Wiki Posts
Search

Shabbat in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum
Shabbat in Hong Kong

Hi all. I am in Macau for a conference in March and plan to fly out on the Thursday before and spend Shabbat in Hong Kong. I have never been before so some sightseeing would be nice and it dramatically reduces the flight cost too.

I assumed that the JCC on the island would be the best place to head to for Shul and meals but I see that there aren't many hotels nearby - I saw mentioned of escalators which worried me a bit since I don't know if can use them or not and if not the walk could be horrendous!

So in short, can anyone advise on best area to stay with reference to Shul and meals. Obviously, if the island and mainland are fairly similar in that aspect, then which one is best in terms of places to walk to and enjoy on Shabbat. Thank you very much.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:02 pm
Suspended

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/relig...r-kowloon.html

http://www.kehilat-zion.org/

Kowloon is your best bet, both shule and hotel wise. theres KZ(Kehilat Zion Sefradi) and a Chabad. I prefer KZ if youre very young you may prefer Chabad. KZ charges $75 per meal on Shabbos. Too many hotels are within a 10-15 min walk eg Holiday Inn,Sheraton,The Peninsula, Inter Con, a Shagrai La next door and another Inter Con after the SL. A Hyatt (not shabbos friendly) for th euS Chains thats besides many no brands

Those hotels are also a 10-15 min walk from the Star Ferry pier that takes you over to HKI (Hong Kong Island) where the JCC is as well as the CBD etc etc
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:05 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by craz
[ KZ charges $75 per meal on Shabbos.
USD or HKD?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yosithezet
USD or HKD?
USD however there seems to be no mention of it on its website any longer. My last time there when the charge was in place, they had tons of more food then before (when they didnt charge) and I only found out about when I got there Fri night for minyan. I paid them afterwards, at the time it seemed the mall where they are was sold or gonna be and either they had to raise millions to buy their place or move, dont know what happened in the end, but they are still there. I havent been to HKG in awhile.

Heard Chabad is still by donation, so those who want a freebe still have a choice, Im not advocating stiffing Chabad. I will still go to KZ as I prefer having a reg shomer shabbos minyan and prefer what I consider a more normal Shabbos atmosphere

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.