Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Radisson Americas extended points expiration to June 20, 2022, but many members received 100 free points that extends the account to November 2023

To extend the expiration date without a stay:
Print Wikipost

Best way to extend the points expiration?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
Best way to extend the points expiration?

My Radisson Rewards points are expiring in 2 months.
Is there any way I could extend the points?

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you want to know the best way or any way? (Your title asks one question, but your post asks a different question.)

Purchasing the minimum (is it still $7 as an old post mentioned?) number of points would do it if the question is "any". But it may or may not qualify if the question is "best".

Also, what is "best" may vary depending on where you're based. For example, the "best" if you have two months and are based in the USA might for some be getting a Radisson Rewards credit card, but that might not be an option at all if you're based in some other country.

And anyway, as these examples point out, "best" is likely to be in the eye of the beholder.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
Thanks sdsearch. If it is just $7, then I would be happy to buy points to extend the points.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by kay_jay
My Radisson Rewards points are expiring in 2 months.
Is there any way I could extend the points?

Thanks.
The easiest way to keep the miles from expiring is to book an award stay, then cancel it the next day.
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjst198
The easiest way to keep the miles from expiring is to book an award stay, then cancel it the next day.
Just notice both our account balances will expire 02/2020. I cannot find anywhere on Club Carlson site the information on the account expiry policy, let alone what activities are deemed eligible to extend the account balance.

1) One account had a redemption in Sept 2018 and later canceled in Oct 2018 due to no longer needed.
That account has 02/2020 expiration date.

2) Another account had a 5 pts from the credit card posted on 01/05/2019 - and that account also has an expiration date of 02/2020. It also had a redemption in March 2019 and later canceled in April 2019, due to plan changed and no longer needed overnight stay at YVR airport hotel.

This brings to the following questions -

1) If booking and cancelling an award would extend the account for the next 24 months, how come the account has such activities (actually it had a booking and cancellation in May 2018 for same reason, no longer needed the stay), has an expiration of 02/2020 instead of 09/2020, 24 months from the 09/2018 reward redemption?

2) The other account that had 5 pts earning from CC posted to account on 01/05/2019, still has the expiration of 02/2020 - shouldn't that be 12/2020 or 02/2021, given credit card earning definitely an eligible activity?

From the above timelines, either the expiration dates in our accounts are wrong, or Club Carlson's 24 months are not really 24 months rolling from the last activity... There is absolutely no explanation on HOW 2 accounts with different last activity dates would have the identical 02/2020 expiration date. Besides, the original poster opened this thread in August saying his points expiring in 2 months - so that is how a rolling 24 months work.

Something seems wrong with our accounts that both have 02/2020 yet neither account last activity has come close to the 24 months cut off, especially account No.2 had CC pts posted in Jan 2019.

I am confused on how Club Carlson calculates its expiration dates - it does not look like how most other programs work, as it is a specific month or date for each account, but all accounts have the same expiration date of Feb of the year from the previous year in the case of No.2. Or the previous 2 years, in the case of No.1.

Obviously if booking a fully refundable award stay and later cancel would work, that would be ideal. However
since both accounts have had redemption and cancellation, No.1 in Sept 2018, and No.2 in Mar 2019 - both have the same Feb 2020 expiration date... That is far from being 24 months especially from the No.2
account - it seems the redemption / cancellation no longer count as eligible activity ..

Can those who are more familiar of the program give some explanation, especially on how the 24 months are defined? or the program always have Feb as expiration - Feb 1st or End of Feb, if so?

Purchase points are still at $7 per 1000 Also e-Rewards remains the transfer partner - would that count too?

How about transfer from e-Reward? Would that count?

Last edited by Happy; Nov 2, 2019 at 12:01 am
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
You had me worried so I checked my account and mine also says 2/20, but I think I figured it out. It's the membership expiration, not the point expiration. The redesign/transition from Club Carlson and Radisson Rewards makes it confusing. Seems to be pretty standard that points from the credit card spend are considered point activity like IHG, Hilton and others that have credit cards too.

Some notes from the T&C: https://www.radissonhotels.com/en-us...and-conditions

Once you qualify for Elite Status, you will maintain that status for the remainder of the then-current calendar year and through the following Program year, which runs from March 1 to February 28/29.
Thus the 2/20 expiration, with the RR credit card it should renew automatically in 2020 and change to 2/2021.

Expiration of Points and Termination of Membership:

i. Expiration of Points: If there is no points activity in your Radisson Rewards account for any 24-month period, we may, at any time and in our sole discretion and without notice or liability to you, void and cancel any or all of your points.
Earning Points:

i. At Participating Properties: Radisson Rewards members may earn 20 points per U.S. dollar spent on Room Charges and Eligible Food and Beverages at Participating Properties. Discount does not apply to tax or tip, alcoholic beverages, room service or in-room dining, catering or banquets, or group or parties of six or more. You must provide your Radisson Rewards member number when the reservation is made or at check-in. No points will be earned and no Eligible Nights/Stay for earning Elite Status will be credited if a property ceases to be a Participating Property after a reservation is made but before an Eligible Stay.

