agrees not to book anyone that asks for Kosher and sends them to these Rip-off artists.

If not having a minyan isnt important then a reg Cruise can suffice. I dont think Kosherica will prevent a person from joining in the minyanin, but they do say that they wont let anyone who is Not on their program to participate in any of their activities on or off board.

Pick the Cruise taht Kos is running and contact the Line itself or a TA and see if they can book it and get you the reg Kosher food that would be offered
Old May 6, 2007, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
1. The reason I posted it here and not on cruisecritic.com is that I assumed that people here are more acquainted with the Kosher food offered by the various cruise lines
2. The idea of booking on the same cruise as Kosherica etc, never came to me and I have to admit it is a very good one. A daily, and Shabbat minyan and fellow like minded travellers is very important. I'll definately look into it

3. What still is missing is a review of the prepacked Kosher food for the regular cruiser. This would be greatly appreciated
Old May 6, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
The prepackaged food is pretty yucky. Maybe one half-step above a heated
(old-fashioned) coach class kosher meal. Much inferior to La Briute, for instance.

My mother, though, is always able to negotiate a much better solution for our
large (12 people or so) family cruises on Holland America. She emails and
then meets with the chef ahead of time, and works out them kashering a
burner, using some new pots, and doing things like baking fresh salmon with
herbs, or using boil-in-bags for rice/potatoes/eggs. Also, a lot of the
pastry kitchen is "kosher" to the extent that they use OU mixes and have
dedicated ovens/dishes. My sister/BIL are ultra-O and would not accept these
arrangements (and we'll see how that works out when they join us this
August), but the rest of us are modern-O and what I consider strictly kosher
(no unhechshered cheeses etc.) and it has worked well.

Sometimes my mom has had to bring (and be reimbursed for) things like
Miller cheeses for them to use; on other cruises the chef has agreed to
special-order these ingredients in advance.

Oh, and there is always an email exchange (every year! sometimes twice
a year! ) from someone in mgmt who says "oh we can't do that" but
then it
has always worked out for the past decade....

--LG
Old May 8, 2007, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by lg10
The prepackaged food is pretty yucky. Maybe one half-step above a heated
(old-fashioned) coach class kosher meal. Much inferior to La Briute, for instance.

My mother, though, is always able to negotiate a much better solution for our
large (12 people or so) family cruises on Holland America. She emails and
then meets with the chef ahead of time, and works out them kashering a
burner, using some new pots, and doing things like baking fresh salmon with
herbs, or using boil-in-bags for rice/potatoes/eggs. Also, a lot of the
pastry kitchen is "kosher" to the extent that they use OU mixes and have
dedicated ovens/dishes. My sister/BIL are ultra-O and would not accept these
arrangements (and we'll see how that works out when they join us this
August), but the rest of us are modern-O and what I consider strictly kosher
(no unhechshered cheeses etc.) and it has worked well.

Sometimes my mom has had to bring (and be reimbursed for) things like
Miller cheeses for them to use; on other cruises the chef has agreed to
special-order these ingredients in advance.

Oh, and there is always an email exchange (every year! sometimes twice
a year! ) from someone in mgmt who says "oh we can't do that" but
then it
has always worked out for the past decade....

--LG
I never understood why they need to specifically kasher the burner. After all, the burner gets very hot and never even touches the food. The fact that they create a specialized kosher environment is very good, I would never have expected that.
Old May 16, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
I never understood why they need to specifically kasher the burner. After all, the burner gets very hot and never even touches the food.
Cooties?

Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
The fact that they create a specialized kosher environment is very good, I would never have expected that.
Agreed -- this certainly seems like "above & beyond"...
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:54 pm

i've also done it on holland america, but not as well as LG's mother. they have a regular kosher menu, tho they want to know 24 hours ahead which frozen meal you'll be having. they were ok. lots of salad choices, and veggie, if that would work. also i asked one night for stamed asparagus and i got about a lb. of steamed asparagus in silver foil. that made me very happy. there was tons of lox and fresh fruit, acceptable-hechshered ice cram--even sugar-free options--.

i say, do like LG's mom and you'll get best service, but even going like i did, where it was just me, it worked ok. have a swell time.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Been over a decade for this thread so I guess it is time to refresh it.
I heard that Norwegian has better kosher food for the incidental traveler - those not traveling with Kosherica or AACI.
Can any cruise mavens in the past 2-3 years pipe in with insights?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.