Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

What is Your Definition of a Kosher Establishment?

What is Your Definition of a Kosher Establishment?

Old Nov 26, 10, 2:28 am
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 13,022
Before a bunch of frum Jews get our forum locked for acting immaturely, let's all relax here. No need to get out of hand by other typing loshon hara or accusing others of it. sam33, the burden of proof is not on zvika here to prove his hechsher. This isn't a kosher forum. If the 2 of you disagree about what his real hechsher is, whether it's acceptable..., PM each other and discuss, and eat and celebrate! But don't both of you start making accusations of loshon hara, libel... against one another please.
Keeping kosher is one of the commandments in the Torah; another one is to treat all Jews wit respect. Let's try to remember that as we try to remember what the purpose of kashrut is; (G-d's will), and therefore should NEVER be the cause of chilul Hashem and fights!
joshwex90 is online now  
Old Nov 26, 10, 10:26 am
  #32  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 22,388
Originally Posted by sam33 View Post
As I've pointed out above, you clearly know nothing about the reality in BKK, but this hasn't stopped you from making wild and ignorant assertions. I graduated a better business school than you did, but I still can't figure out how charging $17 for a meal that costs more than that to produce adds up to "running a business".
Which only serves to confirm doubts about the rest of your rants.
simple and you proved Chabad was smart to do as they do, you said even thou they charge $17 you give them alot more.

You dont understand to me its no different then say a Yeshiva or Sem, they too are runned these days as a biz and to a large extent need to or else they will have to shut down

But the schools dont go around saying we wont charge a dime to the parents some they wont. They dont hide that what they charge doesnt cover their expenses but only make up a part of the overall budget. and even thou most schools have tax exempt status they hope if at all possible to end the year in the black and not brake even or in the red. So I also see teh schools as a biz the girls schools are runned tahtw ay , way better then the schools for the guys (Im not talking about Chabad here but ALL Jewish schools)

A shul will shut down if all they got was what they charged for membership, tahts why they have there Yom Kippur appeals, Diners, and different things thru the year to raise more $$. The more they raise teh more theyw ill spend and if the Rabbi is the main reason for whats coming in you know that the next time his contract is up hes gonna be asking for a cut of the action be it in the form of a raise or a %

If a new shul or yeshia building will cost say 2 million they wont stop once tehy raise that amount they will keep going and simply use the fund sraised to cover whatever

Originally Posted by sam33 View Post
There has been a small Jewish community in Bangkok for at-least the last fifty years, and both shuls, the Even Chen and the Bet Elisheva are also about fifty years old. It was actually the local community that requested and invited Chabad to come around 1990, and three years later in 1993 is when Rabbi Kantor arrived. To this day, a large part of his week is spent serving these shuls, especially Even Chen (where I daven when in BKK). Your claim that Chabad is there to "pull in as much $$$ as possible" is simply ridiculous.
and yours isnt! Chabad can do no wrong rah rah rah

I did post that I havent been in BKK or Thailand as of yet and if ist a syou say that Chabad was invited in and is on good terms with the locals GREAT, unfortunately that is far from the case with alot of other places they are in

I will ask you 1 more time are you Chabad yourself? and why isnt the branch still running in Taiwan dozens of Isarelis hit that place yet once the biz people stopped going there when manufactoring moved elsewhere it wasnt too much longer that Chabad pulled out from what I was told

Originally Posted by sam33 View Post
Forgive me for not conforming to your silly conspiracy theories, but I simply visit BKK frequently for business, and am well connected in the local community for some years. So unlike 'craz', I actually know firsthand what the situation in BKK usually is, including with Chabad, who do amazing work there. You see, 'craz', over the seven-or-so years I've been going there, I've seen them work around the clock to get a dead tourists body to Israel for 'kever yisroel' without being paid by anybody, arrange Pesach sedorim (FREE) for thousands of people every year, run a free yeshiva that has sent hundreds of baalei-teshuva on to other yeshivos in Israel, and provide kosher food to hundreds (if not thousands) of people every week.
To correct some more of your ignorant lies, they actually charge 500 baht for Fri. night meals to those who can afford it, and the Shabbat kiddush is free. Wow, they charge about $US17 for a meal, some business that must be!!! Of-course I and many of my friends make larger donations. We consider it an honour to be able to participate in supporting such fantastically dedicated people in their work, and appreciate their self-sacrifice on behalf of Am Yisrael.
Perhaps 'craz' would be best advised to keep his ignorant speculation under wraps until he actually found out the facts....
I never said Chabad in BKK werent dedicated people or that they didnt do anything for the local community or visiting Jews. I even posted how the HKI community Loves the Rabbi on HKI that they raised the $$ to purchase an apt for him. And Im sure elsewhere this will be the case but Not everywhere