Points are considered earned once the stay has been completed, all charges have been fully paid, and the points have been added to your account. Points are not available for redemption before an Eligible Stay has been completed, fully paid and added to your account. Points may be earned by only one Radisson Rewards member per Eligible Stay, and that member must appear on the reservation and be the registered guest.

Points may be earned on up to three rooms booked under the same reservation, but credit for multiple rooms must be requested at or before the time of check-in and the member must appear on the reservation for at least one of the booked rooms and be a registered guest for the duration of the Eligible Stay. Points may not be earned for any other reservations that do not include the Radisson Rewards member’s name on the reservation and for which the member is not the registered guest.

ii. Through Partners: Radisson Rewards members may earn points with our Partners. These opportunities may vary based on the Radisson Rewards member’s country of residence, may not be available to all members, are subject to change at any time without notice, are governed by these Program Terms, and are subject to additional terms and conditions as required by an individual Partner. Partners are independent entities and we are not responsible for the nature or quality of products or services provided by any Partners, nor for any solicitation or marketing efforts by any Partners. You are responsible for complying with Partners terms and conditions, and privacy and usage policies. We are not responsible for and assume no liability for the terms, changes or discontinuances of Partners’ terms, conditions, privacy and usage policies, products or services.

Radisson Rewards members may not earn points and Partner benefits for the same activity. By providing your Radisson Rewards member number to a Participating Property, you indicate your preference to earn points.

iii. Purchasing Points: We may offer Radisson Rewards members, from time to time and in our sole discretion, the option to purchase points. We currently offer members the option to purchase points through Points.com. Additional terms and conditions apply, and may be found at www.radissonhotels.com/en-us/rewards/redeem/points. Points that are purchased are subject to these Program Terms. Any other sale, purchase, barter, auction, gift, transfer or assignment of points, except as may be specifically allowed in these Program Terms, is prohibited and will not be honored.

iv. Radisson RewardsTM Visa® Card: Radisson Rewards members who reside in the U.S. may earn points and qualify for additional benefits by using the Radisson Rewards Visa Card. Additional terms and conditions apply, and may be found at www.radissonrewardsvisa.com/credit/welcome.do.

v. Radisson Rewards for Business: Additional points can be earned by special event planners and other business professionals who plan meetings and conferences along with booking hotel stays for their company's business travelers.

1. Earning Points for Event Purchases: Meeting & Event Planner Members may earn 5 points per dollar spent for Event Purchases. Points for Event Purchases may not be earned where prohibited by applicable law, rule or regulation. You must request to earn points for Event Purchases at the time the meeting, event or convention is booked by including your name and Radisson Rewards membership number on the contract with the Participating Property. Event Purchases must be applied to one master bill in order to be eligible for points. Only one Radisson Rewards member may earn points for Event Purchases. You do not have to attend the meeting or event to be eligible to earn points for Event Purchases. Some services and amenities may not be provided directly by the Participating Property, and these and other charges, including charges for cancellation, attrition and other payments, may not be eligible as Event Purchases. Nights or stays associated with a meeting or event do not count towards your Elite Status.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lmwong1977
You had me worried so I checked my account and mine also says 2/20, but I think I figured it out. It's the membership expiration, not the point expiration. The redesign/transition from Club Carlson and Radisson Rewards makes it confusing. Seems to be pretty standard that points from the credit card spend are considered point activity like IHG, Hilton and others that have credit cards too.

Some notes from the T&C: https://www.radissonhotels.com/en-us...and-conditions

Thus the 2/20 expiration, with the RR credit card it should renew automatically in 2020 and change to 2/2021.
I canceled my credit card a couple days ago because the annual fee will be billed on Nov 4th the statement closing date. I should have used the card in Sept for the Oct statement so it would generate an activity but I totally forgot about it when being wrapped up by getting ready for a very long trip that we just returned in 3rd week of Oct. I figure since it is 24 months I have another year to generate some activity... then when I took a look on my account, I am shocked to see the 02/2020 date.

Why would they have a Membership Expiration? What is the point for such differentiation? A membership expires while the points not? Does not seem very logical to me.

BUT the important question is, HOW do we know the REAL Expiration Date for Points? Where to see such information on the new site?

I must admit I have not kept up with the development ever since changing our focus to other programs. Is there any way to find the information online or we must call Radisson CS to find out? And how can we be assured on what the CS tells us?

