Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kosher on United Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Kosher on United Airlines

My family and I will be flying United this summer TLV-EWR-DFW. So we are flying economy and they say we will get Lunch. Is that just one meal but we will be able to purchase anything additional? It is a 12 hour flight. We of course will be packing extra anyway.. but just encase.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
TLV-EWR, I presume you're on UA84. If so, you will get a meat lunch and a snack pre-arrival.
For EWR-DFW, there will only be buy-on-board options, but nothing Kosher in terms of meals, though there will be Kosher snacks available. (Pringles, chips, and the like.)

You can obviously buy stuff at TLV and at EWR, there are shops you can buy from. If you would like a meal, you have options depending on how long your layover is. If it's long enough, you can head out to Elizabeth to any of a number of Kosher establishments. If you are packing extra, just remember that you'll need to re-clear security at EWR, and any liquids will have to be consumed, packed in your luggage (you claim before re-checking) or thrown away, but can't be taken with you to your next flight.

Welcome to FT!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by joshwex90
TLV-EWR, I presume you're on UA84. If so, you will get a meat lunch and a snack pre-arrival.
For EWR-DFW, there will only be buy-on-board options, but nothing Kosher in terms of meals, though there will be Kosher snacks available. (Pringles, chips, and the like.)

You can obviously buy stuff at TLV and at EWR, there are shops you can buy from. If you would like a meal, you have options depending on how long your layover is. If it's long enough, you can head out to Elizabeth to any of a number of Kosher establishments. If you are packing extra, just remember that you'll need to re-clear security at EWR, and any liquids will have to be consumed, packed in your luggage (you claim before re-checking) or thrown away, but can't be taken with you to your next flight.

Welcome to FT!
Thanks for the info Josh! Its been awhile since I traveled but hope its just the beginning of traveling more for business and pleasure!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No problem. Hope you enjoy and utilize FT to maximize your travels!

Lemme know if you have any other questions - I do UA TLV-EWR often, so I happen to be more familiar with the particular flight (and lemme know if you have any questions about Kosher during layover in EWR)
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Our layover, all things going well, will be almost 3 hours and we leave from the same terminal looks like C. Are there Kosher options in C in the event we get there and someone wants to eat? We are packing some stuff in our carry on, no liquids or etc of course but I am trying to cover all bases in the event.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Terminal C has Dunkin Donuts. All drinks at DD are Kosher. Regarding food, the baked goods (donuts, coffee roll, muffins, munchkins) are *technically* Kosher. You should ask your own Rabbi whether you can eat them as there's no supervision, and there are non-Kosher items there. I'm sure this thread will soon to devolve into a kashrut debate. I'm not your Rabbi so I don't want to tell you what to do. All I can say is there are legitimate opinions to eat there (they all come from the same factory where there is OU supervision) and legit reasons not to (w/no on premise supervision).

There are Kosher snacks at all the stores, like Hudson News and DuFry.

I think some of the Elizabeth kosher places deliver to the airport.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Josh thanks for the response and I will keep it in mind. Its always good to know your options. I really hope this thread wont devolve into a Kashrut debate.. I have gotten my fill of it here in Israel over the years. To whomever else reads this.. I know what is and isnt Kosher and I am aware of the rules regarding Kashrut. Please dont argue about it.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by steaknale
Josh thanks for the response and I will keep it in mind. Its always good to know your options. I really hope this thread wont devolve into a Kashrut debate.. I have gotten my fill of it here in Israel over the years. To whomever else reads this.. I know what is and isnt Kosher and I am aware of the rules regarding Kashrut. Please dont argue about it.
since you said they will be serving lunch,I take it youre on the 85. Besides what Josh posted above bout all there is, is the DD, at times its the 1st chumitz that is eaten on Yom Tov Sheni (obivously someone holds only 1 day and is flying back to the US on YT2, and isnt flying on the 91 or 85 or is and is connecting onward from EWR).