You know many a store will have an item on sale where they lose $$ on it they are banking on people coming in going down the aisle to get that item and seeing and buying other items as well. If everyone going into the local large supermarket will ONLY buy those items on sale , that supermkt will have to go out of biz.

so you can toot your horn all you want

I wouldnt eat Hebrew National , it has a triangle K on it , for those who only want kosher and Glatt isnt important they will eat it. Is it traif 100% I wouldnt say so even thou I wouldnt eat it and it doesnt reach my stanadards. But its alot better for a person to eat that then say oscar meyer brand

I remember there was in kikar zion a place called Blue Brotehrs Steakhouse owned by a couple of BTs who Im sure served kosher food and were closed on Shabbos but didnt have a hecksher but had all over their place letters showing they used only Beis Yosef meat. That wasnt good enough for me and I never ate there yet I know people that did

So if what Tzivka had going didnt measure up to your standards you shouldnt have eaten there, if what he now has in place still doesnt then still dont eat there. But to go and say nobody should you if you never checked it out for yourself is something else. It seems you are trying to tell everyone eat ONLY by Chabad they do great work and need your money. You might be Right in the end , at this point I dont know, but like in Florence it seems the Chabad people in BKK arent getting along with Tzvika and would like nothing more then for him to close down. They arent Objective

He said he asked them for their hecksher if they refused because he didnt meet their Standards then by all means they shouldnt have given it to him, if it was to kill any potential competetion then thats a problem, not that they Must give it

I judge each place on its own, something that seems to me you wont do

Originally Posted by zvika View Post
6 cameras + mashgiach + shomer shabat owner + the rabbi giving the hechsher has no stake in the place
I spoke with a friend who works for a Major kashrus org here in NY and basically he said they wouldnt rely on the cameras and they are more or less useless since they wouldnt be monitered 24/7 and ist too easy to get around them

dont anything on who your mashgiach is and if hes reliable or not, owner being shomer shabbos is important but the end all, and how often does the Rav who give sthe hecksher ever drop by and is he reliable

I know plenty of owners in the food service biz and have seen what they have on site as their mashgiachs, USELESS if I didnt know the owners I wouldnt eat there, in a few cases the hecksher is a very good 1 that can be relied upon

1 friend plays with the different mashgiachs that are sent where he palces products that arent kosher or without a good hecksher in his kitchen to see if they will find it, its not like undr 3 tons of lead, and he tells me most times they simply walk right by it at times even looking straight at it and seeing it and yet dont check it out.then there are some he says that are worth thier weight in Gold and know their stuff and you wont find them in a corner eating or reading or on their cell phone but are actively going around checking things out as they should be

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 26, 10 at 5:54 pm Reason: Removed borderline personal attacks.
craz is offline  
Old Nov 26, 10, 12:55 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: YYZ/NYC/LHR/MEL
Programs: SPG-Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 308
Originally Posted by craz View Post
and yours isnt! Chabad can do no wrong rah rah rah

I did post that I havent been in BKK or Thailand as of yet and if ist a syou say that Chabad was invited in and is on good terms with the locals GREAT, unfortunately that is far from the case with alot of other places they are in

I will ask you 1 more time are you Chabad yourself? and why isnt the branch still running in Taiwan dozens of Isarelis hit that place yet once the biz people stopped going there when manufactoring moved elsewhere it wasnt too much longer that Chabad pulled out from what I was told
I addressed that immaturity earlier, when I informed you, quite proudly in fact, that I have an affinity for Chabad, enjoy their services, and am happy to support to some Chabad houses in cities I visit.

