Choice Hotels to acquire Radisson Americas.

Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:45 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by rrgg
I asked about extending non-Americas points in the main thread, but this program has fewer ways to earn or redeem. I hope they keep the option to buy 1000 points for $7. If you transfer to miles at a horrible rate, only BA, AF, SAS are available.
If I want a chunk of RR for EU bookings, is it better to get them transferred from RR Worldwide to Worldwide account? - Do transfers work similarly to USA with phone call?
I am worried that RR USA points may get stuck and not be able to transfer them to my WW account.
Valuation of points
RR used to give 5 miles / $ spend
Choice card gives 2 points; so I think a 3-1 or 2-1 ratio is likely
Citi points transfer to Choice 1->2 as well
So per $ spend you get 2 TY points -> to 3 Choice with double cash or1 TY point -> 2 with Premier
est is to have a DC and a Premier = 2TY->4 Choice - beats having a Choice card

Last edited by ffI; Aug 28, 2022 at 12:07 pm
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Any kind of earning or redemption activity in the Radisson non-Americas program should extend the expiration period by 24 months. There are smaller loses to be had to get the extension than that conversion into airline miles.

Even transfers from the Global Points Transfer thing extend the expiration date.
Wouldn't a redemption of fully cancellable booking, then cancel it later also qualify as activity? It does with the America program.
If this mechanism works, there should not be any loss, shouldn't it?

Both Marriott and Hilton require consumed rewards, i.e. the redemption must be "used", i.e. a stay must happen and the property sends the night credit, in order to qualify as an activity.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg
I asked about extending non-Americas points in the main thread, but this program has fewer ways to earn or redeem. I hope they keep the option to buy 1000 points for $7. If you transfer to miles at a horrible rate, only BA, AF, SAS are available.
Were you able to find out the ways to extend non-Americas points? I just went thru the main thread you referred to but did not see any answer.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Were you able to find out the ways to extend non-Americas points? I just went thru the main thread you referred to but did not see any answer.
I think no one responded to me in the other thread. Since Radisson seems loose with their rules, my best answer is:
  • Easiest way: Transfer points to or from an Americas account works. Eventually this will be eliminated.
  • 2nd easiest: Booking and canceling an award must work, since it does for Americas. I didn't try.
  • 3rd: Buy/gift points, as long as Points.com keeps this relationship with non-Americas
  • Regular points earning: hotel stay, meeting, car rental, in-person shopping at Bicester Village
  • Unsure whether donating to a charity or converting points to miles work, but if I had to bet I'd say yes.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Transferring Radisson points to an airline is typically not the best use of points but everyone's situation can vary. If you are looking to move your Radisson US points out of the program before the merger and you need United points....this 30% bonus might work for you. Just figured I would share.

https://promo.united.com/offers/p2m?...mpaign=P2M2022
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:04 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by christianj
Transferring Radisson points to an airline is typically not the best use of points but everyone's situation can vary. If you are looking to move your Radisson US points out of the program before the merger and you need United points....this 30% bonus might work for you. Just figured I would share.

https://promo.united.com/offers/p2m?...mpaign=P2M2022
Your post made me pull the trigger to bail out and cut my future losses.Thank You.I was obsessive on potential lost value as a true FT member should be lol
Farewell last 200k for 26,000 UA miles (yes I know sad normally even worse) just another reason to not do business with them going forward
I thought clearly over my last 20 plus years with Radisson SAS/Blu/Red/Purple/Green/Yellow etc
Where they were and where they are today and what they may look like as a company.& program 5 years from now.

Historically the International side was led by the SAS group once a powerhouse not so much in building good loyalty programs
but Customer Relationship management and brand assurance
I was spell bound by a few stays back in the late 90s by the Radisson Copenhagen across from Tivoli Gardens and some select others in Scandinavia.
High standards and 100% Guest satisfaction led my confidence to an occasional customer whenever in the region happily .
For its day it was a solid dependable hard product and value
Food & Beverage were excellent.Kindness and dedication to the guest prevailed.

There was a time at checkout where you could check your bags in the lobby of the hotel with an SAS check in counter
skip airport check in and just hop on the plane
half an hour before boarding as long as you were flying SAS
Bags were checked through to your final destination and you had your boarding passes in hand.Pre 9-11
But times & eras have vastly changed also I'm getting older. Europe will now be a once a year thing may be twice?

Tend to prefer luxury and comfort when i go abroad and trust at this time in my life.
Who in their right mind wanting a premium or even reasonable experience with some very rare exceptions want to stay with the new Choice or Radisson in America?
They would have to give the house away IMO
The website mostly sucks and their customer service is now atrocious after closing the once excellent call centers in the Midwest?
I wouldn't trust them to reconfirm a reservation properly..

