Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

BA: are meals on flights to Saudi halal by default?

Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold

I have never been able to find the answer to this question even when I have contacted British Airways. Does anyone know for sure?

If I book a halal meal then I guess my chances of upgrade (for free or cash) are reduced to zero.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Dont take my word as set in stone.. but if the flights out of Saudia Arabia are most likely halal, then I would presume that flights into the country would be the same too.

From personal experiences when flying to /from an arabic country, the meals would be halal by default. eg OS to/from Cairo.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Dont take my word as set in stone.. but if the flights out of Saudia Arabia are most likely halal, then I would presume that flights into the country would be the same too.

From personal experiences when flying to /from an arabic country, the meals would be halal by default. eg OS to/from Cairo.
If it's on a U.S. airline, I wouldn't be so sure. Twice I have witnessed a situation when both choices of meal in F (domestic) contained something from a pig-- barbecued port and salad with bacon bits.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
But why? on the same token all flights to and from TLV should have kosher meals by default....
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by jahason
I have never been able to find the answer to this question even when I have contacted British Airways. Does anyone know for sure?

If I book a halal meal then I guess my chances of upgrade (for free or cash) are reduced to zero.
You're chance isn't reduced to zero; it's simply reduced more because they'd rather upgrade someone who they don't have to worry about a special meal. But they're more likely going to have additional halal meals on a flight to Saudi Arabia.

Originally Posted by clubman
But why? on the same token all flights to and from TLV should have kosher meals by default....
Do you mean they should have kosher meals or all meals should be kosher? I thought the op's question was whether or meals are halal by default, and the parallel scenario I thought of was flights to/from TLV which are NOT kosher by default; you need to request kosher (except for Elal).
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by clubman
Maybe cause more Muslims flying to SA want only Halal, while most Israelis and Jews Dont want Kosher
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:55 am

Halal on BA etc

Originally Posted by jahason

Best to order halal as special meal as that certainty you are looking for is not possible. BA changed its suppliers years ago and since, even internally it's hard to get a straight answer from them. I work there and have tried many times. Upgrading at airport using 'airport upgrade promotion' is possible if you have a special meal request. When the AUP's were first introduced several years ago, it was not possible. They will now serve you the original class meal in the upgraded cabin. Operational upgrades (free surprise ones) usually won't happen for special meal customers, and now there's an internal robotic using algorithms which determines/processes the free upgrades. Brought in to eliminate possible corruption. Top frequent travellers, high yield tickets, service recovery for previous service failure etc are all part of that.
Food is picked up at outstation for all the return segments of flights to KSA, UAE, Pakistan etc (ie longhaul) so return meals are halal. Not picked up for mid haul (ALG, CAI, RAK etc) so not guaranteed halal. Hope this helps.

Last edited by AMultani; Dec 13, 2023 at 5:08 am
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:40 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
If you know it is Halal then you eat it and if you know it is not halal then you do not eat and if you are not sure then you can eat if you want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.