Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Religious Trivia - Where is it located? Have you been there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:36 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

The church with the largest piped organ in the world?

Main Chapel, US Military Academy at West Point, NY

Yes, several times. ^
Old Dec 11, 2005, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Don't know about in the world, but the church with the largest pipe organ in Canada is Metropolitan United Church in Toronto.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 5:04 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by underpressure
The church with the largest piped organ in the world?

Main Chapel, US Military Academy at West Point, NY

Yes, several times. ^
http://theatreorgans.com/laird/top.pipe.organs.html lists underpressure's nomination after Los Angeles Congregational Church - largest church organ in the world according to them, and after St. Stephen's in Passau, German, - largest church organ outside the US) But they are rating by manuals, not pipes.

But it's an intersting list, and certainly not what I would have expected. Go Army!

So, The Lourdes of America is....

El Sanctuario de Chimayo, in New Mexico

I've been there twice, and the dirt dug the by the faithful from the chapel anteroom was miraculously replenished between visits. First visit the hole about about 2 feet deep, two years later about 6 inches. The miracle dirt fixed my broken finger, but it took about a year.

Last edited by lili; Dec 11, 2005 at 5:09 pm Reason: didn't make sense
Old Dec 11, 2005, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I've been to the Naval Academy Chapel hundreds of times, with its basement crypt bearing the earthly remains of John Paul Jones. The choir used to have "Coffee with John Paul Jones" after practice, before the services. There is a nice new Jewish Chapel at USNA between the 7th and 8th Wings of Bancroft Hall, the midshipmen's residence.

I once visited the awe-inspiring U.S. Air Force Academy chapel at Colorado Springs, designed by a famous Finnish architect, with its soaring modernistic spires. The Protestants get that worship space. The Catholics are downstairs, and the Jewish Chapel (much nicer) is in the basement, including stones from Jerusalem donated by the Israeli Defense Forces.

For some reason (including geographical propinquity), I can't bring myself to visit the spiritual home of the Black Nights of the Hudson. But I do win a wager almost every year on the Army-Navy game from a WooPoo alumni resident on Saipan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.