Wiki Posts
Search

Seeing the Pope in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by pati_b
We are going to Rome also in April. I am interested in staying in a convent when we are there and possibly also when we go t o Florence or Venice. Can you tell me where you stayed and how things were when you stayed there?
I had a private room, and the bathroom (also private) was down the hall (an entire wing of rooms). They served rolls and coffee/tea in the morning, and some type of sweet rolls on Sunday. You could even come back for lunch for an extra fee if you wanted to (did that one day--there was enough food to feed an army). You were given a door key when you checked in. I stayed at a Franciscan convent on Via Niccolo, which was a 7 minute walk to the front steps of St. Peters (it was along a back wall of Vatican City with a perfect view of the Dome). The last time I stayed there (must be 5 years ago now). I just sent them a U.S. check for $50 as a deposit a few months ahead, and they wrote back confirming the booking (they use the Vatican Bank and can deposit U.S. checks). I settled my bill in local currency on departure.

I found out about this particular convent through a travel guidebook, but since then have actually found out there is a book on convent and monastery accomodations in Italy called Bed and Blessings Italy. You might look for that at your library first (I wouldn't suggest buying it until you have a chance to look at it). My library can trade with others if they don't stock it. HERE is a review of it I found on line. I'd also look on the RickSteves web site as I think he has some material there on convent accomodations.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
HERE is another book on monastery accomodations that is mentioned on Rick Steves site.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 6:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Etihad Silver (bad move)
Vatican Tip

Before you travel make a call to your country's embassy to the Holy See. Very often the staff are incredibly helpful, and are very keen offer advice.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:59 pm

Programs: CO One Pass, Lifetime PC, 1/5 to 1M
US visitors can request tickets for the General Audience with the Pope held on Wednesday through the:

Bishops’ Office for U.S. Visitors to the Vatican
Via Dell’Umilta 30
00178 Roma, Italia
Tel. 011-39-06-69-0011
FAX: 011-39-06-679-1448
email: [email protected]

Tickets are usually picked up at the office, which is a block away from the Trevi Fountain, on Tuesday. The office is located at the Casa Santa Maria, the house for American priests doing graduate studies in Rome. Be sure to see the chapel, a hidden baroque gem in Rome.

For further infromation, including an email for the Scavi Tours, go to
http://www.pnac.org/general/visiting_vatican.htm
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Cupertino
US visitors can request tickets for the General Audience with the Pope held on Wednesday through the:

Bishops’ Office for U.S. Visitors to the Vatican
Via Dell’Umilta 30
00178 Roma, Italia
Tel. 011-39-06-69-0011
FAX: 011-39-06-679-1448
email: [email protected]

Tickets are usually picked up at the office, which is a block away from the Trevi Fountain, on Tuesday. The office is located at the Casa Santa Maria, the house for American priests doing graduate studies in Rome. Be sure to see the chapel, a hidden baroque gem in Rome.

For further infromation, including an email for the Scavi Tours, go to
http://www.pnac.org/general/visiting_vatican.htm
Cupertino,
Yes, that's the office where we picked up our tickets. They were lovely to me there. I arrived a bit early, not realizing that there were prescribed times for the ticket pickup, and because it was "cold" outside, they let me come in and sit in one of their parlors. It was very spare, and ancient feeling. And because of the historical feel alone, very comfortable.

The interior gardens were lovely and I would love to have spent more time there.

Incidentally, when we were in Rome 4 or so years ago for the elevation of some cardinals, we were invited to lunch at the American College (near the Vatican). While there we were invited to tour the rooftop patio which turned out to be the most magnificent, in-your-face view of St. Peter's dome. Not to mention other parts of the city. But picture a beautifully warm day with birds singing, and that incredible ediface as a backdrop.

Rita

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.