Your absurd accusation re. Taiwan speaks for itself. Do you honestly believe that Chabad is accountable to you for why they do or don't operate in Taiwan (or anywhere else) ?! I have never been to Taiwan and have no clue what the situation there is. Why don't you ask whoever 'told' you about Taiwan why they didn't sponsor the Chabad there....unbelievable. Well, almost unbelievable. You see, I've witnessed time and again, the cheap freeloaders who show up at Chabad in Vail, Utah, Bangkok etc. with shopping lists of demands, menu requests, and all types of 'suggestions'. I'd estimate the average donation left by these whiners at about $36 (from what I've seen) and it makes me sick. Until you're willing to put skin in the game, like these Chabadniks who live in these places all year, unlike we who enjoy visiting for a few days at a time, be quiet and thank them for being there. Or go somewhere else - maybe call the Salvation Army, give them the address of your ski chalet in Park City, and offer them $36 to get you kosher food!
Or open a different Jewish center, and do it right, unlike Chabad who seem to (from the sound of your posts) usually do it wrong.
sam33 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 10, 5:33 pm
  #34  
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States
Posts: 24,537
Exclamation Thread Alert

The content of this thread has been moved from the Kosher family travel in Asia challenge! thread into its own thread precisely because it has little to do with the topic of keeping Kosher while traveling in Asia and more to do with what is exactly considered Kosher.

Additionally, some of the content in this thread has been edited to keep civility and peace amongst those who participate in it. Please keep this thread Kosher by not contributing to any off-topic or unnecessary discussion.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,

Canarsie
Senior Moderator
Canarsie is offline  
Old Nov 27, 10, 9:27 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Posts: 1,597
FYI, anyone who has been to Chabad in Bangkok (or anywhere else in Thailand) knows that they are not making but losing money on their food operation. Last time that I was in BKK I ate like a king and the total was $4.00.

It is very obvious that Craz had an issue with Chabad at one point or another (like many of us have) and has taken it to the extreme x10. I agree 100% that there are some Chabad operations which are not opened in a kosher manner (exe Kowloon) but for the most part, the shluchim are moser nefesh and always provide to EVERYONE without questions....

There is nothing that bother me more than the people who run from Chabad to Chabad when in Asia and then when they get back home start screaming about how Chabad is crazy. Next time bring your own food...
damaxer91 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 10, 6:04 pm
  #36  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 22,388
Originally Posted by sam33 View Post
I addressed that immaturity earlier, when I informed you, quite proudly in fact, that I have an affinity for Chabad, enjoy their services, and am happy to support to some Chabad houses in cities I visit.

Your absurd accusation re. Taiwan speaks for itself. Do you honestly believe that Chabad is accountable to you for why they do or don't operate in Taiwan (or anywhere else) ?! I have never been to Taiwan and have no clue what the situation there is. Why don't you ask whoever 'told' you about Taiwan why they didn't sponsor the Chabad there....unbelievable. Well, almost unbelievable. You see, I've witnessed time and again, the cheap freeloaders who show up at Chabad in Vail, Utah, Bangkok etc. with shopping lists of demands, menu requests, and all types of 'suggestions'. I'd estimate the average donation left by these whiners at about $36 (from what I've seen) and it makes me sick. Until you're willing to put skin in the game, like these Chabadniks who live in these places all year, unlike we who enjoy visiting for a few days at a time, be quiet and thank them for being there. Or go somewhere else - maybe call the Salvation Army, give them the address of your ski chalet in Park City, and offer them $36 to get you kosher food!
Or open a different Jewish center, and do it right, unlike Chabad who seem to (from the sound of your posts) usually do it wrong.
wont sink to your level of name calling

either you are a Chabadnik or you arent ,you can not be yet support them, I know some non-religious Jews that want to only eat kosher and seek out Chabad whenever they are traveling and donate to them. Dont know why you cant simply say Im not Chabad if you arent. The way you are posting seems to be either you are and dont want to lie by saying youre arent and thusly why you feel as you do and want to come off as if you arent Chabad so that others will support them as well, since if I was on here nuilding up say Gerer and asked am I a Gerer and I say yes then what I said isnt worth as much

Personally Ive eaten by Chabad all of 3 times among over 30 yrs of flying, 2 of them I was with someone who wanted to eat only by them and went a stheir guest (it was up to them to take care of the $$ part). So 1 time I did in fact eat by Chabad on my own and was not a happy camper since it was in Florence where there is a battle between them and the locals who do NOT accept them and the Chabad people only come to town on Shabbos an dare based an hour away in Bolonga had I known that was the case I would have most certainly stayed away.

This isnt the case with every Chabad location and many get along very well with the locals if there are any. Nor IMO is there anything wrong with running a restaurant or Shabbos on a For Profit basis, but at least say it as it is that is what bothers. Make a price and say thoe who cant afford pay what you can those who can help us futher we greatly appreciate it

Originally Posted by damaxer91 View Post
FYI, anyone who has been to Chabad in Bangkok (or anywhere else in Thailand) knows that they are not making but losing money on their food operation. Last time that I was in BKK I ate like a king and the total was $4.00.

