FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/religious-travelers-604/)
-   -   KSMLs and MOMLs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/religious-travelers/1698008-ksmls-momls.html)

FF Jul 27, 2015 7:47 am

KSMLs and MOMLs

So on my last JKT-HKG flight I get a lovely Hermolis lunch – pan fried Sole, yum…. And then a couple of hours later I sniff the unmistakeable aroma of a Hermolis meal…. again. So I figure it’s a five hour flight and perhaps there’s a second service and instead of a snack the caterers have loaded a full meal for me… which I won’t have ‘cos I’m still stuffed from the first one. Anyway, the cabin crew lady walks towards me and she’s carrying two large Hermolis boxes – but she walks straight past me to the Malaysian Muslim couple in the row behind me and the meals are for them. So I’m really intrigued and as we’re disembarking we get chatting and the guy tells me that they like them a lot better than the regular or MOMLs so they always order Hermolis when possible!

joshwex90 Jul 28, 2015 5:14 am

Not the first time I've heard this. While I've heard some Muslims say they order it because it's tastier, most order it when Halal isn't available.

With limited exceptions, Kosher is Halal (though obviously the reverse isn't necessarily true).

mikebg Jul 28, 2015 6:35 am

Hermolis is Halal certified. Look at their website.

GUWonder Aug 1, 2015 6:13 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 25183723)
Not the first time I've heard this. While I've heard some Muslims say they order it because it's tastier, most order it when Halal isn't available.

With limited exceptions, Kosher is Halal (though obviously the reverse isn't necessarily true).

Most orders of KSML by Muslims are probably based on the understanding that it will be a meal that more certainly excludes pig products; and indeed many airlines' MSMLs are really nothing but a standard meal from the common catering company where the standard meal is taken to exclude pig products and noted as MSML but otherwise ordinary -- speaking of airlines where the catering company standard is to procure halal meat/poultry for standard meals too.

The KSML is a more unique meal than the MSML on most of those airlines having both meal types.

On some airlines, the special meal orders are great if wanting to be amongst the first served the meal in the cabin. The downside is then you may be waiting to get your tray picked up longer than average after finishing the meal.

joshwex90 Aug 2, 2015 12:57 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25205322)
Most orders of KSML by Muslims are probably based on the understanding that it will be a meal that more certainly includes pig products

The KSML more certainly includes pig products?

GUWonder Aug 2, 2015 5:21 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 25208566)
The KSML more certainly includes pig products?

Excludes. Typo. Thanks.

N1120A Sep 15, 2015 1:34 am

1) Moslems may well order KSML to avoid being stigmatized.

2) Some airlines may use KSMLs as MOMLs, as it is pretty well known that kosher food - as long as it excludes alcohol - is halal.