Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Forum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2005, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
New Forum

Welcome to the Religious Travelers' Forum!
Old Nov 22, 2005, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for having me!

Has a moderator been assigned to this forum yet?
Old Nov 22, 2005, 3:58 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

We run the risk of being accused of "over moderating" if we started with any moderators - so this one is on 'good faith' to behave. Enjoy the forum - thanks to the efforts of the TalkBoard for establishing it.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
We run the risk of being accused of "over moderating" if we started with any moderators - so this one is on 'good faith' to behave. Enjoy the forum - thanks to the efforts of the TalkBoard for establishing it.
Shalom!

Si Yu'os Ma'ase!
Old Nov 22, 2005, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
what do we get to talk about?
Old Nov 22, 2005, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by venice4504
what do we get to talk about?
This forum is open to members of all religions who have contributions which are both travel and faith-oriented. There is but one Golden Rule: We're not here to debate religion.
Res ipsa loquitur.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:03 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Does this mean atheists -- such as myself -- who specifically visit religious sites for art history or architectural interest are welcome, or not?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:36 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by essxjay
Does this mean atheists -- such as myself -- who specifically visit religious sites for art history or architectural interest are welcome, or not?
Of course!

oO(heretic!)
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What a great idea for a forum.

I remember a few years ago, the W in Times Square had a $25/night offer (probably an online snafu). FTers grabbed this, of course, and with that opportunity, came a Saturday evening get-together that evening at the bar. I think it was my first time meeting FTers. There were lots of us and we were enjoying ourselves. The next morning, I was a welcomer at my church with my name tag and everything and who do I see walk up the steps? One of the FTers and his lovely wife. I was astonished initially. Here they were seeing me in my "normal" life at my church. I greeted them of course and then asked them not to tell anyone that we knew each other from being online. It didnt matter where we met. I was panicked which now that I think about it, is foolish.

Anyway, I loved that they were there for the service. They had close friends at my church and therefore come to my church whenever they are in town. I was so pleased that our common faith also linked FTers together.

BTW, I'm still keeping silent.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:42 am

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Originally Posted by Analise
...Anyway, I loved that they were there for the service. They had close friends at my church and therefore come to my church whenever they are in town. I was so pleased that our common faith also linked FTers together.

BTW, I'm still keeping silent.
Good Lord.

As Analise has demonstrated, I think that a religious community can be an excellent virtual meeting-point for FTers to arrange link-ups in person that might not otherwise get posted in the CommunityBuzz! forum. Further, since so many historical sites around the world are religious in nature, FTers like me (who perhaps aren't as religious as their grandmothers might like) can gain a greater appreciation for places that might otherwise be just another flag on a tourist map.

This forum is a fantasic idea. ^
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:50 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
There are two purposes for this forum. One is to discuss travel to religious sites. Anybody -- and yes, that includes athiests -- is certainly welcome to participate.

The second is to give people who want to travel in a religious manner a place to discuss this. A person who might feel uncomfortable taking his children to a beach where topless bathing is allowed would be free to ask about permissiveness in a particular place. A Jew wondering about the availability of kosher food might ask for a list of European or Asian cities where this is not a problem. A Catholic going to a Moslem nation might want to enquire as to where he can attend Mass.

Although I favored establishing this forum long before I joined TalkBoard, I have to admit that Randy is braver than I am -- I would not have dared open it without first having moderators in place.

Also, please remember that this is a forum for religious travel and religious travellers of all faiths. I imagine that Christians and Jews will find it easier to get their questions answered here than Buddhists or Moslems but that is only because more of the former two are likely to be subscribed to it. If you belong to another religion the best way to make certain that your co-religionists can find answers here is to subscribe yourself and be available to them.

Obviously, there is nothing to prohibit a member of one religion from answering a question raised by somebody of another. I, personally, will subscribe to the forum and hope that if someone has questions about religious trips to Israel -- be he Jewish, Christian, Moslem, or Bahai, that I will be able to assist him.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 9:25 am

This forum can be an extremely valuable addition to FlyerTalk.

Because of the obvious potential for volatility, I might suggest an additional guideline for this forum:

Code:
Participants are welcome to discuss aspects of faith or religion 
that they find meaningful or fulfilling. 

Participants may not discuss aspects of faith or religion 
that they do not find meaningful or fulfilling.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by essxjay
I was involved on another thread discussing this forum, and that's basically what I said about it, that although I don't consider myself a religious individual, I welcome such a forum to discuss religious sightseeing for those of us who appreciate the cultural, architectural, or historical aspects in addition to or instead of the spiritual aspects...
Old Nov 29, 2005, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the context of the mission of this forum, the term "all religions" includes any or none.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 3:40 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by wideman

Participants may not discuss aspects of faith or religion
that they do not find meaningful or fulfilling.[/code]
I would disagree with that suggestion -- assuming that the answers provided are factual (as opposed to opinion) and respectful of the religion involved.

As a Jew, I obviously do not believe in either the Virgin Birth or the Immaculate Conception. Therefore, it is axiomatic to say that they are not meaningful or fulfilling to me.

Still, if someone were to post here that "I want to visit the Church of the Annunciation in Nazareth, where Mary was told that she would have a child by an immaculate conception" there would be nothing wrong in my pointing out that he has confused the Immaculate Conception with the Virgin Birth.

Nor would there be anything wrong in my explaining that the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception does not hold that Mary conceived without sex but rather that she, herself, was conceived without inheriting Original Sin.

Obviously, I would be very out of line to then argue that the Catholic dogma itself is wrong. If I want to do that, I should head to Omni.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.