It is very obvious that Craz had an issue with Chabad at one point or another (like many of us have) and has taken it to the extreme x10. I agree 100% that there are some Chabad operations which are not opened in a kosher manner (exe Kowloon) but for the most part, the shluchim are moser nefesh and always provide to EVERYONE without questions....

There is nothing that bother me more than the people who run from Chabad to Chabad when in Asia and then when they get back home start screaming about how Chabad is crazy. Next time bring your own food...
I happen to bring my own food or eat at a restaurant if there is 1 open for Shabbos meals, if at all possible. Ive eaten in my hotel room by myself numerous times and will do so in the future as well

as for Aisa the only Chabad I came across was Kowloon, wasnt in PEK for Shabbos and thats been my extent to Asia 2 trips. The problems with the locals are in Europe that I ran into

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 28, 10 at 9:48 am Reason: Consolidation.
craz is offline  
Old Nov 27, 10, 8:10 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: oxr
Posts: 172
their never was a branch in Taiwan....It seems like zvika became a member of Flyertalk to promote his Business, & to attack others

I Spent Shabbat in Chabad of Venice , while enjoying Shabbat Dinner ,Some Yeshiva Student were Attacking Chabad while enjoying their food...Sounds like your type of people,
shas12 is offline  
Old Nov 28, 10, 1:01 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: tlv
Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Posts: 802
I have been following this long discussion and feel that I have to comment

We clearly have at the start the case of Zvika, who I never heard of before, having never been to Thailand, saying that his Restaurant is Kosher for various reasons (which I will go into later) and Shas12 openly or otherwise supporting Chabad , and then Craz rebuting and attacking him.

The original title of this thread was "what is your definition of a Kosher Establishment" and not "let's attack Chabad". We had a poster attacking Zvika for his new Hashgacha methods and for his "misleading certificate". Did anyone here actually read the certificate? It is not from some chief rabbi of a Negev town but from "Rabbani Tzohar" of which the Negev Rabbi (and I know who he is), is a member.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with "Rabbani Tzohar" let me explain that it is a group of very respected Orthodox Rabbis in Israel, led by the Chief Rabbi of Ramat Gan, Rabbi Yaacov Ariel, who have come together to offer a fresh, and others say challenging perspective to various life cycle events in Israel such as Marriage, Kashrut etc. while running parallel to the established Municipal Rabbanut

It is hard to describe everything that they do but if one is interested it is probably easy enough to find out on Google etc. It is that organization that is putting its name and reputation on the line at Zvika's, not some "unknown Rabbi"

I grew up in the 50's and 60's in Boro Park NY. There were no supervising agencies for restaurants. You ate where you knew the owner. If you trusted HIM you ate there, if not, then no. There was a case of a Deli that had Kosher meat but was open on Shabbat even though the owner and his son were in Shul in the morning but the Orthodox market did not eat there because they didn't trust the owner, not that the meat was not Kosher.

Today because of widespread travel and community development it is not possible to "know the owner" so we must rely on the Kashrut organizatons.
If you trust the OU you eat at their places and don't ask how they supervise etc, the same thing for OK, Star K etc. So if you are familiar with Rabbani Tozher and trust them, then you can eat at Zivka's. I don't think that he is at war with Chabad, but just someone who is trying to make a living and provide a needed service.

As to Chabad I have eaten, davened and even slept at their centers around America and throughout the world. I never saw them as a free soup kitchen and always paid my way either through a fixed price for Shabbat meals, as in Beijing, or by donation in other places. Of course the money is used to cover expenses, both of the food and running the center, and in some cases might not even cover it. But who cares what they call it and how they raise the money to continue their work. They provide something that no one else seems to provide world wide, shuls and Kosher food, and should be encouraged.

I must say that I am unfamiliar with the situation in Florence and whether there is a powerplay by Chabad against local businesses so I cannot comment.

But I do think that we should stop the fighting and bickering and possible Chilul Hashem that has been going on here for the past few days and remember that although everyone is entitled to his own opinion, that does not mean that the other's is wrong

With best wishes for Ahavat Chinam and not Sinat Chinam
badatz is offline  
Old Nov 28, 10, 1:26 am
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 13,022
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by badatz View Post
I have been following this long discussion and feel that I have to comment

We clearly have at the start the case of Zvika, who I never heard of before, having never been to Thailand, saying that his Restaurant is Kosher for various reasons (which I will go into later) and Shas12 openly or otherwise supporting Chabad , and then Craz rebuting and attacking him.

