kosher food in dubai

Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by bhd87
"Unlike other countries of the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council -- Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and the Sultanate of Oman), Saudi Arabia does not issue tourist visas nor is it possible for a hotel to sponsor a visitor."
I'm not sure where you got that from (if you're going to quote something, please give a source). Here's what the US department of state consular information sheet says:
Visas are issued for business and work, to visit close relatives, and for transit and religious visits. Visas for tourism are issued only for approved tour groups following organized itineraries.
I'm not saying it's an easy place to travel, I'm just correcting your statement that they don't let American tourists in.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by mlbcard
I'm not sure where you got that from (if you're going to quote something, please give a source). Here's what the US department of state consular information sheet says:

I'm not saying it's an easy place to travel, I'm just correcting your statement that they don't let American tourists in.
So they let American tourists in, but only on organized itineraries in groups...
How many companies organize trips to Saudi Arabia? How easy is it for them to obtain visas for tourists?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:21 am

I'm not sure why you're getting upset about this, all I want to say is that they do let American tourists in (after all their our allies, right ) and I know people who have been there only for tourist purposes. Since I'm not planning on going there anytime soon, I haven't actually gone through the process or researched it in depth, but I'm assuming you haven't either (I just looked on the Saudi Arabian Airline website and they listed a few based in the US and many others in other countries - there's probably more not associated with the airline).

So, if you want to bash on Saudi Arabia, not letting in American tourists is not the place to start - they've got much worse problems (which is even more off topic for this thread).
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
(I just looked on the Saudi Arabian Airline website and they listed a few based in the US and many others in other countries - there's probably more not associated with the airline).
FWIW : Most, if not all, tour groups for non-Muslims are organized by Saudi Arabian Airlines
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:52 pm

So, if you want to bash on Saudi Arabia, not letting in American tourists is not the place to start - they've got much worse problems (which is even more off topic for this thread).
Yeah, it is off topic. Sorry for making you think I want to "bash" Saudi Arabia.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:50 pm

Yeah, sorry that this got a little out of hand.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
BACK ON TOPIC!!!

I can let you into a little secret. There is a kosher restaurant / meat in Dubai *Technically*.

The restaurant chain is called Meat & Wine Co. and I know the owner. When they opened up their Israeli chain they wanted to have a certain type of kosher meat imported to serve in the restaurant. For some reason the Israeli government refused to give them a license for that type of mean and therefore were unable to serve it in the Israeli restaurant.

Well after securing this rare meat, they didn't want to miss the opportunity of selling it…so…they diverted the contract to what was the new opening of their Dubai restaurant.

It’s still being served today!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:45 am

Back to the OP - I have been to Dubai as an Orthodox Jew. You can buy quite a few OU produts in the supermarke. I have heard that people have asked in the BBQ fish restaurants (eg used to be one in the Le Meridien) for a kosher fish to be double wrapped in foil and barbequed - and the staff were quite familiar with the request.
I had no problem with bringing in Tefilin or kosher food. You may want to remove any evidence of Israel from food you're bringing in to make it a bit easier.
If you want to get a KSML on the plane you need to choose carefully. Emirates don't offer it AFAIK, and some European airlines won't give you from DXB (eg BA). SQ claim they will.

Also, Israelis do go there occasionally also on Israeli passports, under an arrangement with the Govt. Visa is picked up on arrival and you have to travel on Emirates. This is mostly for the diamond trade...
Old Mar 23, 2007, 5:13 am

Kosher in Dubai

Hi all,

I've been to Dubai a few times and I can tell you from first hand experience they don't care about your religion. My son's name is Israel Moshe on his passport (and in real life) and the woman at passport control looked at him, smiled and said "welcome." Many Israelis do business in Dubai and even have offices there. Now to answer your question about kosher food. There is a well known veg. Indian restaurant chain with I think 4 restaurants in Dubai, Saravana Bahwan (IIRC) and you can look at their web site. I have been to several of their restaurants, asked questions and even tried to "encourage" some of the employees to bring me non veg food, to no avail. I am not giving them a kashrut certificate, but I activley have tried to find problems in their vegetarianisim and have not been able to. Another note, all of their pots we said to be purchased new, because Bhramins (the highest caste of Indians) will not eat from pots that have ever been used for non veg. They have no "kashering" in their belief system.

