Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific JFK-HKG Kosher meals First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific JFK-HKG Kosher meals First Class

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
Originally Posted by crazypalooza
So I wrote to Cathay...

Dear Cathay: I understand that CX uses kosher economy meals for all classes, and I am hoping that you would reconsider your policy and upgrade the kosher first class meal to
a meal fitting first class. It would help enhance our experiance and all
those other people that fly first that only eat kosher and would give CX
a better name and reputation regarding this. thank you for your
consideration in this regard. I look forward to your response. Scincerely Palooza.

And here is their response (13 days later!):
Dear mr Palooza

With regards to your feedback pertaining to Kosher Meal (KSML) served on
Cathay Pacific (CX) flights, we would like to advise that CX provides
one kind of premium KSML for all classes except for flight operating
from New York (JFK). In New York, the supplier provide two kinds of
KSML, one is for First/Business class passengers and the other for
Economy class passengers.

However, customer feedback is important to us as it helps in our
endeavour to improve our service standards and we are grateful to you
for your feedback. Rest assured, a copy of your email has been forwarded
to the relevant department for their perusal.

hopefully we have been able to clarify the matter, however,
for any further assistance or clarification we kindly request you to
contact your nearest Cathay Pacific Airways reservations office.

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Cathay Pacific
and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you on board our
flights soon.

Yours sincerely,
Customer Relations
I guess we should write the same to other carriers who do not honor C and F KSMLs. Such as TG, SN, ...
Old May 16, 2011, 8:32 pm

If more people email Cathay, maybe they'll consider improving the meals...
Old May 16, 2011, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

If more people email Cathay, maybe they'll consider improving the meals...
What is Cathay Email address that we could send?!
Old May 17, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I suggest sending photographs of the food in all its 'glory' to the top management of the airline by registered mail. Ask them if that is what they think a First Class passenger should be receiving. Explain to them that there are suppliers of SKML who can do a significantly better job and do so with many other (named) airlines. Ask them how they would feel as a First Class passenger if that was wht they had received.

I have done this before (with EL AL, who were serving the most awful food imaginable to their First Class SKML passengers) and it can work.
Old May 17, 2011, 3:08 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
It would help if some of us were flying in paid F
Old May 17, 2011, 7:26 am

Do those haredim I have seen in first class redeem or pay?
Old May 17, 2011, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by ual902
What is Cathay Email address that we could send?!
send emails to: [email protected]
Old May 17, 2011, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Shimon
Do those haredim I have seen in first class redeem or pay?
I think it is irrelevant if people are using milage. They are redeeming for First class and First class standards are not crap economy meals.
Old May 17, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
I think it is irrelevant if people are using milage. They are redeeming for First class and First class standards are not crap economy meals.
Indeed, it is irrelevant. Some airlines seem to be intrested in discriminating revenue pax from redemption pax. But that's besides the point now.
Old May 17, 2011, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by mikebg
I suggest sending photographs of the food in all its 'glory' to the top management of the airline by registered mail. Ask them if that is what they think a First Class passenger should be receiving. Explain to them that there are suppliers of SKML who can do a significantly better job and do so with many other (named) airlines. Ask them how they would feel as a First Class passenger if that was wht they had received.

I have done this before (with EL AL, who were serving the most awful food imaginable to their First Class SKML passengers) and it can work.
I received as an 'excuse' that "... If you really want a superior meal, we can offer you the regular meal that is served on board. If you choose KSML, we have only one option to offer you.".
How can airlines understand that they need to cater the needs of pax who order KSML in premium class too. I notice that some airlines order once a month or so a bunch of KSML's (frozen or long life), and distribute it on board whenever one is ordered.
Read today an article about QF serving old frozen meals to pax while claiming that it was all fresh. If it was not mentioned in the article as a general complaint, I would have insinuated that this is what is happening with KSML.
Old May 17, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by HONcircle
I received as an 'excuse' that "... If you really want a superior meal, we can offer you the regular meal that is served on board..
You need to write back that you will take your premium custom away from them as a result of their total lack of consideration. It is simply not possible for an Orthodox Jewish passenger to eat their regular meal. Other airlines offer premium kosher meals to premium passengers and that is where you intend to give your business in future. Just rub in the bits about being a premium passenger and that you will fly with their competitors in future. You can mention that you intend to share your negative experience with other Orthodox Jewish flyers on a bulletin board catering to such people and you are sure that they too will make sure that they choose other airlines in the future.

