FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/religious-travelers-604/)
-   -   kosher food in dubai (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/religious-travelers/667081-kosher-food-dubai.html)

mschare Mar 3, 2007 9:21 pm

kosher food in dubai

I will be traveling to Dubai, for a work related activity. I am a religious Jew. does anybody have an suggestions with regards to food or anything else I need to know about? What food can I find there? What food can I take? What about traveling and Davening? Thanks

Landing Gear Mar 3, 2007 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by mschare (Post 7335085)
I will be traveling to Dubai, for a work related activity. I am a religious Jew. does anybody have an suggestions with regards to food or anything else I need to know about? What food can I find there? What food can I take? What about traveling and Davening? Thanks

Welcome to Flyer Talk.

I have a better question for you. Forget the food. Do they ask you your religion on their immigration forms?

bhd87 Mar 3, 2007 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear (Post 7335401)
Welcome to Flyer Talk.

I have a better question for you. Forget the food. Do they ask you your religion on their immigration forms?

What does that matter? :confused:

Jews are freely allowed to travel in Dubai...

shawbridge Mar 3, 2007 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by mschare (Post 7335085)

I think you are going to have a hard time finding kosher restaurants there. I know that Halal is different from Kashrut, so meat is likely to be out. If your religious practices allow you to become a vegetarian in restaurants, you will have no problem. [Although I do not observe kashrut, most of my relatives become vegetarian when traveling if they don't find kosher restaurants and assume, I guess, that the hot water of dishwashers does the trick]. If not, there are clearly grocery stores around.

The immigration folks do not ask about religion. Israelis do business there, though under non-Israeli passports, but people know they are Israelis.

apirchik Mar 4, 2007 12:58 am

Originally Posted by bhd87 (Post 7335456)
What does that matter? :confused:

Jews are freely allowed to travel in Dubai...

Yes they are, but since there is no Jewish community there, one Jewish traveller here and there will not attract businesses to go Kosher.

craz Mar 4, 2007 8:39 am

Originally Posted by shawbridge (Post 7335526)
[Although I do not observe kashrut, most of my relatives become vegetarian when traveling if they don't find kosher restaurants and assume, I guess, that the hot water of dishwashers does the trick].

Actually the 'hot water' makes it alot Worse

bhd87 Mar 4, 2007 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by apirchik (Post 7335738)
Yes they are, but since there is no Jewish community there, one Jewish traveller here and there will not attract businesses to go Kosher.

I was responding to Landing Gear's remark about whether immigration ask ones religous affiliaton. I did not see how that was relevant to the OP's question.

The OP also never stated he was Israeli, but is a religous Jew. There are plenty of Jews doing business in Dubai. One example, the 1539 room Atlantis is a joint venture between the Government of Dubai and a Jew.. http://www.atlantisthepalm.com/movie.html.

Landing Gear Mar 4, 2007 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by bhd87 (Post 7339191)
I was responding to Landing Gear's remark about whether immigration ask ones religous affiliaton. I did not see how that was relevant to the OP's question.

The OP also never stated he was Israeli, but is a religous Jew. There are plenty of Jews doing business in Dubai. One example, the 1539 room Atlantis is a joint venture between the Government of Dubai and a Jew.. http://www.atlantisthepalm.com/movie.html.

Are there no longer any Arab countries which bar Jews from entry? Since there certainly were in the past, my question is not as dumb as you folks make it out to be.

The tone of some of these post suggests that OP should be looking for Chabad of Qatar. :D

UncleDude Mar 4, 2007 6:32 pm

The Metropolitan Dubai offers Kosher Food in its Restaurants.

http://www.worldhotels.com/united_ar...ng_dxbmet.html

After all is was originally built almost 30 years ago by Grand Met whos founder was Jewish.

bhd87 Mar 4, 2007 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear (Post 7339624)
Are there no longer any Arab countries which bar Jews from entry? Since there certainly were in the past, my question is not as dumb as you folks make it out to be.

I think Saudi Arabia does not allow American tourists? :confused:

mlbcard Mar 4, 2007 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by bhd87 (Post 7340733)
I think Saudi Arabia does not allow American tourists? :confused:

According to the department of state, American tourists (or any tourists for that matter) are allowed, but must be part of a tour group.

bhd87 Mar 4, 2007 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by mlbcard (Post 7340910)
According to the department of state, American tourists (or any tourists for that matter) are allowed, but must be part of a tour group.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mlbcard Mar 5, 2007 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by bhd87 (Post 7340953)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean by that, but there are a lot of countries that require this.

GUWonder Mar 5, 2007 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by bhd87 (Post 7339191)
I was responding to Landing Gear's remark about whether immigration ask ones religous affiliaton.

DXB immigration doesn't care if someone's religious affiliation means keeping kosher or not.

Also, The UAE's neighbor Saudi Arabia does have tourists and is preparing for an expansion of the tourism industry there.

bhd87 Mar 5, 2007 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 7347952)
DXB immigration doesn't care if someone's religious affiliation means keeping kosher or not.

Also, The UAE's neighbor Saudi Arabia does have tourists and is preparing for an expansion of the tourism industry there.

"Unlike other countries of the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council -- Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and the Sultanate of Oman), Saudi Arabia does not issue tourist visas nor is it possible for a hotel to sponsor a visitor."

Doesnt seem like the easiest place to travel to.:confused: :rolleyes:

From most of what I have read, the only visas (other then for Hajj, etc) are "business visas".