If you have Israel stamped in your passport you should be ok as I know a few who have gone and not had any problem. However if you have (or can get) a second passport without Israel, I would use that. The Israelis working in Dubai either go home for the weekend or aren't interested enough to put together a minyan, but I suspect that is just a matter of time.

Lastly, The hypermarkets all have Kosher food with the OU OK Manchester Beis Din etc right on the label. I don't know wht par of town you will be staying in but just about every mall has a hypermarket (food store) in it so you won't go hungry.

For those who don't want to rely on Saravana Bahwan, you can book a room at an apartment hotel (like the golden sands) kasher the kitchen -= or microwave and go from there. If you have any other questions I'll try and answer them.

BTW don't forget to go indoor skiing at Ski Dubai. They give lessons too. It's in the Mall of the Emirates.

Have fun
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:52 am

Programs: BA GGL; SPG Plat; HH Diamond
How about US passport holder whch clearly states "Born in Israel"

Originally Posted by Gary7
Hi all,

I've been to Dubai a few times and I can tell you from first hand experience they don't care about your religion. My son's name is Israel Moshe on his passport (and in real life) and the woman at passport control looked at him, smiled and said "welcome." Many Israelis do business in Dubai and even have offices there.

If you have Israel stamped in your passport you should be ok as I know a few who have gone and not had any problem. However if you have (or can get) a second passport without Israel, I would use that. The Israelis working in Dubai either go home for the weekend or aren't interested enough to put together a minyan, but I suspect that is just a matter of time.

Is this more of a problem? And if the US passport holder currently resides in Israel and holds an Israeli passport as well, should he deny the fact and enter as a US citizen?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:04 pm

Anyone have experience traveling to Dubai as a gay-jewish couple? I know of a few Jews who have gone and said its no problem, but I am still concerned to go their with my partner.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by arir

Is this more of a problem? And if the US passport holder currently resides in Israel and holds an Israeli passport as well, should he deny the fact and enter as a US citizen?
If he uses the US passport and mentions nothing explicit about Israeli citizenship, then he almost certainly will be allowed in. There

Originally Posted by jgoodm
Anyone have experience traveling to Dubai as a gay-jewish couple? I know of a few Jews who have gone and said its no problem, but I am still concerned to go their with my partner.
Usually it's not a problem; unless you publicly identify the sexual orientation or are publicly caught in a prohibited act it should not be a problem. From a practical perspective, if the room has "two beds" you might be be better off to plan around potential encounters with some overzealous government official or homophobe at the hotel once already cleared by immigration officials.
Old May 10, 2008, 6:48 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
Actually, I think that there's a large Iranian Jewish expat community in Dubai. Don't know if they belong to the same sect as State of Israel Jews, but I assume they also eat Kosher.....
So long as you're not visibly gay, then I don't think there'd be a problem. Also, i bet loads of same-sex share the same room when travelling (and they're usually straight).
Old May 11, 2008, 7:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by directorguy_
Actually, I think that there's a large Iranian Jewish expat community in Dubai. Don't know if they belong to the same sect as State of Israel Jews, but I assume they also eat Kosher.....
So long as you're not visibly gay, then I don't think there'd be a problem. Also, i bet loads of same-sex share the same room when travelling (and they're usually straight).
There is a Jewish Persian community in Dubai such that the proportion of Jewish Persians in Dubai seems a greater proportion of Persians than in Iran itself. Most Jewish Persian Israelis would practice their faith in the same way as Jewish Persian Iranians in Iran.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:52 am

as i know kosher food is vegeterian reciepe ..

all restaurent serve these reciepe like fatoosh ( lebenese food (salad +olive oil )

pic ,,

taboola ,,

pic

there are many other reciepe ..

what ever you want they will serve it for you ..

and to be more precies ask what is ingrediant ..?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.