Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kosher in Athens

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Kosher in Athens

Anyone try the new kosher restaurant in Athens, Gostijo? Also, any experience with the local Chabad there?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by michael2500
Anyone try the new kosher restaurant in Athens, Gostijo? Also, any experience with the local Chabad there?
isnt that their restaurant? I heard Chabad opened 1 up. seems thats the new MO, opening restaurants as a means to pay for their set up, nothing wrong with it and it offers people a hot meal at the same time
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by craz
isnt that their restaurant? I heard Chabad opened 1 up. seems thats the new MO, opening restaurants as a means to pay for their set up, nothing wrong with it and it offers people a hot meal at the same time
Yes craz, we are fully aware that you don't like Chabad.

My sister was there this past month and said that she was very impressed. She enjoyed the food a lot and said that they were very helpful.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by damaxer91

My sister was there this past month and said that she was very impressed. She enjoyed the food a lot and said that they were very helpful.
Interesting, the restaurant looks elegant. I'll be there at the end of December, so I'm looking forward to the new restaurant. Also, did your sister say what kind of food was on the menu?

Last edited by michael2500; Nov 29, 2011 at 10:21 am
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by damaxer91

I didnt bash Chabad in my post just simply stated the facts as I thought they were. I heard a few months ago that a new restaurant had opened up in ATH and also heard that Chabad opened a restaurant and simply put 1 & 1 together.

I also know people that wont eat Chabad(depending on whether that person is a Messianik Chabadnik ) No different then I know people who eat OU here in the US and wont trust them in Israel. Was passing judgement along only was trying to offer the OP some help with their question

and was told by some people I know that as costs are going up and donations are going down each center needs to find ways to raise the necessary $$$ in order to continue doing their thing so more restaurants should be opening in places that they feel will have the foot traffic to pay for it. Absolutly nothing wrong with any Center opening legit businesses that are For Profit even under the the Centers umbrella

as to the food since I havent personally been there I cant and didnt comment. I have eaten in places other people didnt like for whatever reason but yet I liked it just fine. And in other cases where others liked it very much and I walked out not being able to finish even 1/2 of the food eg took some folks as my guests to Papagayo in Yeru we did the Table feast, we all agreed it was nice,not worth the Money, food was so-so some items very good most not at all. Conclusion 5 people that wont be going back there for the table feast again. We liked the lamb and spring chickhen kabobs the best and the steak was the worst.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Chabad in Athens is not "Messianic"

I don't know anything about the restaurant, but I dealt with the Hendels in my travels and they are great people to deal with in general.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travellerK
Chabad in Athens is not "Messianic"

I don't know anything about the restaurant, but I dealt with the Hendels in my travels and they are great people to deal with in general.
as are most people when you come to the Jewish communities that arent NY,LA,Miami,London or in Israel whether they are Chabad or not

exception this past Shabbos I was in Krakow and trying to deal with the Olive Tree restaurant was bad, for some reason their fax and mine didnt talk to each other, knowing I was gonna arrive just before Shabbos starts ,I asked in an email if I could pay them Motzei Shabbos if they are open or on Sun. Was told no prepayment no food. I remember being in both Vienna and Budapest and each time people just showed up w/o a res some even wanted to pay there and then (not religious but I guess they eat only kosher), both times the mgr or owner showed them to a table and asked if they please come back after Shabbos to pay. I wouldnt suggest anyone simply showing up at The Olive Tree in Krakow if they didnt pay beforehand

turns out the local community eats together at the JCC and is 40% of what the OT wanted, but finding out how kosher it is (reliable?) was as bad as dealing with the OT, but at least they said in their email reply,"if you cant pay before Shabbos then please still join us and wed appreciate it if you would pay after Shabbos"
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
We ate there last year. Wonderful family and wonderful restaurant. Also included a small shop consistent with what you would find
at other Chabad locations.

While we were there we took advantage fo the free telephone service to anywhere on earth they offered in the waiting area.

Strongly endorse the location!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.