Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Poll About Gideon Bibles in Hotel Rooms

Poll About Gideon Bibles in Hotel Rooms

Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by auntsandy24c
its very sad about the seeker friendly churchs. it is like they dont want the Bible in the church at all. it might makie the new comers feel guilty. whew maybe they have committed a sin and the Bible would show it up.
This is your first post ever in Flyertalk? Not a polite way to start by mocking the style of other churches.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by auntsandy24c
its very sad about the seeker friendly churchs. it is like they dont want the Bible in the church at all. it might makie the new comers feel guilty. whew maybe they have committed a sin and the Bible would show it up.
I don't think that is it at all. In my experience, it is more a function of logistics. I have never seen a situation where an extra bible or two isn't availableif someone needs it. However, when you are meeting in the basement of the Boys and Girls Club, there isn't exactly a rack on the back of the metal folding chair in front of you in which to store a few bibles and hymnals.

Any Christian church that "doesn't want the Bible in church at all," isn't really a Christian curch. A church without the word of God is simply a meeting of good samaritans.

Back OT. No, I don't bring the Gideon Bible with me, though I do read it on occassion in my room. Strangely, it always makes me miss my wife. I'm not sure what the connection is.

Welcome to FT.

Last edited by El Boocho; Dec 22, 2005 at 7:32 am
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:40 pm

i find that some people don't bring the bible because it's projected on the screen. my church is like that. i think they seem to think that because the word of God is projected on the screen, it negates bringing the bible, totally far from that. instead i think they should bring their bible even more to write down stuff or even bookmark the pages.

the gideon's bible makes me think of the gideon story. and i think my dad used to give them out in the old days when he travelled.

Originally Posted by El Boocho
I don't think that is it at all. In my experience, it is more a function of logistics. I have never seen a situation where an extra bible or two isn't availableif someone needs it. However, when you are meeting in the basement of the Boys and Girls Club, there isn't exactly a rack on the back of the metal folding chair in front of you in which to store a few bibles and hymnals.

Any Christian church that "doesn't want the Bible in church at all," isn't really a Christian curch. A church without the word of God is simply a meeting of good samaritans.

Back OT. No, I don't bring the Gideon Bible with me, though I do read it on occassion in my room. Strangely, it always makes me miss my wife. I'm not sure what the connection is.

Welcome to FT.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 7:33 am

This thread has been very interesting. I had no idea that screen presentations were used in church services.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:50 pm

guess it depends on the church, instead of using overhead projectors, we've gotten more sophisticated and now we use lcd projection systems
Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
This thread has been very interesting. I had no idea that screen presentations were used in church services.
If you are ever in LA on a Sunday night check out Mosaic. To me it was quite an experience. A bit on the loud side, but a lot goes into the "production". That being said, I didn't think it took anything away from the message. I've been told that they have a bunch of USC Fine Arts student as attendees and I think the students bring their expertise to the church.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by El Boocho
If you are ever in LA on a Sunday night check out Mosaic. To me it was quite an experience. A bit on the loud side, but a lot goes into the "production". That being said, I didn't think it took anything away from the message. I've been told that they have a bunch of USC Fine Arts student as attendees and I think the students bring their expertise to the church.

i think thats called developing your talents and putting it to good use. For Him and His glory, right? :P
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:17 am

As I mentioned, I've visited 100's of churches and find many different styles of service. Many may not have a Bible in the pews and many do.
I personally don't find the Mosaic style appealing, but I'm a lot older than those who do.
I can usually "get" something from most any church I visit and appreciate their ministry. I've got to admit that I was originally a bit "shaken" when I saw a young man take out a burger and eat it in Saddleback's church a little before service. Yet, who am I to judge?
Bringing the thread back on topic (although there are some interesting feedbacks here), I'm really glad that the Gideons do what they do. For me, a traveling life needs a "hit" of scripture to keep things in perspective.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum/UAPremier Gold/IC Platinum
You're not asked to take out your bible in a Catholic Church.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:47 am

We don't do that during Catholic services - Mass is a very ritualized affair, and parishioners aren't really supposed to bring Bibles to Church - that would be considered uppity. The priest will tell you all you need to know.

Last edited by anonplz; Dec 28, 2005 at 8:04 am
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by anonplz
We don't do that during Catholic services - Mass is a very ritualized affair, and parishioners aren't really supposed to bring Bibles to Church - that would be considered uppity. The priest will tell you all you need to know.
Uppity? I don't think I've seen you write that word before.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:19 am

Uppity? I don't think I've seen you write that word before.
I sometimes wonder (in jest) if the Vatican wouldn't be more comfortable with an illiterate laity.

EDIT: You're already familiar with their infamous Index of Forbidden Books.

Last edited by anonplz; Dec 28, 2005 at 8:34 am
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by anonplz
I sometimes wonder (in jest) if the Vatican wouldn't be more comfortable with an illiterate laity.
...like they were centuries ago? I've wondered that too, but not in jest. That printing press just changed everything for them.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:35 am

...like they were centuries ago? I've wondered that too, but not in jest.
see my edit i just made.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:37 am

...like they were centuries ago? I've wondered that too, but not in jest. That printing press just changed everything for them.
Wasn't Gutenberg excommunicated? If I recall correctly, he was.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.