Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Lighting Chanukah Candles in EWR C Term.

Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM

I have a 3 hour layover before 6:30PM flight to CDG in Chanukah. Am open to suggestions how to pull off lighting candles. We use only oil and fire...no flashlights, etc as some may practice. One idea if they don't let us light in the terminal itself is to goto the Marriott hotel across the parking lot.....
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by saccoNY
I have a 3 hour layover before 6:30PM flight to CDG in Chanukah. Am open to suggestions how to pull off lighting candles. We use only oil and fire...no flashlights, etc as some may practice. One idea if they don't let us light in the terminal itself is to goto the Marriott hotel across the parking lot.....
You'll probably get more suggestions on DansDeals. Where would you get the matches or lighter? Would you have the time to spend a half hour with the candles?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Marriott is also no smoking and accordingly a problem in a public area.

You might contact the Interfaith Chapel located in Terminal C. This issue must arise regularly for a variety of faiths and there must be a uniform answer (or prohibition).
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
You'll probably get more suggestions on DansDeals. Where would you get the matches or lighter? Would you have the time to spend a half hour with the candles?
Originally Posted by Often1
The Marriott is also no smoking and accordingly a problem in a public area.

You might contact the Interfaith Chapel located in Terminal C. This issue must arise regularly for a variety of faiths and there must be a uniform answer (or prohibition).
​​​​​​​

great questions/ suggestions. Thanks. I've read you can take a lighter on a plane...only one though...that should work. Yes, the 30 mins is why I would want a space that we wouldn't get "found out" or we could do it quickly somewhere and 'pray' we didn't get noticed...LOL. Was thinking of the following: 1) dayroom at the Marriott for $99. (have to leave the airport and pay $ and deal with the hassle, maybe not technically OK to light them in the room....) 2) I remember there is a smoking patio outside term C, near the elevator (it's out of security but we wouldn't have to trapse across the parking lot, etc. But dont know how protected from the elements it is...wind, cold, etc. and we would technically need a table or a chair to raise the Channukiah up a bit from the ground.).

I called GS and their off the cuff response was "you can't have open flame anywhere in the terminal". But then I asked what do the kitchens do in the restaurants...LOL..."good question" I was told....
I called the interfaith chapel too...thank you for that suggestion and left a voice message.

anyway, there is a solution.....just need to find it!!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
FWIW, I light candles in Marriott rooms all the time. There's "can't" and then there's "can't" and provided you don't burn the place down, nobody will GAD.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

great questions/ suggestions. Thanks. I've read you can take a lighter on a plane...only one though...that should work. Yes, the 30 mins is why I would want a space that we wouldn't get "found out" or we could do it quickly somewhere and 'pray' we didn't get noticed...LOL. Was thinking of the following: 1) dayroom at the Marriott for $99. (have to leave the airport and pay $ and deal with the hassle, maybe not technically OK to light them in the room....) 2) I remember there is a smoking patio outside term C, near the elevator (it's out of security but we wouldn't have to trapse across the parking lot, etc. But dont know how protected from the elements it is...wind, cold, etc. and we would technically need a table or a chair to raise the Channukiah up a bit from the ground.).

I called GS and their off the cuff response was "you can't have open flame anywhere in the terminal". But then I asked what do the kitchens do in the restaurants...LOL..."good question" I was told....
I called the interfaith chapel too...thank you for that suggestion and left a voice message.

anyway, there is a solution.....just need to find it!!
​​​​​​​Where will you get the oil? If it's more than the TSA liquids limit, you won't be able to carry it on board; and I don't think flammable liquids can be carried in a checked bag -- and even if they can be, unless you are traveling on two separate tickets, I doubt that UA would permit you to short-check the bag to EWR.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
​​​​​​​Where will you get the oil? If it's more than the TSA liquids limit, you won't be able to carry it on board; and I don't think flammable liquids can be carried in a checked bag -- and even if they can be, unless you are traveling on two separate tickets, I doubt that UA would permit you to short-check the bag to EWR.
Oil gel cups. Each cup is under the limit and anyways is in a solid form (congealed, like wax)
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold

great questions/ suggestions. Thanks. I've read you can take a lighter on a plane...only one though...that should work.
​​​​​​​Not sure about the US but in general lighters are not permitted, but matches are.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
I'll be lighting candles in Doubletree NCL on the 4th, then in the transit in SVX (Yekaterinburg)on the 5th and lighting the last candles in the Marriott at DFW. Hopefully all goes smoothly...
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:44 pm
Suspended

If it was me OP, Id make a dash for Gate 138 Thats where the TLV goes out of. Im sure you wont be the only person since this coming Shabbos is @ 4:30pm so what are all those on the 84 gonna do??

If delayed then Im sure by any Intl Gate heading To Europe theres a great chance that at least 1 Jew will be on it or passing by
Ive in yrs past lit by the check-in counters, always asked 1st and asked that they please not extingush them before x mins, and I was usually told why extingush them at all before they burn out

wanted to add, Gate 138 is blocked off so you wont beable to access the counter area but should be no problem setting things up there or on a table near to it . Follow the signs for Gate 128 so you will be by where they enter and exit to access 138, theers only 1 way in and out

Last edited by craz; Nov 25, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

craz, what's the connection to when Shabbat comes in?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
craz, what's the connection to when Shabbat comes in?
One should light as close to Shabbats entrance and exit.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tedcruz
One should light as close to Shabbats entrance and exit.
On Friday, perhaps. But OP didn't mention Friday and craz was mentioning it in relation to a flight choice.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:34 am
Original Poster

On Friday, perhaps. But OP didn't mention Friday and craz was mentioning it in relation to a flight choice.

thanks all. Its customary to light candles when 3 stars are out in most cases. On The Friday night in Cannukah, you light Chanukah candles then Shabbat. Some other spiritual customs are are also based on when Shabbat comes in. Which is sundown and goes out when 3 stars are out the next day (usually around an hour after) sundown.

Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Ive decided to push my flight back from the N/S to to a connection through FRA vs coming up with convoluted ways how to figure out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.