The original title of this thread was "what is your definition of a Kosher Establishment" and not "let's attack Chabad". We had a poster attacking Zvika for his new Hashgacha methods and for his "misleading certificate". Did anyone here actually read the certificate? It is not from some chief rabbi of a Negev town but from "Rabbani Tzohar" of which the Negev Rabbi (and I know who he is), is a member.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with "Rabbani Tzohar" let me explain that it is a group of very respected Orthodox Rabbis in Israel, led by the Chief Rabbi of Ramat Gan, Rabbi Yaacov Ariel, who have come together to offer a fresh, and others say challenging perspective to various life cycle events in Israel such as Marriage, Kashrut etc. while running parallel to the established Municipal Rabbanut

It is hard to describe everything that they do but if one is interested it is probably easy enough to find out on Google etc. It is that organization that is putting its name and reputation on the line at Zvika's, not some "unknown Rabbi"

I grew up in the 50's and 60's in Boro Park NY. There were no supervising agencies for restaurants. You ate where you knew the owner. If you trusted HIM you ate there, if not, then no. There was a case of a Deli that had Kosher meat but was open on Shabbat even though the owner and his son were in Shul in the morning but the Orthodox market did not eat there because they didn't trust the owner, not that the meat was not Kosher.

Today because of widespread travel and community development it is not possible to "know the owner" so we must rely on the Kashrut organizatons.
If you trust the OU you eat at their places and don't ask how they supervise etc, the same thing for OK, Star K etc. So if you are familiar with Rabbani Tozher and trust them, then you can eat at Zivka's. I don't think that he is at war with Chabad, but just someone who is trying to make a living and provide a needed service.

As to Chabad I have eaten, davened and even slept at their centers around America and throughout the world. I never saw them as a free soup kitchen and always paid my way either through a fixed price for Shabbat meals, as in Beijing, or by donation in other places. Of course the money is used to cover expenses, both of the food and running the center, and in some cases might not even cover it. But who cares what they call it and how they raise the money to continue their work. They provide something that no one else seems to provide world wide, shuls and Kosher food, and should be encouraged.

I must say that I am unfamiliar with the situation in Florence and whether there is a powerplay by Chabad against local businesses so I cannot comment.

But I do think that we should stop the fighting and bickering and possible Chilul Hashem that has been going on here for the past few days and remember that although everyone is entitled to his own opinion, that does not mean that the other's is wrong

With best wishes for Ahavat Chinam and not Sinat Chinam
Excellent post!

As for zvika, I did not know your hashgacha, nor did I comment on it. Having heard it's from Tzohar, who are made up of some friends actually, and who I greatly support, I say that I look forward to eating in your restaurant next time I'm in the area. But more important to me, how does your food taste!
joshwex90 is online now  
Old Nov 28, 10, 9:33 am
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 22,388
Originally Posted by badatz View Post
I have been following this long discussion and feel that I have to comment

We clearly have at the start the case of Zvika, who I never heard of before, having never been to Thailand, saying that his Restaurant is Kosher for various reasons (which I will go into later) and Shas12 openly or otherwise supporting Chabad , and then Craz rebuting and attacking him.

I never attacked him/her and would still like if they would answer me if they are simply a non-Chabad person who supports Chabad or if they are in fact a Chabadnik. If anything he/she is constantly attacking me

Unfortunately a person isnt allowed ever to say anything negative about Chabad, if you do beware the flames of Attack will be upon you. The question wasnt if tehy are doing good work or not. What say you if they raise their money by dealing in Drugs, some will say its 100% OK since they are doing the work that nobody else is. and for the record I have relatives that have been Shluchim and some still are! and yes Ive spoken to them about it.

THANK YOU for shedding some insight onto those in Israel who are giving Tzvika his hecksher, I never heard of them but will most certainly be incontact witha friend over there to see if he can get me the low down.



as to what means Fundraising is done is an individual thing. I dont understand how someone like sam33 can put down those who go and eat and dont Donate a dime and call these people names when in Fact Chabad says we dont charge but do appreciate donations. If they decide not to charge then thats that a person does not need to give them anything and should feel 100% OK contnuing to go and eat their meals by them. The second Chabad finds they arent bringing in the $$$ they hoped for leaving it to the people giving what they feel like if anything, they will start charging a set price, since the game plan didnt workout , which is they found out that people will give alot more then what a set price will and they hoped that it would offset those that cant afford to or simply will eat and not give anything