Marriott gives the exact date of your points expiration. Can't remember how Hilton display but we have the no fee HH cards which would have AMEX offers during a year's time so we dont pay much attention to that. IHG as long as you have their cards your pts dont expire. Another no brainer. However the Club Carlson credit card is pretty much worth less these days, with the points being devalued so much and their footprints do not work well for us the past couple years, we decide not to keep paying the annual fee for the hardly to use points.

I have sent an email per the email address on their site. I will also call and then update the thread. The telephone number(s) listed, are different - the number listed in the bottom of the T&C page is 1-888-288-8889, and is not the same number 1-800-447-7011 on another page which you would find under Radisson Reward on the redesign.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 2, 2019 at 12:18 am
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Why would they have a Membership Expiration? What is the point for such differentiation? A membership expires while the points not? Does not seem very logical to me.
It's just poor phrasing. It says:

Radisson Rewards member XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
exp. date 02/20

The first field should say "member number", not just "member", and the second field should say "status level exp. date", not just "exp. date".

It has nothing to do with expiration of points. There's no reason it would show the same date for everyone if it were an expiration of points. (I had activity just a couple months ago, and it's also showing 02/20 for me.)

Ie, all hotel programs and airline program that have status have that status expire early each year, some in February, some in March, etc.

What you're seeing here is Radisson's general stupidity with phrasing things on their website.

Meanwhile, not all programs show points expiration. I don't recall seeing it at Hilton. It's hit and miss at Wyndham. Etc. So with as messed-up as Radisson Rewards' website is, I wouldn't expect any better.

However, you can search My Activity on the Radisson website back 2 years, which matches the 24 months within which you need it to stave off points expiration. So at Radisson you may have to figure out points expiration on your own (especially if it's not close; some programs only show you points expiration when it comes close and/or email you about it when it comes close).

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 2, 2019 at 11:29 am
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alright, got email replies on the subject.

The expiry date shown is for the Tiers as others figured out.

The point expiration is based on the last activity within 24 months. It seems the reps still see the cancellation of an award stay being the last activity in the system. So yes, this still works, although all our cancellations were due to we either no longer needed an overnight stay at an airport or we no longer visited the same city.

Radisson needs to do a better job on its new website to more clearly show the pertinent information. Unfortunately this might be an unrealistic, wishful thinking from our part.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 1:24 pm
ALW

Originally Posted by tjst198
This is really clever. In the rare years when I've had no activity I've just tended to transfer the minimum to UA and to BA (which were on a 18mo and 36mo themselves), but now UA has no expiry I think, and I'm down to my last 300K RR points. Maybe going forward I'll do that award thing.

I note they now have more options for redemption, including charity donation and retail gift cards. On the latter, they're offering C$25 (=U$18.83) for 18K points in a bunch of retailers. That doesn't seem like great value since a lot of CI&S properties (which is where we end up for about 3 nights a year) can be had for 2 of those or less (28K or 38K for decent CI&S, though that's overpriced as a redemption too). Or am I missing something on the gift cards? They're typically not good value on any program that has its own product to sell.

Thanks.
=aw
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:31 am

I just cancelled the minute after I created a points reservation, and then I live chatted and the rep says I have two years from my last activity, which she confirmed was today. I casually mentioned that I wasn't sure if my cancelled reservation counted, and she says "yes, it does." So there you have it. They're not afraid to admit that cancelled reservations reset the clock!
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:17 am

Easiest Solution

I was notified that my point balance would expire in 3 months since I didn't have any activity since mid-2019. I booked a one night Country Inn & Suites reservation in NE for 9,000 points. I cancelled the reservation the next day (waited one day out of caution, but prior post shows you can likely cancel right away). Immediately after cancelling, I confirmed with CS over the phone that due to the recent activity in my account, my expiration had reset to 2 years from today. I asked about if the cancellation would impact this and explained what I had done to keep my account active. Her response was "that was clever!" but it still counts as activity
Brendan, YUL, kevino and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
I received an email from Radisson today telling me my points would expire soon, and listing the various ways I could extend them, including redeeming, earning with a stay, and buying points. It is still $7 for 1000 points.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 11:58 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Also, a related question -- I read on pages like this that Radisson Americas recently extended *some* members' points by 2 years to Nov 2023. But I for example didn't get an email or see any such extension. Are they giving it out if you request it?

https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/11/12/...november-2023/
Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
Also, a related question -- I read on pages like this that Radisson Americas recently extended *some* members' points by 2 years to Nov 2023. But I for example didn't get an email or see any such extension. Are they giving it out if you request it?

https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/11/12/...november-2023/
I do not receive email of either effect - not the expiration on Dec 31, nor the extension. I redeemed $25 eReward currency (1000 pts) on Dec 1st. eRwards said it will take 2 to 4 weeks.
Back in Aug 2020 it took 4 days for the redemption to show up. But now it is a new program, even with new account number. Who knows?
Hopefully it will show up in a week.

I could do an award stay redemption thing if there is still no posting after 2 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.