The reason to stay Radisson was if the property was good or if it wasn't you couldn't fail.
They would refund your money or points if it wasn't a great stay and most of the times it was very good.
However prior to the pandemic you could see the downhill spiral begin in cost cutting.
Food and beverage was the most noticeable decline.From loving breakfasts to hating it.
We ended up with a fantastic stay but walking to a nearby Marriott for a respectable breakfast
That was one of their key strengths years ago.It was always at least good sometimes very good or outstanding in fact once in Stockholm years ago
What on earth now does this new company now stand for? And who exactly owns this company?
Some Chinese investors with now horrible overwhelmed call centers with clueless agents in the Philippines even less desirable than IHG call centers?
Didn't think that was possible.My final message to their escalation team was never responded too

Their INT division doesn't even list an 800 number for the US guests to call
On the rare occasion I ever wish to stay with a preferred Radisson I am happy to pay and offer them no future loyalty.
My needs are very well served by other majors with far superior customer service and brand assurance that i trust.
For all those reasons I'm out.Have little to no trust in this company based on their business behavior to date.
Now no worries at all including expiring points liability .Good luck to all who decide to stay parked with Radisson/Choice A & or Radisson B
I'll be reading about all those hopefully happy trails and wish everyone much luck in hopes my thoughts may have been off point.
arollins likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Sep 5, 2022 at 2:12 pm
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:31 pm
soy

Programs: various
DP - the online transfer still works.
Created a new account and moved out some points to worldwide today for first time. Got error on first attempt, but second went fine (Chrome on desktop)
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:52 am

My most recent Radisson Rewards account statement email had the following blurb which indicates to me that we will hopefully soon see updates on merged program:

MORE PLACES TO USE POINTS IN 2023

The New Year promises new and exciting travel options for Radisson Rewards Americas members. Watch for new opportunities to use your points for Award Nights at over 7,000 Choice Hotel brands globally. Thank you for choosing us for your 2022 travel and look forward to even more rewarding travel options in 2023.
_kurt and centrifuge41 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 6:28 am

My most recent Radisson Rewards account statement email had the following blurb which indicates to me that we will hopefully soon see updates on merged program:

MORE PLACES TO USE POINTS IN 2023

The New Year promises new and exciting travel options for Radisson Rewards Americas members. Watch for new opportunities to use your points for Award Nights at over 7,000 Choice Hotel brands globally. Thank you for choosing us for your 2022 travel and look forward to even more rewarding travel options in 2023.
I saw that, as well. I wish they would give us some notice as to what the new program or combined program will look like, but I have a feeling that won't be the case.
christianj likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
Choice Privileges to Radisson Americas point conversion (and vice versa) is now live. Link. 1 Choice point = 2 Radisson Americas points.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by centrifuge41
Choice Privileges to Radisson Americas point conversion (and vice versa) is now live. Link. 1 Choice point = 2 Radisson Americas points.
I saw the news on TPG, and am disappointed in the 1:2 conversion, as I was so hoping that Choice would keep it simple at 1:1. I have little use for Choice Privileges--especially their 100-day booking window, but I suppose that I will need to adapt until I can burn my points.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TTT103
I saw the news on TPG, and am disappointed in the 1:2 conversion, as I was so hoping that Choice would keep it simple at 1:1. I have little use for Choice Privileges--especially their 100-day booking window, but I suppose that I will need to adapt until I can burn my points.
Frequent Miler gives Choice points a reasonable redemption value of $0.068 and Radisson (USA?) $0.034. Seems like Choice/Radisson agree.

https://frequentmiler.com/reasonable.../#Hotel_Points

I have never dabbled in the Choice program, but I still have some 300k Radisson points to burn.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Frequent Miler gives Choice points a reasonable redemption value of $0.068 and Radisson (USA?) $0.034. Seems like Choice/Radisson agree.

https://frequentmiler.com/reasonable.../#Hotel_Points

I have never dabbled in the Choice program, but I still have some 300k Radisson points to burn.
Blogger values are to be taken with a grain of salt and we all know that.....especially since the valuation is exactly 2x and are from 2021. Go figure!
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Blogger values are to be taken with a grain of salt and we all know that.....especially since the valuation is exactly 2x. Go figure!
Sure, I take them with a grain of salt, but FM in general is a bit different than, say, TPG. And they came up with the 2:1 relative value a while ago, not as a result of this transfer option opening up.

In other words, the transfer ratio Choice/Radisson are using seems reasonable.
Brendan, TTT103 and happychic like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 10:29 am

I'm also not a fan of Choice's 100-day booking window. Hopefully, that changes when/if they tweak the program.
Brendan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.