Last edited by craz; Nov 28, 10 at 9:41 pm
craz is offline  
Old Nov 28, 10, 10:14 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: tlv
Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Posts: 802
[QUOTE=craz;15318104]1stly I take offense when you said I "and attcked sam33". I never attacked him/her and would still like if they would answer me if they are simply a non-Chabad person who supports Chabad or if they are in fact a Chabadnik. If anything he/she is constantly attacking me]


I used the term "attack" not as a personal affront but as used in a debate , to "attack a position". No personal offense was intended




[Unfortunately a person isnt allowed ever to say anything negative about Chabad, if you do beware the flames of Attack will be upon you. The question wasnt if tehy are doing good work or not. What say you if they raise their money by dealing in Drugs, some will say its 100% OK since they are doing the work that nobody else is. and for the record I have relatives that have been Shluchim and some still are! and yes Ive spoken to them about it.]



Of course I would not condon doing anything illegal and saying it is okay if the money is going to charity. It's like saying I would okay with the Mafia robbing and murdering someone and then giving the money to charity


[THANK YOU for shedding some insight onto those in Israel who are giving Tzvika his hecksher, I never heard of them but will most certainly be incontact witha friend over there to see if he can get me the low down.]

Tzohar is very well known and repected in the Modern Orthodox world in Israel
badatz is offline  
Old Nov 28, 10, 10:56 am
  #42  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 22,388
Originally Posted by badatz View Post

Tzohar is very well known and repected in the Modern Orthodox world in Israel
which for some is a problem, eg heter mechira alot of people dont hold by this the more modern crowd does

Im not saying Tzohar isnt reliable or a person cant trust them. But from those Ive spoken with thus far they arent too fond of the camera thingy , which Tzohar seems to have no problem with

personally I dont rely on the reg Rabbanuth for Fleshig when in Israel
craz is offline  
Old Nov 28, 10, 12:07 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: tlv
Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Posts: 802
Originally Posted by craz View Post
which for some is a problem, eg heter mechira alot of people dont hold by this the more modern crowd does

Im not saying Tzohar isnt reliable or a person cant trust them. But from those Ive spoken with thus far they arent too fond of the camera thingy , which Tzohar seems to have no problem with

personally I dont rely on the reg Rabbanuth for Fleshig when in Israel
You just made my point. Sure there are various levels of Kashrut observance. Some eat Rabbanut, some only certain Rabbanut (Jerusalem, Rechovot, Tzefat ) some Glatt, Beit Yosef. Chassidish Schechita, various American or European supervisory associations etc. The possibilities are endless. Everyone has to make his personal choice as to what is acceptable to him.

This does not mean in any way that what is not okay for him is not 100% Kosher for thousands or hundreds of thousands of others.

I personally know of a chain of religiously owned supermarkets in Israel that will not sell Coca Cola products in a few of their stores in Bnei Brak as the Hechsher is from Rav Landau who although he is the head of the Beit Din in Bnei Brak, he is also a Chabad Chasid. Other elements threatened to burn the stores down if they sold it.

As it says in the good book, "aseh lechah Rav" Make yourself a Rabbi, or in other words use the Rabbi you trust but don't knock the others
badatz is offline  
Old Nov 28, 10, 12:20 pm
  #44  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 22,388
Originally Posted by badatz View Post
You just made my point.

This does not mean in any way that what is not okay for him is not 100% Kosher for thousands or hundreds of thousands of others.
and I agree with You 100% , I didnt say a person shouldnt rely on the reg Rabbanuth cause I dont, nor that it wasnt kosher. each person should check it out for themselves, now I hope I will be able when in TL and if near to Tzvika to be able to eat by him.

If it turns out I wont that wont mean he isnt kosher, just maybe not kosher enough for me. Just as I buy washed meat for some people even thou I myself wont eat it , its kosher just I hold to a different standard

But unfortuantely that wasnt what was happening in the thread, and hopefully that is now in the past
craz is offline  
Old Nov 28, 10, 12:31 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: tlv
Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Posts: 802
Originally Posted by craz View Post
and I agree with You 100% , I didnt say a person shouldnt rely on the reg Rabbanuth cause I dont, nor that it wasnt kosher. each person should check it out for themselves, now I hope I will be able when in TL and if near to Tzvika to be able to eat by him.

If it turns out I wont that wont mean he isnt kosher, just maybe not kosher enough for me. Just as I buy washed meat for some people even thou I myself wont eat it , its kosher just I hold to a different standard

But unfortuantely that wasnt what was happening in the thread, and hopefully that is now in the past
Agreed
badatz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread