What Club Carlson hotel to book in Dubai?

Reply

Old Mar 28, 19, 8:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,839
What Club Carlson hotel to book in Dubai?

We are three including a 4 year old child and planning to visit for a week near the end of December. I do see award availability on several Radisson Blu. The most expensive being Waterfront and Dubai Marina, and then on Diera and the apartment Oasis. Do any of these offer breakfast for gold members? The one that says apartment oasis sounds good with kitchen but reviews are bad.

What is your recommendation?

Thanks
Blueskyheaven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 19, 11:09 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold
Posts: 193
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven View Post
We are three including a 4 year old child and planning to visit for a week near the end of December. I do see award availability on several Radisson Blu. The most expensive being Waterfront and Dubai Marina, and then on Diera and the apartment Oasis. Do any of these offer breakfast for gold members? The one that says apartment oasis sounds good with kitchen but reviews are bad.

What is your recommendation?

Thanks
I assume this is a leisure visit. Waterfornt is a pure business-oriented hotel which is modern and quite expensive. Dubai Marina is an aparthotel (which might be best for a family) but it got a bit dated. Make sure you request quiet room not facing the highway. Deira is my favourite - its older, but they recently completed renovations and its very close to the metro. Also good for families as there are pools and children's menus in their cafes/restaurants. Oasis is quite far from the major transport links, might take you hours or a few taxi fares to get in and out. Can't comment on breakfasts for gold as I am currently a platinum member. You might also consider an Ajman hotel, it is far from Dubai but its new and they have a daily morning and evening shuttle to Dubai Mall.
dimon84 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 19, 12:55 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,839
Originally Posted by dimon84 View Post
I assume this is a leisure visit. Waterfornt is a pure business-oriented hotel which is modern and quite expensive. Dubai Marina is an aparthotel (which might be best for a family) but it got a bit dated. Make sure you request quiet room not facing the highway. Deira is my favourite - its older, but they recently completed renovations and its very close to the metro. Also good for families as there are pools and children's menus in their cafes/restaurants. Oasis is quite far from the major transport links, might take you hours or a few taxi fares to get in and out. Can't comment on breakfasts for gold as I am currently a platinum member. You might also consider an Ajman hotel, it is far from Dubai but its new and they have a daily morning and evening shuttle to Dubai Mall.
If I choose the Radisson in Diera, then there are plenty of affordable Indian and Nepalese food options nearby right? Is this hotel walking distance to Bur Dubai area? I would like to know any upgrade or benefit for Gold members. Thanks
Blueskyheaven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 19, 2:54 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 239
As a Platinum did you get lounge access at the deira property?
AAbruflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 19, 7:40 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DTW
Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R
Posts: 1,888
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven View Post
If I choose the Radisson in Diera, then there are plenty of affordable Indian and Nepalese food options nearby right? Is this hotel walking distance to Bur Dubai area? I would like to know any upgrade or benefit for Gold members. Thanks
This is the old Dubai where you get tons of Indian, Middle Eastern, and South Asian dining options and you'd wish to stay longer. My favorite is Persian barbecue, usually very expensive but Diera has soltani plate for around $10.
vincewy is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 19, 10:18 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,839
I may consider this if they give you the ROYAL CLUB lounge access for gold members. Hate to wake up to to search for breakfast outside. Any mcdonalds very close to this? Otherwise I will look at hilton properties.
Blueskyheaven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 19, 3:13 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold
Posts: 193
Originally Posted by AAbruflyer View Post
As a Platinum did you get lounge access at the deira property?
yes, i did. It was a stated benefit on a welcome letter which was a nice surprise. Lounge is nothing special though.
dimon84 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 19, 1:35 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 239
What about food options in the evening? Like a Marriott exec lounge?
AAbruflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 19, 1:08 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,839
Originally Posted by dimon84 View Post
yes, i did. It was a stated benefit on a welcome letter which was a nice surprise. Lounge is nothing special though.
What is CC platinum? I thought it was silver, gold and Concierge. Mine is Gold. Any upgrade to lounge for Gold members at any radisson in Dubai?

Thanks
Blueskyheaven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 19, 3:49 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold
Posts: 193
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven View Post
What is CC platinum? I thought it was silver, gold and Concierge. Mine is Gold. Any upgrade to lounge for Gold members at any radisson in Dubai?

Thanks
Concierge does not exist anymore so does Club Carlson. Its called Radisson Rewards now.
dimon84 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 19, 5:34 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by AAbruflyer View Post
What about food options in the evening? Like a Marriott exec lounge?
Stayed there in November 2018. Food options for breakfast included a decent buffet, some hots, turkey sausages/bacon, potatoes, fruit, pastries etc, but eggs/omelette etc can be had to order. We found it plentiful and more than enough to get you to mid afternoon.
The "Afternoon Tea" 3-5 I think was just a few pastries and some fruit.
Evenings consisted of mostly finger food, Chicken Wings, skewers and the like, pastries/fruit again.
Alcohol was in plentiful supply, but waiter service. However the odd 5 or 10 dirhams now and again seems to keep you well supplied.
Lounge is nicely presented, some soft lounge furniture and private tables, with maybe 4 - 6 private tables for 2 overlooking the creek.

I am Radisson Gold however, so wouldn't have been entitled to free breakfast, you do get an upgrade if available, but most likely not to an Exec room for Lounge access. But some Radissons DO allow you to book an Exec room for extra points, a "Premium Room Reward".
I was able to book a Premium Room Reward in Deira Creek for 4 nights (66,000) per night, which gave me an Exec Room, breakfast, and lounge access.
However THAT was in November. I'm back in Dubai in a few weeks and given Radisson had a points re-shuffle last month (some hotels went up a category, some went down), I looked for the same deal again. I was initially delighted to see that Radisson Deira Creek had dropped a category, and a Premium Room Reward had reduced to 57,000 points!

BUT, on closer inspection, although a Premium Room Reward reduced in points, it now gets you a SUPERIOR room, not an EXEC room!! All you will get now is a bigger room, no breakfast, and NO lounge access!

Aside that, the hotel is actually part of a larger complex, and on the ground floor there are a large number of restaurants to choose from, Thai, Indian, Arab, European, Japanese, you name it! We had a few meals at the Thai and it was excellent, and very reasonable!

However, given the reduction in the Premium Reward we have moved our stay this time about 200 metres up the creek to Hilton... and we'll just walk to the Thai :-)
fivebobbill is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread