Good Friday flying

Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
Good Friday flying

I'll be flying this year on Good Friday, from ORD-HKG. Being Catholic, I'm not supposed to eat meat this day.

If it were you, would you refrain from meat the entire flight, or would there be a point where Friday ends and Saturday begins for you and you can consume meat?

I'm likely going to abstain for the duration of the flight, but I'm looking to see what others would do.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
I would do whatever you feel is right. I'm not sure what a priest would say. I would probably abstain from meat the entire flight--I'm sure you can pre-order a vegetarian option. Then again, if you do end up eating meat b/c you are ridiculously hungry, and don't really have another option, that would be OK with me, personally.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I'm not Catholic, but in terms of keeping track of date/time, I'd say Friday ends and Saturday begins when you cross the International Date Line in mid-Pacific, which you should be able to tell from the flight map. It could happen earlier if you leave ORD late enough on Friday, but if you're on the UA non-stop I don't think that would apply without a lot of nit-picking calculation to figure out what time zone you're over - and you don't sound like you're into that or want to be.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:49 pm

I think that's a silly question to ask the public. Are you asking us for permission? Because it kinda seems like it. You can do whatever you want to, and whatever feels right for you. I guess it depends on how strongly you believe in this 'no eating meat' thing and how you think it will impact your relationship w God. But honestly, I don't think God will love you any less if you eat meat.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:26 pm

Programs: hardly any
Keep an eye on your watch...

What you could do, UALfromMSN, is to carefully set your watch upon departure from ORD. That will mean that your watch is on Central Daylight Time.

You could then keep "Chicago" time on your watch until midnight Friday going into Saturday. That would then be the point in time when you could properly indulge in a meat meal. Or alternatively, as has already been suggested, you could simply request in advance a vegetarian meal from the airline.

Whichever you chose, enjoy the flight and keep us posted afterwards on how things went for you.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I pointed a friend of mine, a sincerely devout Catholic and occasional FTer, at this thread. He said that, since you're told to set your watch to destination time on departure and it would already be Saturday in Hong Kong, you're OK with meat any time. (He may have said it tongue in cheek, of course.)

In the final analysis, though, I agree with world_citizen. Do what you're personally comfortable with. I don't think the founders of the church, or those who came later and codified* things, had this concern in mind.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA, NW
There's still time to order a vegetarian meal. I don't see the problem.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Gold, Marriot Silver
Although my response is a little bit late, perhaps consider fasting another day instead?
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:23 pm

While its too late this question in my (non-catholic) mind is an easy one. Maybe its ok maybe its not, however the cost of ordering and eating a vegetarian meail would just be a few minutes on the phone. Since most airline food sucks anyway your not missing out on much.

I keep (or atleast try) kosher, this is extreamly complex where its hard to determine what the best option is, I ususally side with beingsafe. However when the food is outstanding it can be hard when the kosherness of the food is questionable.

As I said earler the airline will not serve a fine stake or anything of the sorts, so just stick with the veggies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.