Choice Hotels to acquire Radisson Americas.

Old Jun 16, 22, 1:16 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tom_MN View Post
I am feeling burned because I kept the credit card for years to build up points to use in Norway, then the Norway trip finally came and I was not able to use them. Then I tried to use the points in Iceland last year and the reservation was lost in the brand break up process, I had to pay in cash for the stay and beg to have the points reinstated later.

Any good redemptions in Prague, Vienna, or Budapest? I could transfer the points to the other Radisson company and burn them up, I think I have 160,000.

I have a Choice account and could use the points, but at 2:1 that's 80,000 points and not the value that I put into them, $375.
​​​​​​

Norway is definitely a great place to use your Radisson points. There is one right at the Oslo airport for when you arrive. Then take the train downtown the next day and stay at one of the Radissons there.
blitzen likes this.
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:28 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Anaheim Radisson Blu

This Radisson is near Disneyland. They have a parking structure and charge for parking. It is a new hotel. They finished it right before COVID. They had to delay opening it because the theme parks were closed. It is expensive but maybe worth it if you plan on going to SoCal and have points that you need to burn.
Old Jun 19, 22, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom_MN View Post
Clarion Collection in Scandinavia is fabulous with intricate buffets for both breakfast and dinner (free). Cambria Suites is good. Quality hotels in Scandinavia are also fabulous.
And the great thing is, those Choice hotels are all over Norway (including in many places along the fjords), while Radissons are generally only in big cities in Scandinavia.

In fact, Choice and Best Western are the only hotel chains in most places along the fjords, and thus you need points in one or both of those programs if you want to use points to stay along the fjords.
gadberry likes this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I doubt it; at least unless and until Nordic Choice and the like gets around to cutting its ties with Choice in the US. And even then I doubt it. The Radisson Americas side is way cheaper to buy than the EMEA side. And Choice may be in a less financially advantageous position for additional acquisitions now than it was a few months back, more so now that it has the Americas to pay for.
But what about the possibility of another Choice division overseas buying the EMEA side of Radisson (or splitting it up further)? There's not just Choice USA and Nordic Choice, but I don't know how many there are.

If Radisson EMEA became part of an overseas Choice division, you could presumably redeem USA Choice points for overseas Radisson properties without having to transfer them, just like you can with many overseas Choice properties now.
Old Jun 19, 22, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
But what about the possibility of another Choice division overseas buying the EMEA side of Radisson (or splitting it up further)? There's not just Choice USA and Nordic Choice, but I don't know how many there are.

If Radisson EMEA became part of an overseas Choice division, you could presumably redeem USA Choice points for overseas Radisson properties without having to transfer them, just like you can with many overseas Choice properties now.
If this were 2019, that may have had a better chance than it may have now. But given the regional franchise division probably includes a regional exclusivity benefit for the regional franchise partner, acquiring a global brand sounds like a recipe to step on feet across multiple regions and thus come with their own problems that undermine the value to be had for both the acquiring and the acquired even if this were 2019.
Old Jun 30, 22, 11:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by gadberry View Post
This Radisson is near Disneyland. They have a parking structure and charge for parking. It is a new hotel. They finished it right before COVID. They had to delay opening it because the theme parks were closed. It is expensive but maybe worth it if you plan on going to SoCal and have points that you need to burn.
This is becoming a Marriott...
gadberry likes this.
Old Jul 6, 22, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by stvr View Post
This is becoming a Marriott...
Source?
Old Jul 9, 22, 7:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by happychic View Post
Source?
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...rtfolio-hotel/

Address, description, and photos match up to the Blu
happychic likes this.
Old Jul 9, 22, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by LSEGallipot View Post
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...rtfolio-hotel/

Address, description, and photos match up to the Blu
Wow! It didn't last long under Radisson as a flagship property.
Old Jul 9, 22, 10:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK the two MN Radisson Blus, downtown Minneapolis and MOA, are still stylish and decent.
TTT103 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 22, 3:01 pm

Programs: Club Carlson, BA, Hilton, Miles N More
I have found the best value for Radisson Points is in Poland. Their hotels are all far above average, many are brand new, and all have lower point spends. This, along with the strength of the dollar, makes it an outstanding value destination.
christianj and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jul 9, 22, 3:04 pm

Programs: Club Carlson, BA, Hilton, Miles N More
Deleted, sorry mistake

Last edited by nickknock1; Jul 9, 22 at 3:06 pm Reason: mistake
Old Jul 17, 22, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA MM, MR LT Plat
Diversification strategy?

Once Choice announces the points conversion ratio, we still have time to transfer the points to the non-Americas side of Radisson?

For those of us in the US, Radisson points will be hard to earn going forward, so I'm inclined to keep my 160k points on the Radisson side.

In the future, we might even be able to use Radisson points for the Jin Jiang chain, which was the world's 2nd largest hotel chain as of 2019.
Old Jul 18, 22, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
eethan At this point no one (outside of maybe Choice and Radisson US management) exactly knows what the plans are. One would hope that they give us adequate time to transfer Radisson US points out to the Radisson International program when they announce the plans for the Radisson US/Choice merger but who knows.

As for using Radisson International points for Jin Jiang properties, that's only going to really appeal to those that travel to China....that is unless they roll in Groupe du Louvrre Hotels which Jin Jiang also owns but that seems like a lot of wishful thinking at this point since GdL was never added in as a Radisson International partner before.
Old Jul 25, 22, 12:03 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
Once Choice announces the points conversion ratio, we still have time to transfer the points to the non-Americas side of Radisson?

For those of us in the US, Radisson points will be hard to earn going forward, so I'm inclined to keep my 160k points on the Radisson side.

In the future, we might even be able to use Radisson points for the Jin Jiang chain, which was the world's 2nd largest hotel chain as of 2019.
Choice is more like a no-advance-notice player in the space when it comes to changes hitting Choice’s own program members. The one thing you may have working in your favor is that Choice’s IT expenditures may keep the window open longer. But it could also shut down the window unexpectedly because of an IT limitation. .

Search this Thread