Remember that what counts to them is the bottom line!
Old May 17, 2011, 11:47 pm

Indeed, it is irrelevant. Some airlines seem to be intrested in discriminating revenue pax from redemption pax. But that's besides the point now.
Including the communist Air China.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:58 pm
Suspended

I received as an 'excuse' that "... If you really want a superior meal, we can offer you the regular meal that is served on board. If you choose KSML, we have only one option to offer you.".
How can airlines understand that they need to cater the needs of pax who order KSML in premium class too. I notice that some airlines order once a month or so a bunch of KSML's (frozen or long life), and distribute it on board whenever one is ordered.
Read today an article about QF serving old frozen meals to pax while claiming that it was all fresh. If it was not mentioned in the article as a general complaint, I would have insinuated that this is what is happening with KSML.
IMO the only thing that May change the way they look at KSML is if enough people who order KSML are on expensive revenue tkts = paid top $$ for the cabin they are flying in and instead fly with anotehr carrier paying that verye xpensive fare and then sending in proof to the 1st carrier that they wont be flying with them again till they change the way they do things with KSML

The above excludes flying on free tkts or deeply discounted fares or a tkt purchased via a consolidator. If theres enough people purchasing the the very expensive Fully Refundable fares and they stop doing so that may be the only way a Carrier will listen. Till then I dont see much change taking place
Old May 18, 2011, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by craz
IMO the only thing that May change the way they look at KSML is if enough people who order KSML are on expensive revenue tkts = paid top $$ for the cabin they are flying in and instead fly with anotehr carrier paying that verye xpensive fare and then sending in proof to the 1st carrier that they wont be flying with them again till they change the way they do things with KSML

The above excludes flying on free tkts or deeply discounted fares or a tkt purchased via a consolidator. If theres enough people purchasing the the very expensive Fully Refundable fares and they stop doing so that may be the only way a Carrier will listen. Till then I dont see much change taking place
The carrier will respond to customer feedback, if they do. They won't do so on a financial basis. A small percentage of travellers are jewish, and an even smaller percentage are religious people ordering KSML. An even smaller percentage of them are willing to write to the airline and on FT. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old May 18, 2011, 3:10 pm
Suspended

The carrier will respond to customer feedback, if they do. They won't do so on a financial basis. A small percentage of travellers are jewish, and an even smaller percentage are religious people ordering KSML. An even smaller percentage of them are willing to write to the airline and on FT. Correct me if I am wrong.
I feel if say the vast majority of those flying in the Premium cabins are doing so on Free tkts or greatly reduced reduced discount fares the Carrier wont care too much, if however say a number of those who in fact purchase Full Fare Biz or FC tkts complain and say if you cant get me (us) a decent special meal after what we are paying and XX charges the same for the tkt then I (we) will fly XX hence forth. That carrier will listen as it doesnt want to lose 10s of $1000s for a few bucks

now if its that they see people are flying up front Only using their miles or upgrading from cheap coach fares, then they dont have much to lose or care if you walk

Im a 1K with UA the past few yrs (CO Plat B 4 that) all I know is that UA will make a heck of alot more $$$ to its bottom line from a person paying even a Full Fare Intl Coach fare then they will from me and my flying over 100k with them them just the facts.

Now if I was a UA GS (invitation only based on $$$ spent and top fares) Im sure UA would listen to whatever I send in to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.