Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yeah, something like that...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Talking Yeah, something like that...

I was waiting for my AA flight from JFK to St. Thomas early in the morning, about two weeks ago. Not wishing to disturb the passengers on the plane, I decided to find a quite place for prayer in the terminal. I asked a passing airport worker wearing a traditional Sikh turban if I can find a meditation room or some other quite corner nearby. He glanced at my yarmulke and, seemingly pleased by his own knowledge, asked: "Namaz"?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
It reminds me from a scene in a Harrison Ford movie where a young Amish boy, in a train station, walks up to a stranger dressed in black believing that they were co-religionists.

The stranger was carrying a copy of The Jerusalem Post.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
It reminds me from a scene in a Harrison Ford movie where a young Amish boy, in a train station, walks up to a stranger dressed in black believing that they were co-religionists.

The stranger was carrying a copy of The Jerusalem Post.
^

I must admit, however, that I'm a little surprised that you described Witness as a "Harrison Ford movie" and not as a Kelly McGillis movie.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This "misidentification" is not surprising.

1. Jewish Indians are generally identified as muslims by most Indians in India, especially as attire -- including the yarmulke-type head coverings -- and dietary restrictions were witnessed there as being basically the same over past 1200+ years. This "misidentification" became even more common in the past 300 years. Even today, that "confusion" remains except amongst the most local of locals and more educated persons.

2. People draw upon that which is familiar. And more recent immigrants to the US have had limited exposure except to that which is most familiar, including "home (or ancestral home) country" religious demographics where practicing jewish South Asians account for less than .01% of the population. (That said, this should be less true of ethnic South Asians residing in NYC or even St. Thomas than say in Trinidad/Tobago.)

3. A lot of Indians refer to non-sikh and non-hindu monotheists praying as "namaz", esp. when it involves a sort of out of the way place to pray.

In any event, it seems like the want-to-be-helpful sardar -- the only turban wearing airport employees I've seen at JFK T8 or T9 before have been sikhs -- has had requests for prayer areas before.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:59 am
Original Poster

GUWonder,

It was, perhaps, not surprising, but definitely amuzing

I doubt that Sikhs have had much (if any) contact with Bene Israel in India, and of the five or six thousand of those still living there very few are still traditional. We are actually very good friends with the rabbi of this community in Bombai and Thane.

But there are many, many Jews passing JFK daily... So I wonder now if the guy thinks they are all Muslims, or just refers to their prayers as 'namaz', as you suggested.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Next time at JFK and coming across him -- there are not many male sikhs (of the non-"mona" variety) working T8/T9 to my knowledge -- someone could ask him to get more clarity on the matter.

By chance, did this fellow in T8/T9 speak with a foreign accent of the type you would associate with India? Once he's spent some more time at JFK, sooner or later he may learn a bit more about religious distinctions or languages (if he has not already and just finds it more natural to speak this variety of "Hinglish"). I've heard Indians and Pakistanis refer to prayers as "namaz" when speaking English, regardless of specific religious affiliation of the person praying; but for Hindu prayers, I am more likely to hear the term "puja" (or something of the sort) used than "namaz".

[Few people in India -- sikhs or otherwise -- have had contact with "Bharati Bene Israel" or any of the other "Bharatiya Yehhudis" since their population figures, even pre-emigration, would barely register 0.01% of India's population. (And even if demographic records were kept to that degree of accuracy on a "national" level, that local potentates had once classified jewish Indians as a sect of shia muslims would have left confused records in many quarters.)]
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Originally Posted by EugeneV
I was waiting for my AA flight from JFK to St. Thomas early in the morning, about two weeks ago. Not wishing to disturb the passengers on the plane, I decided to find a quite place for prayer in the terminal. I asked a passing airport worker wearing a traditional Sikh turban if I can find a meditation room or some other quite corner nearby. He glanced at my yarmulke and, seemingly pleased by his own knowledge, asked: "Namaz"?
In the end did he show you a place to pray in? I've prayed in many strange places over the years and it is always good to know suitable places around the world. The last time I was in JFK with some time to spare I walked to Term 4 ( which is quite a schlep) to the synagogue
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by badatz
In the end did he show you a place to pray in? I've prayed in many strange places over the years and it is always good to know suitable places around the world. The last time I was in JFK with some time to spare I walked to Term 4 ( which is quite a schlep) to the synagogue
No, but I found an empty gate. Yeah, terminal 4 is too far.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster
There was an almost exactly opposite episode in the Frisco Kid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.