Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson Hotel Group | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

London Heathrow - two new hotels - Red and Radisson announced

Old Sep 9, 20, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold

Odd press release stating it is the "first Radisson in the UK" which I guess means the first Radisson and not Radisson Blu.....didn't realize they were marketing these two as separate brands outside of the US.

https://www.radissonhotelgroup.com/m...ondon-heathrow

Last edited by christianj; Sep 9, 20 at 8:18 am
Old Sep 10, 20, 12:54 am

Programs: JGC,SFC, BestWestern DS, Choice D, HH G, Hyatt Dis, IHG S, Marriott G, Radisson G, Wyndham D, Sixt P
These hotels were "Park Inn by Radisson London Heathrow Airport Hotel" before.
I never stay here but I was considering to stay as transit hotel.
https://www.traveloka.com/en-id/hote...-1000000200713
Old Sep 10, 20, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Have they refurbished the hotel? I stayed once a few years back and thought it was a dump. Great way to ruin your "premium" brands by attaching them to a lousy hotel.
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Global1Flyer View Post
These hotels were "Park Inn by Radisson London Heathrow Airport Hotel" before.
I never stay here but I was considering to stay as transit hotel.
I was wondering if it was the Park Inn but there was no information to indicate it was. Are you sure?

I've stayed at the Park Inn and it was ok for 1 night but not any place I would run back to but for the price I paid it was acceptable.

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Have they refurbished the hotel? I stayed once a few years back and thought it was a dump. Great way to ruin your "premium" brands by attaching them to a lousy hotel.
I doubt they could take the Park Inn and turn it into a Radisson Red without a significant reno due to the completely different look and feel of the Red brand. As for the Radisson part....that might not need as much of a reno since Radisson (not Radisson Blu) seems to sometimes be of iffy quality...at least in the US. I would however think if they are promoting this as the "first Radisson" in the UK that it would make sense to also renovate the Park Inn rooms that are going to be part of the Radisson part to their new light wood modern decor which is actually pretty nice.

Last edited by christianj; Sep 11, 20 at 5:53 am
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj View Post
I was wondering if it was the Park Inn but there was no information to indicate it was. Are you sure?

I've stayed at the Park Inn and it was ok for 1 night but not any place I would run back to but for the price I paid it was acceptable.

I doubt they could take the Park Inn and turn it into a Radisson Red without a significant reno due to the completely different look and feel of the Red brand. As for the Radisson part....that might not need as much of a reno since Radisson (not Radisson Blu) seems to sometimes be of iffy quality...at least in the US. I would however think if they are promoting this as the "first Radisson" in the UK that it would make sense to also renovate the Park Inn rooms that are going to be part of the Radisson part to their new light wood modern decor which is actually pretty nice.
@ZRH they turned the PI into a reg Rad sort of like putting lipstick on a pig. Yea they changed a few things but after staying there once Id still stay away, wouldnt expect much from London either
Old Sep 11, 20, 10:45 am

Programs: JGC,SFC, BestWestern DS, Choice D, HH G, Hyatt Dis, IHG S, Marriott G, Radisson G, Wyndham D, Sixt P

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...4!4d-0.4512468
Old Sep 14, 20, 6:02 am

Odd press release stating it is the "first Radisson in the UK" which I guess means the first Radisson and not Radisson Blu.....didn't realize they were marketing these two as separate brands outside of the US.
Yes, they are distinct brands everywhere...not just in the United States. The various brands can be found here:

https://www.radissonhotelgroup.com/brands
Old Sep 14, 20, 5:08 pm

You can check brand and location at here
https://www.radissonhotels.com/en-us/destination
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
Yes, they are distinct brands everywhere...not just in the United States. The various brands can be found here:

https://www.radissonhotelgroup.com/brands
I do realize that Radisson is one of their brands....what I did not realize is that they are actively pushing the Radisson brand outside of the territories where it is currently used since it does get associated with the highest level of quality.....at least for US travelers.
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do realize that Radisson is one of their brands....what I did not realize is that they are actively pushing the Radisson brand outside of the territories where it is currently used since it does get associated with the highest level of quality.....at least for US travelers.

Could it be they are doing away with the Park Inn brand and uping the PIs to a higher level Rad , not sure Rad Red comes in probably bet PI and Rad?
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Did you miss a "not" i.e. does NOT get associated with quality?

US Radisson --> a dump desperate for investment. (in my experience before I decided to never stay at one again)

Radisson Blus can be quite good, so I can see the point behind the half-hearted effort to build Radisson Red as a brand ahead of the basic Radisson one...
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Radisson Blus can be quite good, so I can see the point behind the half-hearted effort to build Radisson Red as a brand ahead of the basic Radisson one...
Radisson Red is quite a bit more basic than a Radisson Blu. I think they're trying to capture some of that market of 20- and 30-somethings.

It's like Moxy, Indigo, Tru by Hilton and such. Midscale properties. Rooms often on the smaller side. A bit more focus on communal areas.

I haven't stayed at the PI in Heathrow. Couldn't imagine using the rebranded property unless someone here confirms it's been extensively refurbished.
Old Sep 17, 20, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by craz View Post
Could it be they are doing away with the Park Inn brand and uping the PIs to a higher level Rad , not sure Rad Red comes in probably bet PI and Rad?
I suppose anything is possible with COVID, but I doubt that's happening. Eight new Park Inns by Radisson were announced for India at the beginning of this year. A newly built 60-room one was opened in Florence, South Caroline in July. And an 84-room one opened today (September 17, 2020) in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (apparently with the world's first female Saudi General Manager).

India: https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4097054.html
Florence, SC: https://www.radissonhotelgroup.com/m...south-carolina
Jeddah: https://www.radissonhotelgroup.com/m...eneral-manager

-----

[Start of my general comment...not directly related to the above quote.]

There appears to be confusion about Radisson's brand stratification. That's normal, as they aren't particularly distinct. Although to be fair to Radisson, I'm not sure any major hotel group has an intelligible list of differentiated brands. (At least Radisson only has 7 brands, not 15+ like other companies.)

Also confusing things is the fact that there's no one agreed-upon classification scheme. One company will use the more traditional terms (upscale, upper-upscale) while another introduces their own terminology (premium). It's a bit like trying to compare two mattresses. Because there's no uniform scheme, it can be extremely difficult to compare the products across different companies. (Plus, there can be a massive range in quality within a brand, as christianj accurately notes.)

Finally, ratings further confuse the situation. Personally, I'm a fan of AAA's rating system because it's based (as much as if can be) on quantitative instead of qualitative criteria. (i.e. Did the Front Desk clerk use the guest's name during check-in?) But in order to truly understand rating systems, you have to realize that they are contingent upon hotel type.

By that I mean that a huge full-service resort with multiple restaurants and massive pool with a lazy river and an extended-stay hotel next to an airport with free breakfast can both earn a 3-Diamond/3-Star rating. But that equal rating doesn't mean the properties are equal. It simply means that the resort is average when compared to other resorts. And, the extended-stay hotel is average compared to other extended-stay properties.

----

Here's how Radisson stratifies their brands.

Upper Upscale:
- Radisson Blue
- Park Plaza
Upscale:
- Radisson
- Radisson Red (select service)
Upper Midscale:
- Park Inn by Radisson
- Country Inns and Suites by Radisson

Depends on the Location (catch-all):
- Radisson Collection

Taken from: https://www.radissonhotelgroup.com/brands