I will say your best bet is the Chinese place in Elizabeth. I would probably call them the day before give them my flight info so they can know when its arrving and when to send the guy with the food over. Make sure you have enough ca$h to cover it (fwiw they dont even take a DC or CC in store ca$h only) Or grab a cab and head over there say a 15 min trip. Across the street is Jerusalem Pizza (dairy) not what it used to be but not terrible

The Chinese place is mainly takeout but does have a couple of tables you can sat down at, Jerusalem has many tables (dont know if they will deliver to EWR , Chinese will)

With DD you can get the bagels (Huf K) and ask for the individual cream chese and a plastic knife. Ask if they have a bagel slicer if they say they use a reg knife best to tell them not to cut it as that knife will be used to cut the hot non-kosher sandwhiches as well.

Dont know if any of the shoppes carry CIBO food, under StarK, there are Ts @ JFK with it but I havent seen it at EWR. Fresh but not inexpensive
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At 3 hour connection, assuming everything is on time, factor in at least 30 minutes for boarding and 30 minutes for security (EWR in the middle of the day). That drops to 2 hours. Factor in clearing passport control and baggage. I wouldn't risk heading out, even though Elizabeth is close. I'd sooner call. And if not the day before, order the moment the plane lands.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: Previously UA 1K, Delta Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Avis First, AA Gold
There is at least one shop in C and one in A that carries "Freshko" sandwiches and wraps, with a star-K. They usually have egg salad, tuna, turkey, chicken, pastrami, or a few others.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where? I've never seen kosher sandwiches in EWR!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:01 am

Where? I've never seen kosher sandwiches in EWR!
They weren't there the last few time I went through terminal A due to constant rearrangement of the shops. Originally they were in the Market Fresh just ahead when you enter the United section (A20-28) of terminal A after security, then they were in Jamba Juice, now I'm not sure.

Also seen them in Terminal C, near the TLV departure gate (C120-139) in the food court, there is/was a big round kiosk selling sandwiches and chips and such. I think it might also have been Market Fresh. Some of the sandwiches in plastic boxes are Freshko, they're usually grouped together.

Maybe this is what craz is referring to?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oreozp
They weren't there the last few time I went through terminal A due to constant rearrangement of the shops. Originally they were in the Market Fresh just ahead when you enter the United section (A20-28) of terminal A after security, then they were in Jamba Juice, now I'm not sure.

Also seen them in Terminal C, near the TLV departure gate (C120-139) in the food court, there is/was a big round kiosk selling sandwiches and chips and such. I think it might also have been Market Fresh. Some of the sandwiches in plastic boxes are Freshko, they're usually grouped together.

Maybe this is what craz is referring to?
I wasnt referring to any kosher sandwiches at all @ EWR, as I never saw any.Ok I never really looked as Im based close to EWR = either Im being fed on my flight (Intl) or I can take from home. No reason to have to pay the prices they are asking for what they are giving. I have transited thru EWR when I had 2 tkts 1 nested within the other but thats extremely rare

but I did go on the hunt @ LAX the other week since I switched to an earlier flight to JFK which meant no KSML and we were hit with rolling delays which meant the restaurants I was hoping to go to once back in NY will be closed by the time I get there.(the org 9:45pm arrival time ended up as 12:35am by the time my bags came out etc etc it was past 1am before even getting onto the AT)

That said , info where to get something is important since many people do connect onwards and no onward flights will have KSML any longer. Or they are connecting to an Intl flight and left hrs before and didnt eat and have say a few hrs layover and dont want to wait another 4-5 hrs till they get their meal on the Intl leg this si why I mentioned CB&TL @ UAs Term @ LAX in a different thread. Many folks do fly say HNL/OGG/LIH - LAX- EWR or even from Asia and got those great Kosh Air meals consisting of 3 piece of ravioli no snack and want to eat something

btw Thanks for the mention of where to maybe get something, as I usually have people asking me what if anything is available @ EWR and now can advise to seek these places out or at least to look if they see that brand in any of the fridges of any of the shoppes
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be very interested to hear for the few times I transit EWR. I live nearby, so really not an issue, though helpful to tell friends.

But I have never seen nor heard of Kosher sandwiches at TC in EWR
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:16 am

I'd be very interested to hear for the few times I transit EWR. I live nearby, so really not an issue, though helpful to tell friends.

But I have never seen nor heard of Kosher sandwiches at TC in EWR
I've definitely gotten one in C before, but again it's been a few months as I no longer live near there.

craz--I meant that the star-K sandwiches at EWR I saw might be similar to the ones you saw at JFK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.